Page 886 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 38678683687688488588688788889693698613861886 ... LastLast
Results 13,276 to 13,290 of 39427

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    its a start of a little bit of a story.

For a while now, I've been playing around with CDI's (to the point of even trying to make one myself).
    Back in 2010 I got myself an ignitech P2 and fell in love with it (amazing value for money and recommend them to nearly everyone).

But; with over 9 bucket bikes in the GPR fleet (including 50, sidecars and some other gems); its a little to expensive to have ignitech's on everything, so we are stuck with the age old problem "shit CDIs" or swapping CDI's....

So as part of the my original search (2010) I stumbled across a Chinese MC forum where a young man named Dragon was prototyping a CDI; which I followed with some interest (along with some correspondence; and a simple wish list).

Well he managed to do it and start producing the units. And yes you can buy them directly out of china.
    Sitting on my desk is a Version 1.04 (o.k so its a version 4) after fighting Customs....
    Attachment 291011

After working through the Chinese Complied version; I now have a Engrish (not quite English) version of the software installed and running.
    Attachment 291012

Thus far; now we have it in a state where we can do something:
    Once you get the USB dongle installed, the software and CDI will happily talk without any connection to a 12v battery (this is cool as I can play with it in my office rather than in the shed).
    Adding and moving points (up to 120 points; but five to seven will do) and programming is a piece of piss.
    The CDI micro's clock speed is significantly higher than that of the ignitech (so the number of points at the moment doesn't seem to be an issue).
    Two or four stroke (single or twin) it doesn't matter.
    half effect trigger as a primary (but it looks like it will take other trigger options)

Extra Features:
    Bugger all at the moment.
    Kill switch, quickshifter (ok internal modification of the killswitch; with a time delayed spark). plus adjustable MAP and RPM limiter.
    Price = ~$150 for the chinese version currently (but I'm working on that too)...

From here:
    Should be on the bike this week (on the dyno) and I'll see if I can break it.
    If it survives then I'll carry on the translation of the installation manual/wiring diagrams and help improve the Engrish in the software further...

Its not an Ignitech (if you want that level of performance/features get an Ignitech);
    But hopefully its better than a clapped out 20 year old MX CDI, which would likely still cost more...

I'll keep everyone in the loop.
    Worth a look .......

Bike
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Pretty bad that they spell his name wrong in the subtitle.
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    Suzuki GT500 1976

First Steps....

Chaps, experiencing a sense of finishing a good book- been reading the thread for the last few months and tonight I get to the end.
    (Now all I have to do is re-read the notes I've made along the way!)
    Thanks for a brilliant read, I've learnt as much -if not more- in the last 800 odd pages as I have from messing about tuning 2 strokes over the last 20 years.
    If you'll allow the typical newbie flurry of questions I'd be grateful.
    My class of choice has some draconian rules - limited choice of cylinders, no welding (or "adding material")to case or cylinder & no frame mods.
    Engine is 66.5 x 57 (210cc) air-cooled, piston ported inlet, single exhaust port, A & B ports + a poxy C port fed through the piston above the inlet port, HPI programmable ignition. Blown exhaust of someone elses design - which will be changing. Current BHP 30.4 @9500 on Dynojet inertia. I'm looking for 36 -38 hp for next season using what I've learnt here, which is roughly what the fastest chaps are getting.
    So, I am stuck with a long inlet manifold of about 90 mm along center line, which curves about 35* What would be better for power: shorter & more curved or longer and straighter? Should the cross sectional area remain the same all the way through?
    I'm allowed any carb (but no injection thank god given the last few pages) so I'm using a 39mm Dellorto flatside. Going to cast my own manifold having been inspired by Fletter
    Thanks in advance & brace yourselves for a barrage of question s
    Cheers, Dave

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Hi DasiyB, can you post some pictures of your project, they would be interesting to see. A link to a photo bucket some place would be easiest, or you will have to make 5 or 10??? general posts here before you can post pictures. Regards TeeZee.

Bike
    Suzuki GT500 1976
    Hi TZ,
    I'm off down the workshop tomorrow evening so will take some pictures. Then the cat will be out of the bag in that my chosen field is Lambretta racing (and Vespa tuning) Which I'd sort of hoped to gloss over given the reaction one other Vespa rider usually garners

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    That's only 'cause he acted like a bit of a dick.

Having only had one stint scooter racing I'd be spending all my time into chassis improvements & a larger rear brake so you could use it to wind the chassis & engine up & let it go at the right point of time.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Hot scooters are way cool. There used to be a small crowd turn up at bucket racing with some very interesting machines. I bought a 125 4T Yamaha for commuting so I wouldn't be tempted to modify it. HA! That didn't quite turn out how I expected. It's now big bore cylinder, stroker crank, big head & cam, big carb, 205cc Taiwanese special. Photos would be interesting.

Bike
    Norton Manx
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyB View Post
    ... my chosen field is Lambretta racing (and Vespa tuning) Which I'd sort of hoped to gloss over given the reaction one other Vespa rider usually garners
    I wouldn't worry, its not a scooter thing, its that SS90 always needed to be right even when he was wrong, his behavior got in the way of anything interesting he might have had to say.
    Factual Facts are based on real Fact and Universal Truths. Alternative Facts by definition are not based on Truth.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI

Machining out the 360 cases. CC601 heat treated usualy machines well, shiny and hard.

Bike
    TZ400
    Unsuspectingly I did a pipe for a Scooter Racer a while ago.
    He paid good money for the full sim analysis, and was happy to bolt/weld/screw all manner of very unstock components into and onto his baby of choice.
    By chance I got to see it at Taupo one day.
    The chamber was about the same length as the bike, so it mostly stuck straight out the back behind the rear wheel,and thinking like I do
    I was sure the rider had given the tech inspector a free blowy.
    Looked a little odd I thought sitting in the pits that day, but to then see it being ridden by a bloke ? in a grey plastic raincoat
    was a life changing revelation, and I was then absolutely sure about the entry favours I had fleetingly mused over.

But seriously, of all the wierd arse mechanical contraptions that ipso facto require extended tangential though patterns, the scooter is up there with the best.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    yamaha
    For what its worth here is my race scooter

they are great fun

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by wax View Post
    For what its worth here is my race scooter. they are great fun
    Scooters require some getting used to for an old school racer like myself, but yes, they can be great fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rik-slide.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	291101  

Bike
    Suzuki GT500 1976
    Ahh, now your all assuming it's an auto, I'm afraid I like to make things a bit more difficult....

Traditional (1960's) style geared (4, go ahead, count 'em) scooters. I'm No 63
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lydden.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	291103

Name:	3Sisters.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	410.9 KB 
ID:	291104

Name:	Cadwell holding.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	291105
    Once I've uploaded the barrel pictures I'll stick 'em up. (V slow connection, I live in the sticks)

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Scooters require some getting used to for an old school racer like myself, but yes, they can be great fun.
    Ok just to join the club. Sorry for the noise it appears to only be firing every now and again. Oh and yes helmet not on. Bad bad bad. Sorry I was young and silly then.

Bike
    Suzuki GT500 1976
    The sound of a Vespa et4 in pain

Okay, re my first post, these pics are of last years engine, kindly lent to me by the team I now race with to replace the vintage (20 year old but not an unhealthy 26hp from a cast iron 2 trans fan cooled) engine I turned up on after an 18 year lay-off from racing this summer.
    This is ally barrel, nikasil lined 2 trans 30hp & now the "spare" motor. Head is a copy casting from an MZ which allows us to use air scoop cooling and get rid of the fan.

Name:	WP_001241.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	284.7 KB 
ID:	291116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_001242.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	352.3 KB 
ID:	291117

My problem with the inlet manifold can be seen, it can't be straightened out properly or a down draft used as the frame rail is right above it.

I've just been told by the system that I can only upload 6 photos per post so I'll put the new barrel pics on the next post below.
    Dave

Thread Information