Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So many choices

Bike
    Kwaka

So many choices

Hi

Being new to motorcycles, one of the most enjoyable aspects has been researching what to buy next. I have about 12 months to go before I can sit my full (thanks to the regulatory changes) but I’ve narrowed down my choices somewhat. My clear favourite so far is Triumph’s Street Triple. Other favourites include:

Triumph Street Triple
    BMW S1000RR
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Harley Davidson Seventy-Two
    Kawasaki Z1000
    Triumph Daytona 675
    Kawasaki Ninja ZX636
    Triumph Bonneville America

I’m sure many others will pop up on the radar over the next 12 months.

My question is what these bikes are like day to day. I ride about 40kms each day and part of the reason I went 2 wheels was to save on gas and cut through traffic easily.

My budget’s about $20k and I want to buy new (never had a new car or bike – this is a once off treat). As much as I like the idea of a BMW1000RR, I can’t see myself going with a bike with that much power and price tag. I’m “flexible” with speed limits and I don’t want to end up a messy pulp biting off more than I can chew.

Can anyone recommend a good middle weight, easy on gas when you want it to be, great through traffic, lots of fun to ride, bike for about $20K?

Cheers
    GNJ

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Street Triple. Best engine ever and easy to ride well, as well as being light on its feet and easy handle when pushing it around.

It sounds to me like you are going on looks with some of those choices so your best bet is to start sitting on some of them prior to upgrading, at the very least. I'd wait until I had my full and book a bunch of test rides then make your mind up. Buyer regret after making a poorly researched decision is a bitch, especially so with motorcycles as ergonomics make up such a huge part of the riding experience.

"Your First Big Bike(tm)" should be as easy to manage as possible while still pushing some limbic system buttons.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Out of that list, the Striple would be #1 choice...like this primo example--->> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=543636810
    Ultimately, you will have to ride, then decide.

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    +_1 for the Stripple,would own one myself if I had good control of my right wrist, fantastic bike, poss one of the top 10 ever produced
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    '09 GSX-R750, '13 Hayabusa
    Any one of them will be a big step up from a GN250, so out of the bikes you listed the 675s and ZX6R would probably be the most sensible choices.
    My question is what these bikes are like day to day. I ride about 40kms each day and part of the reason I went 2 wheels was to save on gas and cut through traffic easily.
    The riding position of a sportbike should be fine for your 40k commute, I ride 50ks each way to/from work and it's perfectly comfortable, though it does get a bit sore on long trips. My 750 uses about 5L/100k on my mostly open road commute, 600s would use about the same, 1000s a bit more. Be warned though that what you save on petrol you spend on tires.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    I can only see one choice.....what do you think it may be?

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by \m/ View Post

The riding position of a sportbike should be fine for your 40k commute.
    Maybe. A 1994 RVF400 is MUCH more comfortable than a 2012 R6. MUCH.

For me.

Ergonomics are REALLY personal and often just sitting on a bike doesn't give the full impact of the stress you are putting on different joints and muscles until you ride it. The R6 made me cry in about 3 kms. The RVF I commuted 76kms in each direction on with no issue.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Kwaka
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post

It sounds to me like you are going on looks with some of those choices so your best bet is to start sitting on some of them prior to upgrading, at the very least.
    Can't deny some of it is about looks, though some would argue there's not a lot pretty about the Street Triple. I think it looks a bit like Mick Jagger.

Feel a little guilty about wasting salesmen's time but then, I guess, it is my $$$ at the end.

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    A good salesperson does not mind having his time wasted, a bad sales man just wants your money,
    Sitting on bikes to experience the feel is all part of the search, a salesperson who does not allow that is not going to sell many bikes.
    The Stripple might have a bit to be desired in some peoples eyes, but once you have ridden one, the looks dont matter anymore
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    bandit
    From that list - any of the Triumphs or the 675 Ninja ... but none on that list would be my first choice of bikes for daily transport adn weekend fun ...

But hey - go with what you want ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by gnjackal View Post
    Hi

Being new to motorcycles, one of the most enjoyable aspects has been researching what to buy next. I have about 12 months to go before I can sit my full (thanks to the regulatory changes) but I’ve narrowed down my choices somewhat. My clear favourite so far is Triumph’s Street Triple. Other favourites include:

Triumph Street Triple
    BMW S1000RR
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Harley Davidson Seventy-Two
    Kawasaki Z1000
    Triumph Daytona 675
    Kawasaki Ninja ZX636
    Triumph Bonneville America

I’m sure many others will pop up on the radar over the next 12 months.

My budget’s about $20k and I want to buy new (never had a new car or bike – this is a once off treat). As much as I like the idea of a BMW1000RR, I can’t see myself going with a bike with that much power and price tag. I’m “flexible” with speed limits and I don’t want to end up a messy pulp biting off more than I can chew.

Can anyone recommend a good middle weight, easy on gas when you want it to be, great through traffic, lots of fun to ride, bike for about $20K?

Cheers
    GNJ
    I will give you a hand,

Triumph Street Triple - good resale value, good commuting position, got some street cred and ample power
    BMW S1000RR - from a GN250? You already think it is too fast and you cant afford it
    Triumph Speed Triple - from a GN250?
    Harley Davidson Seventy-Two - easy reach to the ground, docile power delivery, got some street cred, good resale value
    Kawasaki Z1000 - from a GN250?
    Triumph Daytona 675 - I wouldnt have thought it was a great choice for commuting
    Kawasaki Ninja ZX636 - I wouldnt have thought it was a great choice for commuting
    Triumph Bonneville America - a bit too docile in power delivery, poor ground clearance, heavy for what it is

Striple if you are looking for sporty, HD if you are looking for cruisey

Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    With the exception of the 72 all the bikes listed are pretty good if the ego's work for you
    its not that I am knocking Harleys its just the 72 is strictly designed for short runs as its got a pathetic tank, bugger all suspension, terrible brakes, and thats what the reviewers say so I would hate to actually ride one.

could suggest that going from a GN you keep to a relatively easy bike to manage, either light or with the weight low down.

have fun shopping & dont be afraid to ask to ride any bike you might want to buy...you are the one spending the money.

suggest you go into shops wearing sensible gear for riding as you will be taken more seriously.
    SIGN HERE X

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    It's like watching a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    What a soft cock, who wears pants when posting on facebook?

Bike
    Kwaka
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    From that list - any of the Triumphs or the 675 Ninja ... but none on that list would be my first choice of bikes for daily transport adn weekend fun ...

But hey - go with what you want ...
    So, what would you recommend? I'm completely open to ideas.

Bike
    Kwaka
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    I will give you a hand,

Triumph Street Triple - good resale value, good commuting position, got some street cred and ample power
    BMW S1000RR - from a GN250? You already think it is too fast and you cant afford it
    Triumph Speed Triple - from a GN250?
    Harley Davidson Seventy-Two - easy reach to the ground, docile power delivery, got some street cred, good resale value
    Kawasaki Z1000 - from a GN250?
    Triumph Daytona 675 - I wouldnt have thought it was a great choice for commuting
    Kawasaki Ninja ZX636 - I wouldnt have thought it was a great choice for commuting
    Triumph Bonneville America - a bit too docile in power delivery, poor ground clearance, heavy for what it is

Striple if you are looking for sporty, HD if you are looking for cruisey
    Regarding the big sports bikes, that's part of my concern, they're a big step up from a GN but I'm told you get used to the power pretty quickly. I think the Striple's a good step up I'd probably keep for a long time.

The negative's I've heard about the 72 is not much power and pretty uncomfortable riding position. I sat on one at Wellington Motorcycles and while it looked good, it's wider then it looks and the seating was... uh... uncomfortable. Gorgeous looking bike though and a great price.

What kind of fuel do the HDs use? I'm told they can be frugal.

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    going to any of those from a gn250 seems mad to me..

Go for a 600.. any number of them are decent.. gsx, z, etc.. go have a look at fast bikes mag, they regularly write up reviews on exactly this sort of thing, various riders and bikes, and compare.
    "If 50 million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing" - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Thread Information