Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California Superbike School

Bike
    BMW

California Superbike School

At a recent track day Darren Sweetman from California Superbike School commented that I had a terrible style, he put it a tad nicer but I knew what he meant! He showed me a couple of quick techniques and suggested I look into attending the Superbike School.

Im not a technical rider and I dont like to have too much information to think about, I just get on and try to ride fast so I had never really considered the School. It wasnt until I got a few tips and started to study some of the top GP riders techniques that I started to really see the benefits of what the school could do for me. I think after watching how the GP riders, ride then studying my own style I think the reason I have been able to get away with it is slightly due to the nature of the NZ tracks being more stop start.

So I have been booked in for all 4 levels and I have over the past 2 days just completed levels 1 and 2. The California Superbike School and the normal Hampton Downs track days have to be the best, most well run events held in Motorcycling in NZ. They are spot on time every time, all the staff know exactly where everyone is supposed to be at what time it just runs like clockwork.

Day 1 - Level 1

The day consists of 5 or 6 classroom sessions and 5 track sessions. Im not going to go into detail of what exactly each session was about as I will leave it for you to enjoy the surprise if you are fortunate to attend.

In the early classroom sessions I found my natural defence mechanisms wanting to disagree with the head instructor Steve Brougie just for my argumentative nature but I held me tounge as I was there to learn and I just thought to myself that if this guy is the first point of call for world class racers like Leon Camier then who the hell am I to question what he is saying. Even though I carefully listened to all the facts put forward to me I wasnt going to fully accept them as fact until I had tried and proved the techniques to myself.

After my first few sessions I felt that the information I had been given had raised more questions than it had answered and that as hard as I could try I couldnt seem to make the bike react how it had been explained. This is when it became abundantly clear that the way I have been riding the bike was not ideal.

Now level 1 and level 2 are not designed to change your riding style or body position, it is designed to make you aware of what you are already doing while riding the bike and show you how to do those things better. The problem is that I couldnt do the things better the way I was riding so my coach explained a few techniques for me to change my body position so I could actually use the riding tools they were trying to teach me.

In the very next session I adapted my riding position, it felt really un-natural for me and for me to change for good will take a lot of work but I could notice a difference like night and day to the controls inputs I was able to put into the bike.

Day 2 - Level 2

Day 2 follows the same script as day 1 but it goes down another path in teaching you another set of skills to use on the bike.

They do an amazing job in designing each session so you have to focus on just one aspect of riding in each session but I found myself trying to put all 10 things into practice at once and I was making a hash of it. The great thing is that you have a personal trainer between 2 riders who concentrate on only you 2 riders then after the session they give you a debrief and a chance to explain your problems and offer you advice. I was able to explain my problems and my trainer always had a solution.

By the end of the day I was able to use all my techniques and the riding style I had learnt and everything was becoming smooth.

There is no doubt in my mind that every rider will get something out of this School. I only wish I had been years ago so I didnt develop the bad techniques I already use. For me to get the most out of this training is going to take lots of work and I may find I will revert back to my old style in a race situation. Im really looking forward to level 3 and 4 when I can get the rest of the puzzle put together and convert the training into faster lap times.

This report of my experience at the school may have you a bit confused as I had to take in far more then was expected. If you do the the school how it was designed and try not get ahead of yourself, isolate each drill and concentrate on each technique, do all 4 levels and the whole programme will just flow and all gel for you.

I can guarantee this School will make you a safer and faster rider if you practice and master these techniques

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Good stuff.

You do have a terrible style and it's good to see you're doing something about fixing that because it'll make you even faster.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    1998 CBR 900RR
    Thanks for the write up Choppa.

That was very well written and has certainly made me more keen to give the Superbike School a go. Looking forward to hearing how the next two levels go for you.

Cheers

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Had a pretty similar experience. Day 1 kindof reset me and day 2 just went smooth as.

Bike
    cbr,streetstocker
    If you were going that fast with a terrible style, i bet you cant wait to see what you can achieve with a realy good style!

Your right though when it comes to a race situation its easy to go back to your old style because you know it well,i guess you've just got to practcie what you have learnt alot and prove to your self its effective.
    The Head of Kiwibikers Streetstock movement

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    You do have a terrible style and it's good to see you're doing something about fixing that because it'll make you even faster.
    I think most of his bad style came about from hanging out with Eddy for too long.
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    Sonic the Second (II)
    Gotta agree with you Choppa. I went yesterday just for level 1 and it was amazing how much my riding has changed. Like you I was going out and trying to do all things at the same time. I quickly worked out that was crap and so worked on the one thing.

I was a bit tentative to start with with the way some things were done, but I went with it and it does all come together. I had actually been told a few of the things in the class before and I thought I was actually doing a few of them. But when the fundamentals and the certain feelings you get from the proper basics were explained I worked out I wasn't doing them to the extent I needed.

The wife didn't realise how much it cost but it was certainly worth it. My riding is heaps smoother and I'm not muscling the bike around. Can't wait to get the cash for the other sessions.

Bike
    1989 Honda NC30
    (Just to add rather than starting a new thread)

I just got back from levels 3 + 4 as always have had a great time. I have so much to work on, that I am really keen to get back out on track.

Level 3 follows a similar pattern to how Choppa describes 1 + 2.

I definitely got a lot out of level 4 as it is specifically tailored to you and the issues that you are having. There were a few things from all 3 levels that had dropped off the radar a bit and concentrating on those things brought a lot of things back into focus.

One thing which I didn't realise is that on level 4 you are able to go out and practice in the other sessions (except your instructor won't work with you). It is down to you as to how many you do and not to wear yourself out, but I found it really handy to grab an extra half session here or there to help cement a few things.

I would definitely come back and do level 4 again maybe more - just wish they toured so you could do it at some of the other NZ tracks!
    #24 1989 Honda NC30

Bike
    09 Repsol
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA View Post
    .... don't quote the entire post ffs ....
    California Superbike School is the real deal, I think it is necessary for everyone, doesn't matter if you are a road rider or track.
    You will enjoy riding much more and will be safer and much better rider.

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Good job, Choppa. As you've pointed out it can be pretty hard trying to reset what you've been doing and start again! You were definately looking good out there with that style sorted out.

ckai: Whats your name? (if you dont mind telling me, just so I can pick out who you were!)

Luke: Good job out there as well!

Cheers,

Matt (Course Control).

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Good job, Choppa. As you've pointed out it can be pretty hard trying to reset what you've been doing and start again! You were definately looking good out there with that style sorted out.

ckai: Whats your name? (if you dont mind telling me, just so I can pick out who you were!)

Luke: Good job out there as well!

Cheers,

Matt (Course Control).
    Hi Matt,
    You should be able to guess me

Totally got a lot out of it by leaving my 33 years of "experience" in my tool box, and learning one thing at a time.
    It could be that I have one years experience repeated 33 times!

You guys did a fantastic job, and I think the rain was actually well timed.

Keep up with the good work.

Oh, and Choppa, great write up.

For anybody who has a little problem justifying the cost... Well, I'm willing to bet you would save a couple of sets of rubber (At LEAST) after using the skills gained.
    Skills last forever, consumables are just that.

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    This was level 2 on friday 2nd session.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Boristhe...ature=mhum#p/u

i have got a lot to learn.

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoristheBiter View Post

That camera is great!

Bike
    Sonic the Second (II)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post

Matt (Course Control).
    The name is Cameron mate. I was on the blue Daytona being one of the slowest But like they say, we all learn at different paces and I definitely sucked up some serious skills in one day.

Quote Originally Posted by BoristheBiter View Post

Ahh yes, it was a lovely mourning. It was funny really, after the first dry run, most of us went back into the classroom and complained that we wanted the wet track still Mother Nature's brake

Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    For anybody who has a little problem justifying the cost... Well, I'm willing to bet you would save a couple of sets of rubber (At LEAST) after using the skills gained.
    Skills last forever, consumables are just that.
    It's interesting really, you only really have issues with the money before you do the course. Afterwards you wonder way you didn't do it sooner.

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    Quote Originally Posted by ckai View Post

Ahh yes, it was a lovely mourning. It was funny really, after the first dry run, most of us went back into the classroom and complained that we wanted the wet track still Mother Nature's brake

Yep you look at my lines with a dry track and they are all over the place.
    like they say you have to go slower to go faster or something like that.

Thread Information