Page 203 of 214 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,045 of 3196

Thread: Oddball engines and prototypes

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by katinas View Post
    This photo is unbelievable. And what these two young heads thought in the green meadow……

Sometimes fighters pilots tried change flight path of V1 with a light touch of the wing.
    Hawker Tempest/Fury, Meteor (I think) and maybe later Spitfires could do that - I think the one shown there must have been a 'test piece' otherwise it would have destroyed itself (and everything around it)! - but they did a lot of damage to London!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    none
    Two stroke land Holland, summer of 1945...."Umm ... there is a V1 in the backyard..."
    There was a V1 launch site 4 km from my birthplace, and a stray V2 made a hole in the ground 7 km from my birthplace. Luckily I wasn't yet around at the time; otherwise I would probably have gone and take a look at that hole, and died together with the 20-odd people who did, when twenty minutes after the impact the V2 timing device decided that it should have reached London by then, and went boom.

Bike
    honda ns 400
    Frits thanks very much, when I found this previous photo the first thought was about you. But sometimes, only 1 percent of save can defeat 99 percent of the inevitable tragedy like with this unexploded V2 or Austria 1 race or how the arrested miner Dmitry, yesterday managed to escape from a Belarusian KGB/Nazi prison through a very narrow ventilation window and now he is save in Ukraine.
    The V2s were first fired on London, but after the liberation of Belgium, the Germans targeted Antwerp. A few were fired on Paris and other French cities. This one fell on Rheims, but didnt explode
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	This one fell on Rheims, but didnt explode.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	346875  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    I'm wondering, how come that one is still so intact? - (even if it didn't explode).
    Frankly I wouldn't have gone anywhere near the thing knowing just what they were capable of!!

I think that some were shot down just after they were launched - the only time they could possibly be shot down by an aircraft!

I think that there is a lesson here too for the two stroke engine - these things were versatile (like the two stroke) and they, c/w designer found their niche in space travel).

The two stroke engine would be excellent if used as a powerplant for just about anything (as well as drones etc etc) ...... but even more so when combined with a generator, it could provide simple, economical lightweight and useable power through electric motors for transmission (maybe even 'Ryger type' layout) ..... especially in places where power from an electrical grid is not available or unreliable (not all markets are in 'first world' countries!). - all better and much safer (environmentally speaking) than having power supplied by a crappy surplus nuclear power station bought on the cheap?

........ it could even be used in motorcycles!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    none
    The V2s were first fired on London, but after the liberation of Belgium, the Germans targeted Antwerp. A few were fired on Paris and other French cities. This one fell on Rheims, but didnt explode
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    I'm wondering, how come that one is still so intact? - (even if it didn't explode).
    I wonder too, as the V2 used to descend doing Mach 8; nothing anybody could do about it. So I have my doubts about the obvious soft landing in Reims.

The two stroke engine would be excellent if used as a powerplant for just about anything
    Even as a powerplant for powerplants. Ever wondered how the engines of world's first jet fighter, the Messerschmitt ME262, were started? Each jet engine had a small twin-cylinder two-stroke boxer hidden behind its nose cone.

Bike
    1997 Yamaha rd 350
    The two stroke engine would be excellent if used as a powerplant for just about anything
    https://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-n...generator.html
    I am going to make something very similar but lighter and more fuel efficient with fuel injection

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiplane View Post
    I am going to make something very similar but lighter and more fuel efficient with fuel injection
    Keep up your enthusiasm - (have not yet read your link though) - hopefully we'll all eventually come to agree on a common purpose and be able to save the two stroke!
    UPDATE - Yes, that would be a basic example of my idea (actually it looks like a good idea!) but that would only be one example (of many) of how to use a two stroke! ..... except that if I were going to produce something to show to prospective clients I wouldn't have gone out on to the street and grabbed the first person I could find and told him to come in and weld everything up for me! - never mind, chrome can hide a multitude of sins!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    .................. Even as a powerplant for powerplants. Ever wondered how the engines of world's first jet fighter, the Messerschmitt ME262, were started? Each jet engine had a small twin-cylinder two-stroke boxer hidden behind its nose cone.
    That's it! we are not going to let the two stroke die out! - it is not only indispensable, it is man's and the planet's best friend! ....... but we still have to look after it and upgrade it to satisfy today's needs! ..... or it's gone!
    So, to my way of thinking, the electric motor could be seen as either a friend or enemy (of the two stroke! ) - I prefer to see the two stroke controlling the electric motor, rather than the reverse!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiplane View Post
    JB, the 4.2 kg weight is impressive, but the fuel consumption of 800 gm/kWhr isn't, I would be aiming at 400. Obviously it is based on some existing hand held engine, all high pressure die cast parts I would guess.

Maybe we'll see you in the Foundry section doing some magnesium casting.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    JB, the 4.2 kg weight is impressive, but the fuel consumption of 800 gm/kWhr isn't, I would be aiming at 400. Obviously it is based on some existing hand held engine, all high pressure die cast parts I would guess.

Maybe we'll see you in the Foundry section doing some magnesium casting.
    Obviously that guy has been listening to my ideas - he got it wrong however ..... (I said "inexpensive and simple'"- but he thought that meant 'crap'!)
    and it still uses the old style two stroke with all the inherent downsides and problems - never mind, - nice paint job!

I think his basic concept is fine though!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    honda ns 400
    I wonder too about V2, but sometimes its happen.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-mudfield.html

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    (BTW An English guy told me this!) - ie that a typical English reaction to something big happening in the area is ....... "just ignore it and perhaps it'll go away!" - they've ignored this for quite a while!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    honda ns 400
    Again two stroke, this time in ME262. Thanks Frits, very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGUqV0dl9gA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz25KDRE9F4

Name:	Me262-Riedel-Anlasser- (1).jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	346963   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Riedel-Anlasser-für-Messerschmitt-Me-262-Strahltriebwerk-Junkers-Jumo.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	346964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	me 262.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	346965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Me262-Riedel-Anlasser- (2).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	346966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Size:	308.6 KB 
ID:	346974   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg 
Size:	330.2 KB 
ID:	346975  

Bike
    none
    I wonder too about V2, but sometimes its happen.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-mudfield.html
    Yep, that's the engine, so the complete beast is upside down in the mud. Must have been a 'soft' landing, compared to the V2's usual behaviour.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V2 engine.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	346967

Bike
    honda ns 400
    More about ME 262 two stroke RBA/S10 starter. 270 cc 70 mm bore x 35 mm stroke 10.5 hp, 16.5 kg.

Name:	RBAS10.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	346976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RBAS10 1.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	346977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ME 262 RBAS10.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	346978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	me262.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	346979  

Thread Information