Page 833 of 1072 FirstFirst ... 333733783823831832833834835843883933 ... LastLast
Results 12,481 to 12,495 of 16076

Thread: Optimistic sellers

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    If I was still a Ducati owner I’d find this thread slightly concerning. Bearing in mind Ducati riders already have more than their fair share of concerns.

Ducati fasteners turned brown at a rate that astounded chemists, so there was/is a thriving aftermarket selling complete sets of stainless fasteners to replace the factory originals.

Do these poor unfortunates now have to worry about electrolysis as well as the tensile strength of their bolts, and their nuts?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    ... Do these poor unfortunates now have to worry about electrolysis as well as the tensile strength of their bolts, and their nuts?
    Ducati riders get their nuts cut off to save weight ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    EDL for all things 'fixing' related. Rod ends, bolts, cap screws, anything. They're the best.
    except their stock varies, last time i was there i got half of the dome nuts one height and half the other, when i requested they all be the same the guy really couldn't figure what to do, i didn't care which type, just all the same.
    same with cap screws, half were fluted half not....
    also miniumum sale is a pain when you want 1/2 dozen items.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Anzcor (Glover st, off Ngauranga Gorge) dont have minimum quantity
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Ahh fuk my pet hate is trade discounts. We ring up as work, 1st contact, yeah we'll give you 50% off stainless. And if you buy more it becomes 60 or even 70.

Just stop lying about the fucking price! Do you think we're stupid? (yes they probably do, but we're not).

Problem is the punter goes in off the street and collects the stupidly inflated price. Happens more and more, bearings etc.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Anzcor (Glover st, off Ngauranga Gorge) dont have minimum quantity
    yip they do......

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Ahh fuk my pet hate is trade discounts. .
    so, you expect me to source materials, mostly in my own time, as the customer doesn't want you to do an hours work where they're watching, and be charged for 1.5 hrs, then give it to them at the same rpice, plus provide a warranty etc?

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by babysteps View Post
    Blacks Fasteners are your friend, they will sell you 1 bolt
    Yep, HDC is in ChCh - and only has to go down the road from mitre10 Hornby to get a much better selection - and a better price.

He's complained about the Sockburn roundabout, they're now right next to it.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    yip they do......
    Not for anything I have bought there... handful of button head 6mm socket heads, a few things like that. Maybe they would have been cheaper if I'd bought 100 or so.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Not for anything I have bought there... handful of button head 6mm socket heads, a few things like that. Maybe they would have been cheaper if I'd bought 100 or so.
    i've spent years restoring my digger, the one i brought a motor from your that actually ended up in the bike, or parts of it, i've got loads of stainless over time, anytime i've been in it's been $20, a real pain in the butt when you're trying to finish one job at a time, dunno what you'll strike next so only wnat small lots.
    do you normally deal with them and get a special backdoor treatment?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    i've spent years restoring my digger, the one i brought a motor from your that actually ended up in the bike, or parts of it, i've got loads of stainless over time, anytime i've been in it's been $20, a real pain in the butt when you're trying to finish one job at a time, dunno what you'll strike next so only wnat small lots.
    do you normally deal with them and get a special backdoor treatment?
    so, you expect me to source materials, mostly in my own time, as the customer doesn't want you to do an hours work where they're watching, and be charged for 1.5 hrs, then give it to them at the same rpice, plus provide a warranty etc?

So You want a backdoor agreement but you dont want me to have a front door one?

When I can buy bearings cheaper from Ripco than Saeco, who I'd previously been dealing with for 20 years, then yes. I'm sore about it . Its complete bullshit.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    So You want a backdoor agreement but you dont want me to have a front door one?

When I can buy bearings cheaper from Ripco than Saeco, who I'd previously been dealing with for 20 years, then yes. I'm sore about it . Its complete bullshit.
    not at all, just stating what's happening, fact is, the price isn't any different, it's just i can't buy any less than $20 worth.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Yep, HDC is in ChCh - and only has to go down the road from mitre10 Hornby to get a much better selection - and a better price.

He's complained about the Sockburn roundabout, they're now right next to it.
    I work at church corner too so I have to drive past Blacks to get to Mitre10 in Hornbag..

But I drive past the one in Colombo st on the way to work.

All good. I bought four bolts at Blacks this week for a little job (I have a bunch of M5 (pushbikes) M6 (motorbike) and M8 stuff but didnt have any M10. Except idea 1 didnt work so I had to go with idea 2 requiring longer bolts.... which I got at Mitre 10. I called in on the offchance and they had quite a good selection.

The thing is if you're organised, Blacks is great. But I am usually not and Mitre 10 is open on Saturday arvo and Sunday. And till 6pm weekdays.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    AS I understand it, the higher the tensile strength, the more brittle/less malleable the fastener will be.

I met a guy who'd been in the industry for years, many years ago when one of my bikes had a habit of breaking sprocket bolts. He cautioned against using 12.9's as they were more brittle.....and a good 8.8 in most situations is fine. He also cautioned against using zinc plated bolts as they can create a torqueing issue, as the zinc will add drag and while you may tighten to a measured x fl/lbs the clamping force created by the bolt will be less. He suggested non plated bolts, of 8.8 tensile and 243 Loctite to help lube and add a slight amount of shock absorbing capability or lightly oiled and a reasonable torque setting of c 20ft/lb on a M8 bolt

Bolts were breaking or coming loose in one to two races, yet they were lock tabbed etc. The lack of clamping force was not matting the sprocket against the hub well, compounded by a 6mm alloy spacer behind the sprocket, which was causing tension to subside..... (Sprockets don't carry the force in shear!). Got the clamping aspect sorted and the problem went away....
    Interesting. I've not heard that about zinc before - I'd have thought the opposite, the zinc would make a relatively soft bearing surface on steel etc and thus actually help correct torquing. Perhaps the zinc then flows away under high pressure, thus reducing the clamping force? Or the zinc shreds in the last phase of tightening, hence the torquing issue? Curious.

Agree with lightly oiled or 243 Loctite (formulated to same viscosity as light oil), clean threads, no dirt, no bent or bashed threads, should be able to twirl a fastener home between finger and thumb or else something's wrong.

Your alloy spacer: I take it that this was alloy contacting a steel sprocket? I've tended to find that alloy on alloy grips really well, the metal bonds together... alloy on steel doesn't, it forms a bearing pair instead and things slip.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    If I was still a Ducati owner I’d find this thread slightly concerning. Bearing in mind Ducati riders already have more than their fair share of concerns.

Ducati fasteners turned brown at a rate that astounded chemists, so there was/is a thriving aftermarket selling complete sets of stainless fasteners to replace the factory originals.

Do these poor unfortunates now have to worry about electrolysis as well as the tensile strength of their bolts, and their nuts?
    I've certainly seen every fastener in the vicinity of a brakepad turn dusty black - permanently - in a very short time. The brown might just be very thin passivation on the stock fasteners - I'm sure the factory were placing large orders to a strict price point and the vendor had to survive somehow.

Ahh ducati's. They're fucking great when they're on song.

Thread Information