Page 2280 of 2625 FirstFirst ... 1280178021802230227022782279228022812282229023302380 ... LastLast
Results 34,186 to 34,200 of 39365

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    TZ400
    Short answer is no , because it way difficult to calculate the average wall temps due to the temp/area problem , plus you are measuring outside.
    As I have such a huge database of pipes and engines that have been thru the sim , build , dyno process , it was easy to check backwards from the dyno result to see what
    average wall temps were being generated with my self impossed "tuning target " of 620*C in the header.
    Some engines made best power at 650 in the header , but using a simple ratio increasing by 650/620 worked just as well.
    In the case where using really good fuel ( 110 leaded ) allowed 680*C on track ( SKUSA ) the pipes designed for 620 simply reved to the moon , but this proved to be a huge tuning aid in that we could use
    the gained rpm range to go faster on the same gear , or re gear it to gain off corner acceleration with identical terminal speed.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    RC51
    Wobbly - thanks for sharing about the pipe temp. I'm still a little foggy on measurement locations for your average wall temp method. Do you measure outside wall temp at center section and at rear cone 1/3 up from stinger? Just two measurements? I assume your header measurement is an internal EGT and not used in the average?

Would it make any sense to put an open tip EGT into the pipe towards the end of the rear core or maybe even in the stinger? I'm thinking it would give you a one point snapshot of how hot the gases were after running the whole course of the pipe?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Where you do your best thinking, a bit of inspiration:
    https://www.facebook.com/17266633985...630379114/?t=3
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    ETEC 800
    I will attempt to simplify. It is becoming evident that Neels and Wobbly have developed variables that work, so we do not need to measure up and down the pipe. Doing so without the proper equipment and technique would just add headaches. If the pipe was say 80mm diameter the entire way through, we could perhaps gather the temp data easily and accurately. But since the header is smaller than the center section and so on, it adds more math to the dynamics of what is already going on temp wise in the pipe. Lastly the number relies on inner wall temp and not outer wall temp. Wall temp and EGT are not one in the same. Wobbly knows what his target EGT was for every engine he has tested, (typically 620°) so they developed inputs (325° and 425°) for us to use. If the engine made better power at 650° you would use the simple math noted above to adjust your wall input variables. It is my best guess that the extra options were added to Data2t for completeness. If I am not understanding this I wish to be corrected.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    As I have such a huge database of pipes and engines that have been thru the sim , build , dyno process , it was easy to check backwards from the dyno result to see what average wall temps were being generated with my self impossed "tuning target " of 620*C in the header.
    Some engines made best power at 650 in the header , but using a simple ratio increasing by 650/620 worked just as well.
    Wob, the ratio in your example would be 650 / 620 = 1,048 . But wouldn't it be better to determine the ratio using absolute temperatures?
    Then we would find (650 + 273) / (620 + 273) = 1,034.
    Not much of a difference, I'll admit, but still a difference.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Passed through Greymouth the other day and visited my favorite hardware shop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200724_131722.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	742.4 KB 
ID:	346656 Loved the OHS Occupational Health and Safety sign.

Name:	20200724_131607.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	671.6 KB 
ID:	346657 If only.

Name:	20200724_131540.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	790.8 KB 
ID:	346653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200724_131520.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	777.0 KB 
ID:	346654Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200724_131439.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	796.0 KB 
ID:	346655Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200724_131547.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	828.8 KB 
ID:	346658

Such an amazing example of early West Coast ingenuity. Absolutely love it.

Link to a previous visit and a lot more photos of other bikes and interesting things.
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Work had me in Greymouth the last week.

Bike
    RC51
    Quote Originally Posted by Condyn View Post
    Wobbly knows what his target EGT was for every engine he has tested, (typically 620°) so they developed inputs (325° and 425°) for us to use. If the engine made better power at 650° you would use the simple math noted above to adjust your wall input variables. It is my best guess that the extra options were added to Data2t for completeness. If I am not understanding this I wish to be corrected.
    Condyn, thanks for the reply. The reason I ask is because I believe the snowmobile application, especially drag racing, won't be using these wall temps. While you may see the 620-650C at the header EGT, I seem to get wildly unrealistic results using 425C at peak power. This gets back to my original inquiry of measurement points to create a temp profile for a very different application. I know Wob did some drag racing (Banshee?) work where pipe wall temps might be more comparable to snowmobile application.

Bike
    ETEC 800
    Quote Originally Posted by flyincat View Post
    Condyn, thanks for the reply. The reason I ask is because I believe the snowmobile application, especially drag racing, won't be using these wall temps. While you may see the 620-650C at the header EGT, I seem to get wildly unrealistic results using 425C at peak power. This gets back to my original inquiry of measurement points to create a temp profile for a very different application. I know Wob did some drag racing (Banshee?) work where pipe wall temps might be more comparable to snowmobile application.
    We almost need to take an engine that works very well at 425C with matching curves on both dyno and the sim, with the same egt in the header that we are using in our snowmobiles, measure the outer wall temp on that engine in many specific places, and measure the outer wall temp on our engines the same way. Maybe with the correct math we can then create a scale that makes the outer wall temp measurements useful? We would likely also need to add a volume to surface area ratio calculation. It really is frustrating isn’t it?

Bike
    TZ400
    Frits , yes absolutely correct if I was supervising another PhD thesis , but using Kelvin the difference is 5.9*C and this is totally insignificant such that I doubt any change would be visible
    in any of the sim outputs.
    And yes , trying to ascertain the average inner wall temp is a math logistical nighmare , easy to datalog as I did with PK screws holding K thermocouples in place, but quickly shown the
    too hard basket when trying to use the data.
    For the very specific Snow application , you only need one dyno session to get the best power egt , then using the power curve that gives you , input the start and end wall temp numbers in the sim
    to generate an identical shape and peak rpm correlation.
    These numbers will then work ad infinitum to enable you to rely on the results given by new pipe geometries.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    Honda NS-1 / Gas Gas EC-125
    Quote Originally Posted by andreas View Post
    Although your engine has the long cylinder studs, it seems someone has managed to have aux ex-ports in it. Might be worth looking into.
    The NS1 cylinder has a bridge port exhaust and not the single oval as the 50cc, or the older MBX air cooled cylinders.

Bike
    youtube andreas länström
    Yes, I had the impression it was just one port.

Bike
    CBX125F NS50F NS90F NS-1
    Quote Originally Posted by senso View Post
    The NS1 cylinder has a bridge port exhaust and not the single oval as the 50cc, or the older MBX air cooled cylinders.
    The NS-1 75cc engine was just a slightly underbored NSR80 engine.
    I'm guessing that the reduced capacity was to meet a European learner bike limit.
    The original NS-1 was Japan-only and a 50. Otherwise the same bike.

Bike
    Honda NS1, TM EN144, Simson S51
    Quote Originally Posted by katinas View Post
    Josh, with additional boyesens, try to close crankcase intake port ( fully or partially, red line) , this is very easy to do with the base gasket. It was like, close the door when another opened.
    Port map looks like really capable for 20hp.
    I will test that!

Quote Originally Posted by lodgernz View Post
    Hi Josh. I believe that grinding away (i.e. raising) the separator between the A & B ports a few mm allows some of the charge coming through the Boyesen ports better access to the A port. Without this, only the B ports benefit from the Boyesen flow.
    Also, there are a lot of sharp edges on the lower cylinder outer that can impede flow. If you look into the reed cavity you'll see that the incoming charge has a lot of disturbance from these sharp edges and corners. Easy to smooth these off.

Although you can't get any really nice after-market cylinders any more for these engines, you can get a 44mm stroke Italkit crank, and you can of course bore them up to 54mm. You might be able to find a Malossi 53mm cylinder, which are cast-iron but with quite nice transfers. The exhaust timing on these is mild, but as it is cast-iron, easy to improve.

And if you really want to spend some money, get a VHM head with insert. They work well.

After all that, it is really matching the pipe to the cylinder that will determine the power.

Hi lodgernz,

the ns1 engine is already a very short stroked engine (bore x stroke 48 x 41.4). Thats why I dont wont to go any further with the bore.
    The italkit crankshaft looks nice. Maybe I buy one.
    VHM head looks nice as well. But I want it low budget. Modified my head for 50 percent squishband and 1mm gap. Maybe there is some power to gain, if i test some different shapes and CR`s. Added a pic of a head I cut in halfs for research. I think there is plenty of meat for different shapes.

Next step is to test Katinas idea. If I am not abel to get the boyesens working, I will close them with expoxy. Also I am working on some test pipes. But I am not the most experienced sheet metal worker, so it takes a while

cheers

josh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ns1_Head.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	696.1 KB 
ID:	346684  

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Ns1Montesa View Post
    Modified my head for 50 percent squishband and 1mm gap. Maybe there is some power to gain, if i test some different shapes and CR`s. Added a pic of a head I cut in halfs for research. I think there is plenty of meat for different shapes.
    Josh, why the 1 mm gap? 0,4 mm should be safe, and it will give a far better squish action and combustion velocity.
    There is plenty material in that head, but you can't afford to remove much of it. It needs all of its stiffness, because the studs are so far apart and there are only four of them. Keeping the head gasket in place could become a problem.

Bike
    Honda NS1, TM EN144, Simson S51
    Hi Frits,

I already tested 0,45mm by accident. Used base gasket made of 1mm sealing paper. After I tigthened it up the gap was at 0,8mm. After testride the gap was at 0,45mm, because the paper could not stand the pressure. Luckily I noticed bad noises comming from the engine early enough. The result is shown in the picture
    I used thick sealing paper because I wanted to geht rid of aluminium plate + liquid sealing.
    Now I know that the crank is stiff enough for 0,45mm gap. But for some reason my engine is prone for detos.

Hopefully I find a small lathe in near future, so I am able to do some heads.

cheers

josh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piston_ns1.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	774.2 KB 
ID:	346693  

Thread Information