Page 1902 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 9021402180218521892190019011902190319041912195220022402 ... LastLast
Results 28,516 to 28,530 of 39427

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    Triumph 1955 T110

Exhaust port orientation

On the Clisby one cylinder test engine the exhaust port is placed on the piston thrust face,

but on the multi cylinder engine it is rotated 90 deg and is aligned on the gudgeon pin side of the piston, E.G. the carb and exhaust port are on the same face, has this configuration been used elsewhere, the piston requires a skirt on one side to cover the exhaust port at TDC

also the divider between the crankcase and cylinder base ?

any thoughts gentlemen ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harold Clisby two stroke rotary valve jpg.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	334981   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3681.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	334982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3684.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	334983  

Bike
    Moped
    If you only take TM

The J60 is open
    OK-closed
    MX85-closed when I think about it, maybe it's just halfway down
    KZ10c-closed with a half-moon

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Twopints View Post
    On the Clisby one cylinder test engine the exhaust port is placed on the piston thrust face,

but on the multi cylinder engine it is rotated 90 deg and is aligned on the gudgeon pin side of the piston, E.G. the carb and exhaust port are on the same face, has this configuration been used elsewhere, the piston requires a skirt on one side to cover the exhaust port at TDC

any thoughts gentlemen ?
    I went back and looked at your post where there was a pic of an assembled engine - possibly a mockup. It looks to me like he was going to - or had - cast a set of cases as a monoblock with multiple crank chambers. It makes sense then that the prototype single is a one piece case with a coverplate carrying one bearing and the rotary valve.
    It also makes sense that the prototype has the inlet and exhaust at right angles as he'd purchased a Yamaha piston I think you said ? If he'd gone ahead with the arrangement of the assembled engine, he'd have had to find suitable pistons - with full skirts.
    The arrangement has been used before - but not recently AFAIK. It's awkward - but given the packaging problems he was looking at, probably the easy solution.

Bike
    Homebuilt chassi, Kawasaki 212cc
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhr View Post

respect your opinion
    Remember that the next time you feel the need to write some 'cool' oneliner reply´s then.

Bike
    rd 350 ypvs 1985
    Quote Originally Posted by philou View Post
    A normal exhaust pipe to this form :

some exhaust pipe have this shape :

Does the shape affect the operation of the exhaust pipe ?
    May I add one, has been bouncing in my head for who knows how long, pretty sure it never been tried? (maybe with good reason)

Name:	pipe.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	334987  
    O no, red pilled...

Bike
    1974, Guzzi, 750s

Blah

Quote Originally Posted by ief View Post
    May I add one, has been bouncing in my head for who knows how long, pretty sure it never been tried? (maybe with good reason)
    Wouldn’t that equal to having a concave belly?

Welcome to the distinguished foil hat club!

Bike
    rd 350 ypvs 1985
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannem View Post
    Wouldn’t that equal to having a concave belly?

Welcome to the distinguished foil hat club!
    No, in my logic that would do the opposite.

Tnx
    O no, red pilled...

Bike
    TZ400
    If you plot the area's as seen by the wave action traveling along the mid section it would indeed encounter the same rate of change
    as having a concave belly section.
    And this is good - because ?
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    rd 350 ypvs 1985
    I was thinking about the 'shape' of the the pressure wave due to differences in temp on the outside of the pipe and the inside.

Witch might be one of the explanations of the straight vs bend pipe.

I know, I only focus on one part...

Just an idear
    O no, red pilled...

Bike
    KR-1S, KR1-SV, KXR500, ZXR 4/600
    Quote Originally Posted by Twopints View Post

any thoughts gentlemen ?
    I think this setup definitly needs closed piston pins !

Bike
    98 Honda NS1, others...
    I was thinking about the 'shape' of the the pressure wave due to differences in temp on the outside of the pipe and the inside.

Witch might be one of the explanations of the straight vs bend pipe.

I know, I only focus on one part...

Just an idear
    I think this little things on the pipe are not enought significant, has I understood with all the past reading the engines with the intake to the front of the bike and exhaust to the back that allow for a straight pipe are not better because of the intake facing the rotation of the cranckshaft against the flow, loss of one or two horse power in a 50cv engine!? And the straight pipe and other improvements possible did not seem to be capable to recover the lost power.

I took this has knowlegde, but I like things to be discussed further

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by JanBros View Post
    I think this setup definitly needs closed piston pins !
    Have a look at twopints bottom pic - Clisby wan't shy of moving everything around....But if those are a pair of boost ports at the back, you may still be right, LOL.

Bike
    TZ400
    Well finally boys and girls here is the evidence of what happens when you ceramic coat an Exhaust duct.
    The duct was coated with TBC ( Thermal Barrier Coating ) by HPC as is used to coat 4T piston crowns and exhaust pipes.
    It was masked off about 10mm into the duct such that the surrounding metal of the port itself would not overheat and create bore distortion.
    The result is a drop of about 1Hp all the way up the front side, but more importantly the egt at lower rpm is about 50*C hotter.
    From this area upward the deto level was over double that of the stock uncoated cylinder, and under normal test conditions I would have richened the jetting
    to try to get back to the same deto level - obviously to the detriment of an extra power loss.
    But this test shows that the actual top end jetting was all but identical.

Based on this I now firmly believe in changing the cylinder cooling regime ( TM KZ10C ) to increase the water flow under the duct, and to extend that cooling right out
    to the back of the pipe spigot flange face.
    I am permitted to machine say 5mm off the cylinder duct exit - and increase the flange thickness by the same amount, allowing a water passage within the fixing flange
    to lengthen the cooled length of the exit flow.

Name:	Ceramic Coated Duct Test001.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	334992  
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    1974, Guzzi, 750s
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    Well finally boys and girls here is the evidence of what happens when you ceramic coat an Exhaust duct.
    The duct was coated with TBC ( Thermal Barrier Coating ) by HPC as is used to coat 4T piston crowns and exhaust pipes.
    It was masked off about 10mm into the duct such that the surrounding metal of the port itself would not overheat and create bore distortion.
    The result is a drop of about 1Hp all the way up the front side, but more importantly the egt at lower rpm is about 50*C hotter.
    From this area upward the deto level was over double that of the stock uncoated cylinder, and under normal test conditions I would have richened the jetting
    to try to get back to the same deto level - obviously to the detriment of an extra power loss.
    But this test shows that the actual top end jetting was all but identical.

Based on this I now firmly believe in changing the cylinder cooling regime ( TM KZ10C ) to increase the water flow under the duct, and to extend that cooling right out
    to the back of the pipe spigot flange face.
    I am permitted to machine say 5mm off the cylinder duct exit - and increase the flange thickness by the same amount, allowing a water passage within the fixing flange
    to lengthen the cooled length of the exit flow.
    Good stuff, thank you! Doesn’t leave much room for speculation...

Bike
    1974, Guzzi, 750s
    Taking this a into a bit different direction, an internal plate dividing the rapidly expanding part of the diffuser in two halves might improve the pressure recovery. The resulting two halves would have smaller rate of area expansion change, which should reduce the flow separation. Perhaps even 4 sections with horizontal and vertical crossing plates could be used.

Thread Information