PDA

View Full Version : Lane splitting/filtering: the legal and commonsense answers

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

FROSTY
3rd December 2005, 10:52
The issue of filtering has been raised so many times I've set this up as a sticky.
Filtering (splitting) - When the traffic is stationery, technically, it's parked. You're allowed to ride past a parked car, thus, at red lights and traffic jams, you can filter - but within reason. It doesn't permit you to fly thru at 150kph, cos that's just silly.

I mentioned as a rule of thumb, I travel at around 20kph, wether traffic is moving slower or not at all. They said (again, within reason) this is ok. I have passed many cop cars while they're doing 10 or so, and I've passed them at 20kph. So far, no one has given me grief. As soon as the traffic picks up speed, merge back in asap, but don't cut anyone up (they don't really like that either..)..

As for riding down the extreme right hand side of the motorway, big no-no. As is riding down the hard shoulder (very left emergency lane) unless it's clearly stated as a bus lane within those hours (or you follow a bus outside the hours, cos if you get done, then he can get done too..).
Using the chevrons too, is also a big no-no.. In fact, it's pretty much safe to say, that if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't, aside from slow speed filtering.

You can use any bus lane except for motorway buslane. Else, the law applies (as in, if cars can use it outside the hours too, then so can you).

I was precautioned tho - a lot of this is at the officers' discretion. If you're being a silly dick, then they're gonna pull you and give you some paperwork. If you behave and don't 'act' nervous and keep your cool, they'll most probably ignore you.
I have been stopped once for filtering, but that's cos I made a bad/late decision and ironically, a cop was a few cars back, plus I was a little over the limit before the traffic. He just slapped my wrist and said what I did was ok, but to think ahead. That's the trick. Think ahead and don't be stupid, else they will have you.

This is all what I've been told by the boys in blue and is what I ride by, so if there are any cops reading this, or anyone knows any different, then please, tell me too!! (thanks bugjuice-best answer so far)

The deal is I'd like to hear from Bykey cop /scumdog nodman etc to get the legal definition of what we can and can't do.
As well as what their common sense aproach is to it.
I will keep editing this post as response comes from those that actually Know

I must say My attitude is that if you have been riding for 12 months or less or have been away from biking awhile and just returning. I personally dont suggest it -My reasoning is that you don't know what danger signals to look for when filtering. also if ya gut says--this ait right---listen to ya gut and slow down.
Another point is -When filtering past moving cars its your neck -moaning about a car that changed lanes into you to me is unfair on the cager -Logic says at 30km/h faster than them by the time theyve checked alls clear and started to move you could have moved 10-20 carlenths up on them
SO PLEASE COULD THE ACTUAL POLICE KBERS RESPOND TO THIS THREAD.
pm me if ya aint happy being quoted

FROSTY
5th December 2005, 12:44
anybody got links or direct info ??

bugjuice
5th December 2005, 12:51
well, my 2¢, I called them on an unrelated matter, but since I was on the phone, I asked anyway, and this is what I was told:

<blockquote>k, well the chick on the phone at the time wasn't so sure, so she told me to hang on while she asked a bike-cop what the scoop is;

Filtering (splitting) - When the traffic is stationery, technically, it's parked. You're allowed to ride past a parked car, thus, at red lights and traffic jams, you can filter - but within reason. It doesn't permit you to fly thru at 150kph, cos that's just silly.

I mentioned as a rule of thumb, I travel at around 20kph, wether traffic is moving slower or not at all. They said (again, within reason) this is ok. I have passed many cop cars while they're doing 10 or so, and I've passed them at 20kph. So far, no one has given me grief. As soon as the traffic picks up speed, merge back in asap, but don't cut anyone up (they don't really like that either..)..

As for riding down the extreme right hand side of the motorway, big no-no. As is riding down the hard shoulder (very left emergency lane) unless it's clearly stated as a bus lane within those hours (or you follow a bus outside the hours, cos if you get done, then he can get done too..).
Using the chevrons too, is also a big no-no.. In fact, it's pretty much safe to say, that if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't, aside from slow speed filtering.

You can use any bus lane except for motorway buslane. Else, the law applies (as in, if cars can use it outside the hours too, then so can you).

I was precautioned tho - a lot of this is at the officers' discretion. If you're being a silly dick, then they're gonna pull you and give you some paperwork. If you behave and don't 'act' nervous and keep your cool, they'll most probably ignore you.
I have been stopped once for filtering, but that's cos I made a bad/late decision and ironically, a cop was a few cars back, plus I was a little over the limit before the traffic. He just slapped my wrist and said what I did was ok, but to think ahead. That's the trick. Think ahead and don't be stupid, else they will have you.

This is all what I've been told by the boys in blue and is what I ride by, so if there are any cops reading this, or anyone knows any different, then please, tell me too!!</blockquote>

Squiggles
5th December 2005, 16:26
you lost me a bit here:

we are allowed to use the bus lanes on the motorway when they are bus lanes (between the hours indicated) or are motorbikes not allowed to for the motorway ones?

ajturbo
5th December 2005, 16:43
well... onthe way to wellington this morning... i saw 5 bikes ride past a cop.. they were all lane splitting, and none of them slowed when they cought up to the cop... SHE just pulled over a bit more to let them pass........

the cop was in the right hand lane... i was in the left..

Ducman
5th December 2005, 17:24
My understanding is the right to use the bus lanes on a motorcycle is a decision made by that city's council. The motorways are land transport and they don't allow motorcycles to use their bus lanes.

bugjuice
5th December 2005, 17:47
you lost me a bit here:

we are allowed to use the bus lanes on the motorway when they are bus lanes (between the hours indicated) or are motorbikes not allowed to for the motorway ones?
local laws might apply in other regions, but around auckland, stay away from the buslanes on motorways..

Test Pilot
5th December 2005, 20:11
This is what a KB cop PMd me when i asked the same ?

"Did you get picked up? If so let me know the details. Lane splitting is against the law!, but saying that the motorway staff have been told to turn a blind eye to it IF IT IS BEING DONE SAFELY! Meaning no faster than about 20 quicker than the traffic and only if the traffic is moving slowly eg < 20-25k aprox." As long as you are not stupid while doing it. When we lane split in the marked cars and if we prang going to a job on the motorway we get in the shit and charged with careless or simmular.
If you are stupid you could be looking at dangerous or even reckless."

I wont disclose which KB it was just in case he doesnt want me too.

Risky
5th December 2005, 21:06
Four years as a courier, a couple of hours reading the regulations at the public library and a court case taught me this (plain English version):

It is OK to overtake on the RIGHT of a MOVING or STATIONARY vehicle within the same lane (unless it's indicating to turn right).

It is OK to overtake on the LEFT of a STATIONARY vehicle within the same lane (unless it's indicating to turn left).

It is AN OFFENCE to overtake on the LEFT of a MOVING vehicle in the same lane (unless it's indicating to turn right).

So, to sum up, because the laws to be concerned with relate to the vehicles in the same lane as you - the other lanes are other roads, effectively - if you're travelling down the right hand side of the cars within their lane, you're OK. If you're between the lane markers and left side of moving cars, you're committing an offence. If you're on the left and they're stationary, you're OK. Until they start moving. HOWEVER...

The court case taught me that if you're overtaking safely and legally on the right and one of those vehicles being overtaken is a Constable on a police motorcycle and he offers you a ticket for Overtaking Where Prohibited and you assert that you were in fact not overtaking where prohibted, he will advise you that he "will make it Careless Driving then, and sort it out in court" where two JPs will decide that your experience and admitted unlikelihood of having an accident are irrelevant because of the louder than standard aftermarket silencers your bike was fitted with, mentioned in passing by the prosecution, which might give the drivers of the cars you were passing a fright at the moment of passing, potentially resulting in a crash and that you were, therefore, guilty of Careless Driving and should pay $480 plus costs which is more than the unlicensed 16 yr old at the same hearing who 'borrowed' his uncle's car and at 1 am on a rainy Sunday morning with 3 passengers on board, travelled the wrong way up the one way part of Crummer Rd at more than twice the speed limit and rolled the car into several parked cars would have to pay [$400 plus costs]. Or the truck driver with only a car licence who rolled his fruit and veg delivery truck at the end of Waipuna Bridge taking out a set of traffic lights, covering the local landscape with oranges and causing a road closure for 3 hours should have to pay [$450 plus costs]. And further...

As Clockwork rightly points out in previous post http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=10838 every time you overtake a car on the left, that driver has firstly committed the offence of 'Failing to drive as near as practicable to the left side of the roadway', but I would be stunned if anyone in NZ has ever been issued a ticket for that.

Practical advice? It's cheaper to be fined for Overtaking Where Prohibited than Careless Driving. In stop-start traffic, it's safer between the sides of 2 cars than between the bumpers. The less time spent amongst the fumes of near-stationary traffic the better. And your time's worth money - if lane-splitting saves you an hour every work day for doing something you like, as it does me, that's 245 hours a year. Your annual leave only totals 120 hours. So, until the 'keep left' law starts being enforced, or the 'no overtaking on the left' law is repealed to allow the least-guilty motorway users unimpeded passage, for safety, mental and physical health, and timesaving I recommend...

Don't get me started.

Highlander
5th December 2005, 21:20
Clickey Risky, that was pretty well worded.
My theory has been: if the next thing I have to do is merge with these guys, I'd best not upset them too much.
The whole deal was about as clear as a fogged up visor but what you have said makes good sense.

But those JP's need a talking to I feel there appears to be some floors in their logic.

Test Pilot
5th December 2005, 22:41
SOUNDS like you had a nasty brush with the law over this topic

XP@
6th December 2005, 09:46
It's pissing down, visor fogged up, just before 9am, the traffic is backed up, there is at least one accident ahead and oh, did i mention it's pissing down?

What do you do? try and remain semi legal and pass in between two sets of cars, some of who keep left, some don't and some think they may just not bother to indicate today (hands full with coffee and cell phone).

So you try for a while but eventually you start to get knackered holding your bike at 2 k/hr then up to 30, maybe 40 or 50 and down to 2 again. Nah, this is too dangerous you tell yourself.

What do you do?
Pull over to the side of the road and have a rest?
Keep in line with the traffic and stop and start with it?
Take the emergency lane and go for sympathy from the cops?

This morning I took the emergency lane option, it was definatly the safest option. IMHO 2 wheelers should have the option of using the emergency lane if the traffic is going less than 20 - 30 k/hr but we should be limited to 50k/hr or so.

Test Pilot
6th December 2005, 12:01
I totally agree, we are allowed to use the bus lanes etc on the normal roads. So why not on the motorway at slow speeds. Plus like you said its a safety thing for us. Dont you just love those idiots in cars trying to talk on there cell and read the paper in rush hour.

XP@
25th December 2005, 06:41
At the time of posting it appears to be a mostly safe occupation
97% have not fallen off

but the remainder (two fallers) went off big time.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=21699

Hellraiser
1st March 2006, 19:57
Now i got pulled over the other day for riding in a bus lane, even when i tryed to explain to the officer that bikes are allowed to use them he proceeded to explain to me that i was half right we are allowed to use them as long as the signs don't say "Bus Lane ONLY".

Ixion
1st March 2006, 21:03
He is wrong. The law says motorcycles must be SPECIFICALLY excluded. So the sign would need to say "No motorcycles" or "Motorcycles prohibited". But note, this does NOT apply on motorwyas.

Squiggles
1st March 2006, 21:44
get a ticket for that? if you did write'em a 'pleasant' little letter about it :msn-wink:

jtzzr
2nd March 2006, 18:22
some cops just hate bikes , it`s a fact and he`s one of them, most of the people who hate bikes can`t ride em and thats a fact as well , does anyone disagree.

Macktheknife
2nd March 2006, 18:53
Now i got pulled over the other day for riding in a bus lane, even when i tryed to explain to the officer that bikes are allowed to use them he proceeded to explain to me that i was half right we are allowed to use them as long as the signs don't say "Bus Lane ONLY".
This guy clearly doesnt like you, if its not on the motorway, contest it and you should get off the ticket. :finger:

kickingzebra
3rd March 2006, 16:20
I've only been pulled up once for riding in the motorway bus lanes, I said to the cop, as far as I am aware, it is legal, and I was polite and respectful, and he told me how it was, and said I wouldn't likely be chased if I split between lanes carefully.

The two annoying things though, firstly, the reason he got me, was because he had just pulled a car up... Onto the bus lane! yet his reasoning was, he didn't want to see a motorcyclist versus bus in the bus lane. (So its ok for a bus to take out a cop car, and someone suffering from a minor infraction, but not a motorbike)
The obvious other flaw. Buses are less than 5 per cent of traffic, and hence the bus lane sits empty for 95 per cent of the time. Safety obviously isn't the concern, It must be that the police are contracted to enforce the obligations the LTNZ sets forward. EG buses have precedence, as part of the incentivising program for public trasnport.

Damnably frustrating, and I still say, the only way I am using a bus, is if I am sitting in its lane. Thats my rant, and I'm sticking to it....

Hate dang buses, ggnnar!!

Ixion
3rd March 2006, 17:17
In this case, odd though it is, LTNZ are not the bad guys. It is Transit NZ who are in charge of motorweays and insist that motorcyclists shall not use them

Transit NZ HATE (and I mean **HATE**) motorcycles.

GIXser
7th March 2006, 19:45
The Moral of the story is,,, dont have a plate on ya bike,, and dont stop if a cop chases ya!!!'''unless ya ride a honda or other piece of crap"""hehehe

ManDownUnder
11th March 2006, 10:23
It's pissing down, visor fogged up, just before 9am, the traffic is backed up, there is at least one accident ahead and oh, did i mention it's pissing down?

What do you do? try and remain semi legal and pass in between two sets of cars, some of who keep left, some don't and some think they may just not bother to indicate today (hands full with coffee and cell phone).

So you try for a while but eventually you start to get knackered holding your bike at 2 k/hr then up to 30, maybe 40 or 50 and down to 2 again. Nah, this is too dangerous you tell yourself.

What do you do?
Pull over to the side of the road and have a rest?
Keep in line with the traffic and stop and start with it?
Take the emergency lane and go for sympathy from the cops?

This morning I took the emergency lane option, it was definatly the safest option. IMHO 2 wheelers should have the option of using the emergency lane if the traffic is going less than 20 - 30 k/hr but we should be limited to 50k/hr or so.

Na mate - the simplest and safest, and most legal is to put the visor UP - get a wet face but see clearly all the way to where you're going.

Normal splitting guidelines apply... but add in the consideration the road is wet (aka greasy) and most motorists don't know how to adjust their driving for wet conditions.

ManDownUnder
11th March 2006, 10:29

If it says "buses only" that's tantamount to a specific exclusion... even though technically it's "inclusive" .

sAsLEX
11th March 2006, 10:49
If it says "buses only" that's tantamount to a specific exclusion... even though technically it's "inclusive" .

Bikes are not allowed to use this lane. That is a specific exclusion, buses only are old signs indicating bus lanes before the new legislation came out the allows other road users such as bikes to use them. Therefore they have to add to the signs if they want to follow their own silly law.

Fatjim
11th March 2006, 11:11
I quote from the regs. (LAND TRANSPORT (ROAD USER) RULE 2004 (1.6))

buslane means a lane reserved by a marking or sign installed at the start of the lane and at each point at which the lane resumes after an intersection for the use of—

a)buses; and

b)cycles, mopeds, and motorcycles (unless one or more are specifically excluded by the sign)

The word specifically means the sign must mention the word cycle, moped or motorcycle to exclude them.
"Bus lane "only"" is not specific, but implicit.

Fatjim
11th March 2006, 11:21
He is wrong. The law says motorcycles must be SPECIFICALLY excluded. So the sign would need to say "No motorcycles" or "Motorcycles prohibited". But note, this does NOT apply on motorwyas.

Do you mean the "hard shoulder" or a bus lane on the motorway?

Fatjim
11th March 2006, 11:25

I think "Tanatamount to a specific exclusion" is an oxymoron. (note the non-edit of the original post to correct spelling)

Ixion
11th March 2006, 11:27
Do you mean the "hard shoulder" or a bus lane on the motorway?

The "bus lanes" .Transit claim, (though I think the claim dubious, and untested in law - just don't m'self to be the first to test it), that their "bylaws" override the general law about bus lanes, and that "their" buslanes are not really bus lanes at all, but rather the hard shoulder, and they have given buses (only) a specific dispensation to the law forbidding vehicles to use the hard shoulder.

All very dodgy.But you will still get a ticket if you use them. I hope someone gets one and fights it. But I am no martyr.

The reality is that Transit HATE motorcycles, and would very much like us banned completely. the last thing they would ever do is agree to something that might make bikes attractive to cagers.

kickingzebra
11th March 2006, 13:35
I say old chaps, remember those good old days of 5 horsepower motor perambulators and bloody revolutions... dear me what what what, have another cigar old chap

Death to all opposing worldviews!!! and Transit!!

Dai
3rd April 2006, 10:04
Ok here goes my 2 cents worth.

Lane splitting, or whitelining as I learnt to call it in the UK.

I worked as a despatch rider in the UK for 2 years doing inter city trips. The motorways were ok and one could keep a reasonable speed up. When a jam occurred then whilst not strictly legal the police forces turned a bling eye to bikers filtering their way throught the traffic.

Hit a big city like London 10+ million people where the average speed of a car is 16kph and a motorbike is 24kkph then filtering becomes an art. Watch the riders in London filtering is mind blowing. No wonder they have a "life expectancy" of 1 year from when they start despatch work.

Back to the point.

Since comming home to NZ and getting back on a bike here I am amazed at how couteous most drivers are when a bike comes up behind. Trucks also. The majority seem to move a little away from the white line so as to give more room. I always try and acknowledge those who have obviously done this.

What I find frustrating is that a lot of the bikers I see on the Auckland motorway seem to be very hesitant when filtering. From my experiences in the UK where traffic density is much greater, I found this to be a recipe for an accident or incident. The ins and outs of the legal side here in NZ I do not know but what I do see is a lot of bikers waiting for an accident.

Sorry if this upsets anyone but I have 35 years of biking behind me. 250,000 miles of despatch work in 2 years in UK. Numerable accidents myself as I'm not perfect. I'm just saying it as I see it.

I learnt over all these years that the greatest asset a bike has is its acceleration. You can get out of trouble faster with a bike than a car but if you are hesitant then that advantage goes.

Enough preaching.

Nice to see a healthy dicussion group going here andf I will lurk for a while. I may even jump in with a comment or question or two.

Dai

XP@
3rd April 2006, 11:51
What I find frustrating is that a lot of the bikers I see on the Auckland motorway seem to be very hesitant when filtering. From my experiences in the UK where traffic density is much greater, I found this to be a recipe for an accident or incident. The ins and outs of the legal side here in NZ I do not know but what I do see is a lot of bikers waiting for an accident.

So, can you give us some pointers from what your experiences in the UK?
I would be interested to know what caused most splitting accidents and the techniques used to stop them occuring.
Also more precicely how we are waiting for an accident?

madboy
3rd April 2006, 13:38
In my not so humble opinion, XP@ - cover the brakes, expect to be cut up, and always leave an escape route. And don't have an impromptu go with an SV650 in 3-lane rush hour traffic :devil2:

XP@
4th April 2006, 09:06
In my not so humble opinion, XP@ - cover the brakes, expect to be cut up, and always leave an escape route. And don't have an impromptu go with an SV650 in 3-lane rush hour traffic :devil2:
Totally, about the braking as I start to split i always cover brake and clutch with 4 fingers, foot covering rear brake and posture ready for a max effort stop.

vtec
4th April 2006, 14:29
Hmm, I get ready to swing the bike to either side, cause the best advantage the bike has is its ability to fit through small gaps, so if someone moves over on you, you just move with them sharing a lane, I think one of the worst things you can do is an emergency braking manoeuvre. Should be saved for emergencies only. Firstly if you go hard on the brakes, you lose any ability to change direction. Secondly, you're likely to get someone ramming you up the arse. Just go with the flow, by all means brake if you're blocked off, but my preferred method is to swing the bike into gaps.

beyond
4th April 2006, 14:40
Ok here goes my 2 cents worth.

Dai

That's because most Kiwi riders are paranoid about getting done for careless or reckless riding because the legislators can't tidy up there act and tell us in plain English what we can and can't do. :(

Filtering would be safer if we could concentrate on filtering and not looking madly about for any bike hating cop, lurking on overbridges to up their ticket quotas.

We are long overdue on the legislators recognising that motorbikes are saving the environment and making it easier for all motorists to get to work quicker.
There would be a lot more motorcyclists commuting if the shoulders were dedicated to them at certain speed limits etc.

BarBender
12th April 2006, 18:34
[QUOTE=beyond]That's because most Kiwi riders are paranoid about getting done for careless or reckless riding because the legislators can't tidy up there act and tell us in plain English what we can and can't do. :(QUOTE]

I went down the NW after work this arvo and passed a cop in the middle lane while underpassing cars in the right lane. I didnt notice he was there until it was too late and thought bugger it - he would have spotted me anyway so just carried on. However he didnt even bat an eyelid and so I just carried on.

I think your point about the difficulty in understanding the filtering law seems to extend to those who are meant to enforce it and hence inconsistency in its application. Crazy. Leaves it wide open for interpretation and abuse perhaps...

craigs288
13th April 2006, 15:08
A lot of factors, but the two main ones are financially driven.

Obviously any police(wo)man wanting to keep their quota up will take the easy option of ticketing the motorbike for anything they feel like.

But can you imagine if half the cagers in auckland decided to come to work on a 250 for a week. All the petrol stations would make about 25% of the income they normally make. They would have to rape our wallets even harder to make some money.

And when you consider the government is making about 70cents for every litre of petrol sold, how would they make up the shortfall in their income.
They will have to rape our wallets even harder through taxation of income to make up for the lack of gas guzzling cages on the road.

No government department will ever introduce any legislation to make it cheaper or safer to travel, whether by rail, bus, car or bike. Because all they will ever do is lose money. Your money. All they will do is introduce more laws to ticket you with, claiming it is in the interest of motoring safety and/or reducing congestion.

surfchick
13th April 2006, 18:31
I lane split if the cars are banking up on the NW. If she's grinding on stop start I'll ride in line w the cars till they grind stopped again then lane split till the cars are up & running again. quite mild mannered am i... seen a red Duc carving up regular. even when the cars are going OK.:love: both of us still seem to be shiny side up, so each to their own!

Swoop
13th April 2006, 20:12

Obviously any police(wo)man wanting to keep their quota up will take the easy option of ticketing the motorbike for anything they feel like.

But can you imagine if half the cagers in auckland decided to come to work on a 250 for a week. All the petrol stations would make about 25% of the income they normally make. They would have to rape our wallets even harder to make some money.

And when you consider the government is making about 70cents for every litre of petrol sold, how would they make up the shortfall in their income.
They will have to rape our wallets even harder through taxation of income to make up for the lack of gas guzzling cages on the road.

No government department will ever introduce any legislation to make it cheaper or safer to travel, whether by rail, bus, car or bike. Because all they will ever do is lose money. Your money. All they will do is introduce more laws to ticket you with, claiming it is in the interest of motoring safety and/or reducing congestion.

You need some bling for that!

Sketchy_Racer
13th April 2006, 20:18
You need some bling for that!

Hell Yeah!!

judecatmad
2nd August 2006, 16:07
Na mate - the simplest and safest, and most legal is to put the visor UP - get a wet face but see clearly all the way to where you're going.

Normal splitting guidelines apply... but add in the consideration the road is wet (aka greasy) and most motorists don't know how to adjust their driving for wet conditions.

But here's the thing I want to know (novice alert....sorry for the dumb question and the fact that it's kinda off the thread.....), how the heck do you ride in the cold AND wet when you wear glasses? Can't have the visor up cos of the rain, can't have it down cos of the fogging :( Have tried cat cr@p and either I'm not using it right, or it really is as good as its name! LOL

Had to stay in the traffic today cos of the rain - really couldn't see where I was going too well so I didn't dare scoot along inbetween the lanes. Really frustrating!! :mad:

Ixion
2nd August 2006, 16:14
Put your visor part way up, high enough that you just look under it. it will act like a peak and keep the rain off your glasses. You can fine tune this by tilting your head back or forward a bit.

sAsLEX
2nd August 2006, 16:20
Put your visor part way up, high enough that you just look under it. it will act like a peak and keep the rain off your glasses. You can fine tune this by tilting your head back or forward a bit.

On my helemt if you get it right you get no wind in you face at all, funny aeros to blame I reckon but play around and you can find a point where most helmets do this

ManDownUnder
2nd August 2006, 16:29
But here's the thing I want to know (novice alert....sorry for the dumb question and the fact that it's kinda off the thread.....), how the heck do you ride in the cold AND wet when you wear glasses?

I don't know... but I'm sure others here will be able to help

warewolf
2nd August 2006, 19:21
how the heck do you ride in the cold AND wet when you wear glasses? Can't have the visor up cos of the rain, can't have it down cos of the foggingWith difficulty, even with contact lenses.

If I open my visor at all, rain dribbles/splashes down the inside, up high where you look through and can't reach with your fingers to wipe it clear.

Fog City and/or the Pin Lock anti-fog shields can help but have their own issues.

judecatmad
8th August 2006, 12:37
I was in the cage today (cos I burnt my arm at the weekend and can't ride at the mo...) and bugger me, if I wasn't changing lanes on SH1 just after the interchange just as a red bike came screaming up inbetween the lane I was moving from and the lane I was moving to. One minute he wasn't there, the next he was. I tell you, it scared holy hell out of me and I'm a driver who is well aware of the need to look out for bikes! I have no issues with bikes travelling inbetween cars, but for god's sake, do it safely and not at speed - especially around an area where you know traffic is merging and there's likely to be a fair bit of lane changing going on. The legality of lane splitting has nothing to do with my concern about this rider this morning. Once I'd changed lanes, he sped off again. Probably a whole heap of fun but...well, you know. I'm a total nanna on my bike in heavy traffic, but at least I'm not a squished bug on the rear bumper of someone's car.....That's my rant for the day! LOL (oh, as far as the fogging/misting visor in the cold and wet, I've figured that I must just breathe funny. My glasses fog up when it's cold, even when my visor is fully open! The rain thing is definitely an ongoing issue to work on - LASIK might end up being my solution!)

Swoop
8th August 2006, 13:37
Step 1: Throw glasses away.:yes: :yes: :yes:
Step 2: Get laser eye surgery.:yes:
Step 3: Have beer.:sunny:

moko
9th August 2006, 14:25
So, can you give us some pointers from what your experiences in the UK?
I would be interested to know what caused most splitting accidents and the techniques used to stop them occuring.
Also more precicely how we are waiting for an accident?

I know what Dai`s saying as another old hand.If you`re indecisive then you`re un-sure,if you`re unsure then you`re not confident,if you`re not confident then you`re half-way to screwing up,here`s my contribution.
Think ahead,dont just look at the few metres in front of your wheel,watch the road ahead,your mirrors(for other bikes coming behind) and both lanes of cars,you might get a car letting the guy next to him into his lane so look out for indicators or wheels that aren`t pointing straight ahead.
Be decisive,if you`re not sure dont do it,if you are dont mess about,you`ll confuse other road users and possibly put yourself in danger as a result,make sure you indicate,using your hazard lights is great for encouraging people to move over or let them know you`re coming through as is having your lights on main beam,both can also piss people off but I`d rather do that than have someone pull out because they`ve not seen me.
Always acknowledge anyone who pulls over to let you through,if you dont there`s a good chance they wont bother again.
Stay alert at all times,there`s literally danger all around when you`re filtering and day-dreaming or being distracted is a seriously bad idea.
Watch out for other bikes,I`ve had 2 near misses recently where other bikes have pulled out from the traffic right in front of me without looking to filter themselves.Also keep an eye out for what`s at the front of the queue,I learned this the hard way when I came up behind a little twist n go scooter thing sitting between 2 lines of cars at some lights leading onto a roundabout.The lights changed and the prat couldn`t keep up with the cars let alone pull ahead.I ended up following him very slowly while cars streamed by on both sides,I couldn`t get back in,lad on the scooter was all over the place,not that he had anywhere to go either,and starting to very obviously panic,not nice at all.Now if I see my way blocked by something like that I`ll pull into the first gap,if your bike wont fit in neatly dont worry,just stick your bike in the way so they cant move before you do,they might get pissed off and give you grief but what the hell,just staring ahead and ignoring it is the best move...and give them a wave when you pull away as if they`ve graciously let you in,a lot wont bother anyway,not as if you`ve stopped them from going anywhere.
Filtering is an art form,to do it correctly and safely requires observation,quick reflexes,anticipation and good machine control,dont try it if you`re not totally confident in your own abilities and never,ever take chances.

Matt
30th August 2006, 08:32
Great advice in this thread - been lane-splitting for the first time this week whilst commuting, all going ok although it's pretty low-speed (<50kph) - this morning was awesome - great weather and a big tailbacks from Horokiwi, filtered for about 5k at 30-35kph - even had a cyclist overtake me, but who cares :rockon:

Matt

Fub@r
30th August 2006, 12:46
Lane spliiting on the motorway for me is way easier than suburban streets although I seem to have discovered a mental limitation.

Morning rush hour I can happily lane split from Te Atatu to the City. In the evenings I can't bring myself to lane split. Can't for the life of me think why. Only thing I can think of is that in the mornings people don't really rush to work whereas in the evenings eveyone is rushing to get home and take more risks. I see so many more risky lane changes in the evening than I do in the mornings. Anyone else have this issue or is it just me being unique? :mellow:

judecatmad
30th August 2006, 12:58
Lane spliiting on the motorway for me is way easier than suburban streets although I seem to have discovered a mental limitation.

Morning rush hour I can happily lane split from Te Atatu to the City. In the evenings I can't bring myself to lane split. Can't for the life of me think why. Only thing I can think of is that in the mornings people don't really rush to work whereas in the evenings eveyone is rushing to get home and take more risks. I see so many more risky lane changes in the evening than I do in the mornings. Anyone else have this issue or is it just me being unique? :mellow:

Nope, you're not the only one - happens to me too...although I'm not overly experienced so I'm not sure if maybe I'm too tired by the evening to concentrate well enough to lane split.

I'm also a lot more relaxed by the evening and not so bothered about going overly fast (LOL, not that the ginny goes 'fast' anyway...but you know what I mean!).

There always seems to be more accidents in the evenings tho so you might be on to something with regard to the 'taking more risks while rushing to get home' thing......

FROSTY
31st August 2006, 17:33
I filter a lot definitely the one big rule for me is --if I aint comfortable I wont do it---what ever "it" happens to be

Toaster
28th November 2006, 19:36
The issue of filtering has been raised so many times I've set this up as a sticky. SO PLEASE COULD THE ACTUAL POLICE KBERS RESPOND TO THIS THREAD.
pm me if ya aint happy being quoted

I remember reading an extract from the Herald reporter who does a blurb on what you can and can't do on roads etc. She said lane splitting was legal as long as it is done safely. Many cops don't actually know that, so may pull people over in error - if they can be bothered. She also confirmed that the motorway bus lanes where out of bounds, but the city bus lanes are okay for bikers to play on the lovely green paint (I wonder how much fun that stuff would be in the wet...). The post regarding passing within the same lane etc was also correct.

NUTBAR
28th November 2006, 20:26
But here's the thing I want to know (novice
Had to stay in the traffic today cos of the rain - really couldn't see where I was going too well so I didn't dare scoot along inbetween the lanes. Really frustrating!! :mad:

go to your local bike shop and ask for a antifog sheild for your helmit. iv got one in both of my helmits and they work well.
iv had no problem with fog since. $27 - $50.

Fub@r
29th November 2006, 09:16
go to your local bike shop and ask for a antifog sheild for your helmit. iv got one in both of my helmits and they work well.

Or you can have your visor just up a notch to let the air in. Both work just as well

Transalper
29th November 2006, 09:54
i found one notch up still fogs when sitting stationery at the lights etc but the fog sheilds are generally good for 4 or 5 minutes stopped with visor down, unless your wearing glasses.

Fub@r
29th November 2006, 10:41
i found one notch up still fogs when sitting stationery at the lights etc but the fog sheilds are generally good for 4 or 5 minutes stopped with visor down, unless your wearing glasses.

Heavy breather eh :innocent:

judecatmad
29th November 2006, 11:13
Heavy breather eh :innocent:

Must be - I can't even sit at lights on a warm, dry day without the visor fogging up!

Maybe I have an odd shaped head that doesn't fit my helmet quite right?! :rofl:

And having the visor open even a notch doesn't work in the pissing down rain (and spray from other vehicles) cos the glasses end up wet. Made the Desert Road VERY scary over labour weekend - fogged up visor which I couldn't open to clear cos if I opened it and my glasses got wet, there was nowhere dry to stop and wipe them. In any case, I had no dry gear with which to wipe them even if I could find a dry place to stop!!

I still reckon LASIK is the way to go - but then a new bike will have to wait.....damn! I hate being poor and having to make choices! LOL

stunz
29th November 2006, 11:15
Split to the right of the car in the same lane at a reasonable speed and it should all be good. If you swap lanes, try to indicate at least.
Someone I don't know did a vid yesterday on the way to te job and the problem is you can clearly see traffic in the right hand lane moving over to make room, whereas left laners move to the right (center). Cagers drive on the right hand side they are more comfortable moving over to the right. Spatial perception or some such naff.
Puts us in a bit of a quandary eh?
Its "illegal" to filter past moving traffic on the left, but the only room available is in that lane on the left. We know it, most cagers know it, but the law doesn't.

Dishwash liquid. Wipe visor inside and out once a week with a napkin or hanky, no foggy, rain or cold.

Indiana_Jones
29th November 2006, 11:24
How slippery do the cat eyes, or those bubble things on the M-way get when it's wet?

-Indy

vamr
29th November 2006, 19:00
How slippery do the cat eyes, or those bubble things on the M-way get when it's wet?

-Indy

As long as you don't brake, open the throttle or lean the bike on them I doubt you'd notice they are even there (apart from the bump over the cat eyes).

apteryx_haasti
29th November 2006, 20:29
Well, it finally happened. On my way home this afternoon I lane split right past a cop car. Traffic was maybe going 20 kph and I was going maybe 30 kph. I didn't see him until I was about 1 car behind, so I just remembered what I'd read and carried on past in the same fashion as I had been riding.

MY question - if I was actually doing anything that said cop thought was not correct, would they have to pull me over on my travels, or can I receive an infringement notice (for whatever it might be) in the mail if he took offense (and my rego number!)....?

Very curious. Like I say, I don't THINK I was doing anything wrong, but it is such a grey area....

Ixion
29th November 2006, 21:36
In theory he can send u a ticket in the mail. Or break your front door in and arrest you and cart you off to the Clink. But in practice I would be utterly astonished if he did anything at all.

Oh, and your reason for editing is not sufficient. Please unedit it immediately
'

Gremlin
30th November 2006, 00:50
depends... ride over a huge line of them, with high revs, and it can be interesting :yes:

Just remember its smooth wet plastic, so grip would be hard to achieve in most circumstances. I really hate it when I almost get stuck on them, and ride over multiple sets at a time, it really gets irritating :lol:

I have also found that the cops sitting in traffic actually cut you the most slack (well, from my own experience). The ones you have to normally watch out for, are sitting on the over bridges, or hiding on the on-ramps.

city bus lanes are okay for bikers to play on the lovely green paint (I wonder how much fun that stuff would be in the wet...)

Actually the paint would be quite good... it's not just paint on it's own, it actually has more grip than the rest of the road...

Indiana_Jones
30th November 2006, 07:10
I really hate it when I almost get stuck on them, and ride over multiple sets at a time, it really gets irritating :lol:

lol yea, that's annoying!

And I went past 2 cops this week, they cager cops don't seem to mind, but myself and a few other riders saw a biker cop ahead on the way home yesterday, and as the other guy said who was riding next to me "We're all beening good boys!" :D

-Indy

Swoop
30th November 2006, 11:53
I didn't see him until I was about 1 car behind...
I think you might need to be looking further in front of you when riding! To only see something when it is that close...
Marked cars are easy, mufti cops (isn't a mufti an islamic leader???) are more of a challenge.

Indiana_Jones
7th December 2006, 11:24
I think you might need to be looking further in front of you when riding! To only see something when it is that close...
Marked cars are easy, mufti cops (isn't a mufti an islamic leader???) are more of a challenge.

Pretty true, HP cars u can spot ages away. But marked ones are a bitch, well for me at least. I started splitting in front of one today, only knew he was a cop cause' I saw a guy in unifrom behind the wheel lol, I quickly buzzed off and hoped he hadn't radioed ahead :scooter:

-Indy

Ixion
7th December 2006, 11:29
Apropos of which, am I the only one who thinks it's a right pain the number of people wearing hi-vis vests when driving (presumably, on their way to or from work - lots of places make people wear them now).

One easily spotted marker of a mufti used to be the glimpse of green fluoro .(Course, *some* of the bastiges didn't play fair and wear them ) Now it's all over the shop.

The_Dover
7th December 2006, 11:31
I just constantly scan the rear window.

The disco lights aren't exactly inconspicuous, unless you're splitting like a right twat.

WickedOne
7th December 2006, 11:33
On my way home yesterday I was sitting behind a bike cop because I wasn't sure if he would pull me up about lane splitting or not. The guy then opens his helmet and pulls in besides me. Turns out to be an english fellow and he says to me: "Go ahead, it's alright to filter as long as you do it safely, otherwise there's no point in owning a motorcycle is there? So thanks mr officer and off I go!!! Bring on more cops like that!!!:scooter:

Kflasher
7th December 2006, 11:39
Well Wednesday morning heading to work, lane splitting as you do, passed a small truck only to find a concealed HP car in front of it. Not only was I totally committed to my lane splitting actions there were a few extra officers in the car as well. One appeared to be of high command to the others. I know I have split passed unmarked cars before but marked cars seem to have an uneasy feeling about them…

apteryx_haasti
7th December 2006, 11:51
On my way home yesterday I was sitting behind a bike cop because I wasn't sure if he would pull me up about lane splitting or not. The guy then opens his helmet and pulls in besides me. Turns out to be an english fellow and he says to me: "Go ahead, it's alright to filter as long as you do it safely, otherwise there's no point in owning a motorcycle is there? So thanks mr officer and off I go!!! Bring on more cops like that!!!:scooter:

Awesome! Bling to that copper - whoever he is. Since I don't know, I will just bling you instead (for sharing!)

Kflasher
7th December 2006, 12:12
... "Go ahead, it's alright to filter... Yeah this is all we need more down to earth coppers...

lb99
7th December 2006, 13:08
to drag off the first cage in line when the lights change?

I don't, it feels a bit bad mannered like pushing in to the line at the bank, I will sit in their mirror and merge behind them as they move off.

I saw someone do the ol' racing start at a roundabout the other day, only to get trapped beside a cage that took exception cause he was in the front of the line and wanting to turn right (single lane roundabout) coulda been very messy

vifferman
7th December 2006, 13:14
Who splits right to the front to drag off the first cage in line when the lights change?
I do.
I don't give a damn if you think it's bad-mannered. It sure beats sitting in the other traffic's wake as the cars/trucks spew out carcinogens, while waiting for them to crawl up to speed. I'd also rather be riding in a clear space of my own, where I can.

Mind you, having said that, I've several times caught myself thinking after passing some badly-driving fwit, "Am I really better off in front of them?" :spudwhat:

vifferman
7th December 2006, 13:19
We know it, most cagers know it, but the law doesn't.
The law is an ass, y'know. Quite possibly an arse as well. :yes:
The trouble is, most of the namby-pamby laws (and enforcement thereof) have little to do with commonsense, the laws of physics, or any other sensible rationale, and everything to do with the creeping onslaught of SafetyNazism and bureaucracy.

Indiana_Jones
7th December 2006, 22:02

I don't, it feels a bit bad mannered like pushing in to the line at the bank, I will sit in their mirror and merge behind them as they move off.

Bad mannered perhaps, but screw 'em lol :D

Well I don't really see a prob, cause' you're gonna go faster then them off the mark and you won't slow their trip down at all really. :scooter:

-Indy

vamr
7th December 2006, 22:16
Haven't had the destinct pleasure of getting abuse from lane splitting *knock on wood*

I do feel bad sitting right next to an open window sharing the wonderful aroma of burning 2t oil.

Disco Dan
7th December 2006, 22:24
my experience is they only get ratty when you clip their mirrors when you split! :dodge:

Ixion
7th December 2006, 22:26
I prefer to get to the front and get clear smartish when the lights change. I like some space between me and the idiots. But, yes, be careful on roundabouts, they're tricky cos of having to take off on the curve.

lb99
8th December 2006, 07:47
Bad mannered perhaps, but screw 'em lol :D

Well I don't really see a prob, cause' you're gonna go faster then them off the mark and you won't slow their trip down at all really. :scooter:

-Indy

My point was that by pulling up beside the first car in line, you are pretty much challenging them to a drag, which could be courting disaster.

In saying that I used to do it all the time on my NSR when I was a teenager and used to ride like a twat (I used to think nothing of lanesplitting at 70k+ in the rain, spinning the wheel on the white line, lucky I'm still here now)

Anyway, nowdays I commute on a Z200, which is well and truly outclassed by anything with an eager driver, so I find it better and safer to go second.

Oh, by the way, the other day I made the 11km commute in 9min ?sec, can you guys up north do that?

Gremlin
9th December 2006, 00:14
My point was that by pulling up beside the first car in line, you are pretty much challenging them to a drag, which could be courting disaster.
mmm depends, sometimes I find the car takes off really slowly, wondering what you are doing. I prefer tootling off the line before them, so as not to hold anyone up etc. The only issue there is that you have to be really careful about the twits running reds from other angles. :shit: I have had some really blatant ones (green for me, and 3-4 cars come through). I find launching off the line real fast and noisy tends to make them panic, as you come towards them :devil2: Hopefully it teaches them a lesson.

Oh, by the way, the other day I made the 11km commute in 9min ?sec, can you guys up north do that?
Yes, in middle of rush hour. I mean no, never got close to that.

I'll get to the front of the queue and then pull in front of whatever cars are there, that way it's not a drag race because you're already in front of them.

lb99
9th December 2006, 07:03
Yes, in middle of rush hour. I mean no, never got close to that.

this was "rush hour" too I left home at 749 going "mutter mutter farkin wimmin grumble grumble" opened up the taps and I hit the kill switch at work at 758 :sweatdrop

lb99
9th December 2006, 07:04
I'll get to the front of the queue and then pull in front of whatever cars are there, that way it's not a drag race because you're already in front of them.

I guess I will have to get a faster bike then, oh, and a town with traffic lights to try it out on :niceone:

samwp
9th December 2006, 18:20

hell yea! heard the same about ciggy tax. . .

hamie1
24th January 2007, 21:49
I guess I will have to get a faster bike then, oh, and a town with traffic lights to try it out on :niceone:

Mate I ride a GT250R and have no trouble pulling any car at the lights... but... it is more fun thrashing them as they get to the traffic and can't pass! Tonight there was a Turbo ford that was left dead on the spot then caught up to me (shit yaah I lewt it... read on to find out why) as we passed through the speed camera zone (love no front plate idea) it was hard on the pedal but 130ish is no defense for a great photo in an 80km/h zome and I was gone!
But I must say that it is just as much fun pulling up beside a car, making sure they know you are there (look at them, pull the visor up and down, rev and...) watch them make a dick of themselves as they F off by themselves as you sit at the lights and point! Dick!

$CENSLS1$
24th February 2007, 21:57
This post has helped me out heaps!!! :rockon:

Lou Girardin
25th February 2007, 06:10

Until you meet Mr Psycho Driver who runs you into the kerb (it happened) get away quick and build a good safety cushion from the car behind.
I was filtering down the Grafton on-ramp on Tuesday and wondered why the bike ahead was stopped in the traffic, 10 metres further on I saw the reason - Bike Plod. So, nothing ventured, nothing gained, I carried on past him. Plod couldn't have cared less. I guess he thought it was a bigger crime to sit in traffic on a bike.

Roj
16th March 2007, 15:14

Not a problem in Hamilton:rockon:

We think there is a traffic jam if you have to wait 1 minute...

stelartia
30th March 2007, 16:05
i have just read this entire thread and yes it has helped alot. ive been riding for 2 years now and after driving a car for 9 years i find it hard to judge that gap between cars for lane-splitting. have been practising though and find it better every time. i prefer to travel like a car unless its heavy traffic. like was said earlier - why have a bike otherwise.

bull
1st April 2007, 08:39
My views on splitting.
As a noob i approached Riffer as a mentor to lead me through for a couple of runs into Wellington. Was my first time ever lane-splitting and those three morning runs in peak hr traffic did wonders for my confidence. The next few days by myself i was quite comfortable to split through. As Riffer advised me - always cover the front brake and always have an escape route.
After a month or so of splitting i have found that i cna read the traffic alot better, simple things like checking for gaps ahead of high sided vehicles as cages like to jump into the gaps willy nilly. Searching as far ahead as possible, checking mirrors for other bikes coming through and taking care when passing other bikes incase they decide to just come out to split.
Also having a good look at what cars are at the front of the queue, boy racers etc then i dont filter to the front, also if cops at the front i dont like the thought of sitting beside their windows. Did make the mistake of pulling in front of a boy racer on Wednesday just gone, he took exception to it and fair revved the shit out of his car behind me on takeoff, i went for gold and left him behind for a while then when he caught up he was in the fast lane doing about 130km/h whilst i cruised at 109km/h - but he hadnt seen the cop over on the left with lights flashing - obviously he still had the red mist in his eyes from the traffic lights, i laughed my head off as his car dived under braking.

So by all means do it if youre comfortable doing it but make sure you do it safely and expect the unexpected

BarBender
1st April 2007, 21:44
Did make the mistake of pulling in front of a boy racer on Wednesday just gone, he took exception to it and fair revved the shit out of his car behind me on takeoff, i went for gold and left him behind for a while then when he caught up he was in the fast lane doing about 130km/h whilst i cruised at 109km/h - but he hadnt seen the cop over on the left with lights flashing - obviously he still had the red mist in his eyes from the traffic lights, i laughed my head off as his car dived under braking.

So by all means do it if youre comfortable doing it but make sure you do it safely and expect the unexpected

LOL:killingme Great set up.

You did well not to go past the boy racer and do this....:tugger: or this :clap: or perhaps this :nya: or even this :motu:.

Big Dan
2nd April 2007, 08:00
Just on my way to work driving my car thru hillsborough traffic was slowing i was doing about 30kph a bike on the left hand side just blasted past. it does give you a fright weather i'm on the motoway or road if i see a biker i give them as much room as possible as i genrally look out for them

Ixion
2nd April 2007, 08:03
Just on my way to work driving my car thru hillsborough traffic was slowing i was doing about 30kph a bike on the left hand side just blasted past. it does give you a fright weather i'm on the motoway or road if i see a biker i give them as much room as possible as i genrally look out for them

There's y' problem. Ride y' bike to work. Sorted.

Multiman
21st May 2007, 21:26
Been splitting every day for two years. Just take a deep breath relax and scan the traffic ahead. and for christ sake keep an eye out for the wankers who close the gap just to try and cut you off. Mind you there are a few bikers out there with a death wish Splitting @ 80k? fuck wits.

moko
22nd May 2007, 09:15
Splitting @ 80k? fuck wits.

Better not ride over here then mate because that's normal.

Will
22nd May 2007, 18:27
Splitting on the Southern Motorway yesterday morning, I caught up to a cop on a bike that wasn't splitting. Said Good Morning as I went past. Got thinking about why was he sitting parked with the traffic when I thought that maybe he was trying to ambush the faster lane splitters. Couldn't think of any other reason why he would be staying with the cars.

sinned
22nd May 2007, 19:39
Splitting on the Southern Motorway yesterday morning, I caught up to a cop on a bike that wasn't splitting. Said Good Morning as I went past. Got thinking about why was he sitting parked with the traffic when I thought that maybe he was trying to ambush the faster lane splitters. Couldn't think of any other reason why he would be staying with the cars.

That was tempting fate. Of course the cop has to stay with the traffic.

Winter
22nd May 2007, 21:05

Was it?

On the northern the other day I was the last of three bikes that were splitting. We all past a biker cop. I had slowed because the car infront right of me was doing odd thins. I ended up nearly riding two abreast with the cop. Looked at him and gave him a nod, then took off again.

I could have sworn i heard one of those police beep whoop things tho!

Will
22nd May 2007, 22:40

I have had one splitting right behind me one day and another time I was following one as we split.

So no, I don't think that they have to stay with the traffic.

Racey Rider
23rd May 2007, 19:30
I asked this in another thread, but would like more input from those here.
This is not talking about a motorway situation, just a normal road.

... why would you indicate to pass a car on the right while staying in the same lane as that car. Surly you indicate to notify a change of lanes, not to notify a pass in the same lane?
If you pass on the right, while remaining in the same lane as the other vehicle, you don't need to indicate?
True or False?

BAD DAD
23rd May 2007, 19:45
So if there are 2 stationary queues of fat people lined up at that doughnut stand and me being a little on the slim side , slip up the middle to the front of said Q's to get served first should I expect several biffs in the head or no negative response at all? Although I did do this ONCE at the local bakery, I would never expect to do it again without a bit of black n blue.

Swoop
23rd May 2007, 19:51
...at that doughnut stand ... should I expect several biffs in the head... I would never expect to do it again without a bit of black n blue.
Donut shops = Blue and Reds... possibly parked outside.:whistle:

BAD DAD
23rd May 2007, 20:05
Donut shops = Blue and Reds... possibly parked outside.:whistle:

WE FEW..WE STRANGE FEW

Laughed at your comment Swoop though not quite sure what your getting at. By the way, what is that chimp shooting @ ?

Winter
23rd May 2007, 20:06
Take a look at my lovely diagram.
Coming up port onramp southbound to northen motorway.

Two lanes all the way up to the curve, merges to one lane, then merges onto motorway.

Whats the best / quickest way to do this?

Whats the best quickest way to do this safely?

Swoop
23rd May 2007, 20:10
By the way, what is that chimp shooting @ ?
Something off to the side of the screen. I'm guessing it is a speed camera...
"Monkey no like camera!"

Multiman
29th May 2007, 23:01
Bugger, the lane got thin on the northern today. I touched a truck and knocked my right mirror back, it got interesting when the front brake leaver got applied by something on the truck, bloody quick stop. I got away with it but it will teach me to be a little less over confidant. I must be a little wider than I thought.

swbarnett
29th May 2007, 23:29
Two lanes all the way up to the curve, merges to one lane, then merges onto motorway.

There's a similar situation on the Esmonde Rd on ramp going south. I tend to scoot up the middle until the first merge then scoot down the left side as there's generally a lot of room there once they start merging. Move back in to the traffic once it's in one lane then down the right and merge into the motorway just before the cars.

xwhatsit
30th May 2007, 00:11
Bugger, the lane got thin on the northern today. I touched a truck and knocked my right mirror back, it got interesting when the front brake leaver got applied by something on the truck, bloody quick stop. I got away with it but it will teach me to be a little less over confidant. I must be a little wider than I thought.

Hahaha you do have two flaming huge cylinders sticking out either side :D

Wow that would've been scary. Less scary for me as my front brake wouldn't stop me that quick (I find putting my boots down stops me quicker :lol:).

Bloody hell.

Swoop
30th May 2007, 09:39
Whoever rides the yellow Hyosung, with the numberplate numbers erased, down the North Western this morning...
Were you late for something? Filtering at that speed will see you splattered.

ALSO... Did you realise that you went past THREE unmarked cop cars which were in the centre lane?????
I know they will not have your plate, but I'm guessing that yellow bikes might be "looked at" in more detail thanks to your riding.

Multiman
30th May 2007, 21:59
Wow that would've been scary. Less scary for me as my front brake wouldn't stop me that quick (I find putting my boots down stops me quicker :lol:).
Didn't think those little push bikes had brakes!

Fub@r
30th May 2007, 23:05
Whoever rides the yellow Hyosung, with the numberplate numbers erased, down the North Western this morning...
Were you late for something? Filtering at that speed will see you splattered.

ALSO... Did you realise that you went past THREE unmarked cop cars which were in the centre lane?????
I know they will not have your plate, but I'm guessing that yellow bikes might be "looked at" in more detail thanks to your riding.

Saw Yellow Hyosung and NW and thought doh! But my number plate is completely legible :yes: So wasn't me :yes:

How fast was the guy going?

Swoop
1st June 2007, 15:40
How fast was the guy going?
I am only guessing speeds here... Traffic would have been about 40(ish)kph and s/he would have been about 80-85(ish) in three lanes of heavy traffic.

Fub@r
1st June 2007, 19:53
I am only guessing speeds here... Traffic would have been about 40(ish)kph and s/he would have been about 80-85(ish) in three lanes of heavy traffic.

Definetly not me then, I don't like to split above 50'ish especially when people don't indicate lane changes

Chrislost
1st June 2007, 22:48
Take a look at my lovely diagram.
Coming up port onramp southbound to northen motorway.

excust the red, its the mist,
dam traffic

Chrislost
1st June 2007, 22:51

thats dogey????????
shit!
i thought that when traffic was doing 40 it was open season!
has anyone seen the new style comies that the pigs ahve around town?
one RED and one BLACK
the NEW NEW commies
i sat and gave one the evils as i now catch a bus, he looked at me a few times then left.

Paulusgnome
13th June 2007, 20:37
I have read through this thread, and I agree with the views expressed about lane splitting : be careful and safe and you will most likely not get any grief from the police.

I would likwe to offer a spot of advice on how to deal with the police if you do find yourself talking to one about something that you may have done.

Do not argue with them! The man back on page one of this thread got stopped for lane splitting, and he said to the copper that he thought what he was doing was legal. "OK" says the cop, "lets make it careless use instead". Result? A much bigger penalty than if he had just kept his mouth shut.

Remember, the cop is not a judge, and even if you do not realise it, they do. They try it on all the time knowing full well that very few people will ever challenge them in court and will just pay up and shut up.

If you get stopped for anything at all it should be "yes sir, not sir, three bags full sir". As you take the ticket from the cop, smile, wish them a nice day, and tell them you will see them in court and that you hope that they like spending the day in court. This will probably piss them off no end, and is the start of your revenge.
The correct place to argue is in court. If you think you are getting an unfair deal, in the first instance, consult a lawyer. Then, if your lawyer agrees (or even if they do not), you can plead NOT GUILTY. You do not necessarily need a lawyer to represent you in court if it is a fairly minor matter, you can represent yourself with good legal advice in advance. Not guilty pleas are very troublesome to the police because they need to spend HEAPS of time preparing their case, etc instead of issuing more bogus tickets.

Even if you do not succeed in defending the charge, the penalty will not be that much worse, and you will have the great satisfaction of making the copper jump through lots of hoops to get his conviction.

In my experience, this is a very satisfying and empowering way to deal with any police charges that you do not think are justified.

Just my 5c worth.

Mark AKA Paulus

howdamnhard
14th June 2007, 00:53
Thanks to the female biker who taught me how to lane split tonight,through Aucklands rush hour traffic.:yes: Thanks for waiting when I was to chicken to go past the occasional truck or bus.It was a scary rush for this first timer.:scooter: I noticed most cagers obligly got out of the way but the odd few try block you.

90s
16th June 2007, 23:13
Thanks to the female biker who taught me how to lane split tonight,through Aucklands rush hour traffic.:yes: Thanks for waiting when I was to chicken to go past the occasional truck or bus.It was a scary rush for this first timer.:scooter: I noticed most cagers obligly got out of the way but the odd few try block you.

I still think that hardly any try to block you in open traffic (lights maybe sometimes ... ) but never forget - they really can't see us, really don't look, and really do weave randomly as they reach for the aircon/ipod/mobile/lipstick ...

never forget - they WILL do stupid unlikey things. Its not a video game.

MBSteve
16th August 2007, 15:20
Ah yes, here we go with another lane splitting post.

Just as I was getting on the motorway this morning in rush hour Auckland traffic, a motorway patrol police car pulled in right behind me. I am on my learners, with a little 150 RGV two stroke. I have been going on the motorway to work every morning for two months and have been lane splitting all that time. Now the cop right behind me made me nervous since I am on my learners on the motorway (although it is not expressly forbidden) and the fact that I want to get to work faster and the cop behind me is not going to like it if I am weaving in and out of the lanes like a seamster on acid. So I kinda just sat in the slow lane going 10 km/h for a while, after a while the cop changed lanes and ended up a few cars ahead of me. I stayed put in my lane. Then, in the span of three minutes, 4 bikes was splitting right past the cop either because they saw the cop too late or they just didn't care. They were on the right side of the centre line and did not have their indicators on to show that they were overtaking, as was sugested in this forum. The cop didn't care and just let them go by without any issue.

So I now believe that, unless they can catch you (bike cops etc), they won't try... awesome....

discotex
16th August 2007, 17:54
I must've splitted past 10 cops in the last 3 months alone. As long as you're not being a dick I think they've got better things to worry about.

Deviant
8th October 2007, 20:30
Has anyone here clipped a car or mirror while splitting? That's what has put me off doing it at all but the most obviously safe of times. I'm paranoid of being "that asshole biker who clipped my mirror" and giving everyone a bad name.

I've seen other bikers come pretty damn close.

swbarnett
8th October 2007, 20:59
Has anyone here clipped a car or mirror while splitting? That's what has put me off doing it at all but the most obviously safe of times. I'm paranoid of being "that asshole biker who clipped my mirror" and giving everyone a bad name.

In the last year I've clipped two mirrors. Not nice when it happens but no big deal really. Just means I wasn't paying enough attention at the time. It's a warning sign to pull my head in and stop day dreaming. If you're careful and always err on the side of going slower than you really need to through the gap there's no reason why you shouldn't get away with never touching another vehicle in any way.

Deviant
8th October 2007, 21:30
How'd the car owners react? I bet they were pissed off... if I was a cager who'd never ridden a bike, and you clipped my baby, I'd be wild.

swbarnett
9th October 2007, 17:39
How'd the car owners react? I bet they were pissed off... if I was a cager who'd never ridden a bike, and you clipped my baby, I'd be wild.
They both smiled. I only just touched them with the rubber of the hand grip so no damage done. Don't think it even left a mark.

XP@
18th October 2007, 22:38
I used to think that there were some real nutters lanesplitting out there. It was apparent that anyone faster than me must be a total nutter!

Soon I began to find that there were some really slow splitters out there, darn annoying nanas if you ask me!

A while later I realised the world consisted of about 50% Nanas and 50% Nutters.

Time went by and the nutters started to disappear. I then realise if all the nutters have gone and the world is full of nanas where does that leave me?

Clipped one once in the UK (near Fat Tonies place), I was not lane splitting, just got too close. I guess they were doing about 50mph towards me, I was doing around 115mph (throttle pinned open on my 350ypvs). I did not stop.

steveb64
21st October 2007, 11:12
I lane split if the cars are banking up on the NW. If she's grinding on stop start I'll ride in line w the cars till they grind stopped again then lane split till the cars are up & running again. quite mild mannered am i... seen a red Duc carving up regular. even when the cars are going OK.:love: both of us still seem to be shiny side up, so each to their own!

Ever stopped to think that there MAY be a reason for the Duc slicing through the traffic? Like he CAN'T go any slower? I have this problem with mine - not so bad since I went up 2 teeth on rear sprocket - used to have a minimum speed of 50kph with standard gearing - now it's down to 30kph. :argh:
Trouble is - it's also got a dry clutch, which dies if being slipped too much, so minimum (speed I can ride WITHOUT slipping/riding clutch) is 30... And YES - I've had to replace a clutch after being caught in traffic - not stop start, doing about 10 - 15 kph. When the temperature started nudging into the red - I gave up and started lane splitting - going as slow as I could without slipping the clutch...:calm: Clutch was never the same afterwards tho...

Scout
29th October 2007, 11:07

I've watched a Guy Splitting following another Motorcyclist Reach out and thump a Young Guys mirror for changing lanes in front of them once, they were doing in excess of 20k's faster than traffic and think that he was totally unreasonable as the Lad would never have seen him, the Guy that got cut off didnt even blink.

HungusMaximist
29th October 2007, 12:34
^ Yea, I remember posting here about how I have clipped a few mirrors while filtering through traffic.

You gotta be careful in those situations aye, because the cages could get your rego and come after you with shotgun or something.

In the times that I did it, I just quickly waved sorry as I was passing by and farked off asap just in case they come after me.

Yup, I felt pretty guilty but it's one of the things you'll encounter sooner or later while filtering.

unhingedlizard
29th October 2007, 13:14
Last mirror i clipped was a plumber on the way home. Only one ive clipped actually. Pulled into the side of the road as Id actually cracked it. Stupid flat mirrors. Anyway guy was good about it and took down insurance details but didnt hear a think about it. Gave me a hell of a fright, him too.

Mikkel
20th December 2007, 08:24
Dunno if this page has been linked earlier in this thread. Can't be arsed to check and anyway it won't do any harm to repost it:

http://www.ksrc-au.com/index.php?menuid=21

HornetBoy
20th December 2007, 09:39
Dont really need to lane split round these ways :niceone: but when i do i just pulle both my mirrors in ,just in case ,then when i get to the front pop them back out again :cool:,i guess thats one good thing about fairing sceen mounted mirrors.

Swoop
20th December 2007, 14:03
Dont really need to lane split round these ways :niceone: but when i do i just pulle both my mirrors in ,just in case ,then when i get to the front pop them back out again :cool:,i guess thats one good thing about fairing sceen mounted mirrors.
In a built-up area, having your mirrors in working order is compulsory.
The amount of riders who do not use their mirrors when filtering, is disgusting.

HornetBoy
26th December 2007, 20:20
In a built-up area, having your mirrors in working order is compulsory.
The amount of riders who do not use their mirrors when filtering, is disgusting.

:shutup: o by no means am i saying i dont need to use them ,its just on one occasion i had to flick them in to prevent them causing long scrapes along a very nice lexus :innocent: otherwise i would sincerely agree with you on other bikers not using their mirrors.but around here it is not as common as say Auckland

Badger8
29th December 2007, 19:23
I'm a fair bit of a nana when it comes to splitting.
Luckily i am fortunate enough to have a 7 minute commute (9 minutes in bad traffic) and dont need to touch the motorway, so it's not such an essential for me.
I will happily split if i'm approaching a red light with a modest queue of traffic and i can see plenty big enough gap down the middle right to the front, but i find most 50k roads around auckland are too narrow to afford much room. plus cagers like to sit to the right of their lane doesn't help.
If i took the motorway in rush, i'm sure it would be a different world though, wider lanes would make a world of difference i'd say.
Have tried splitting on the odd occasion i've been in sidestreets traffic jams, and people get rather pushy when i try and jump back in once they're moving, or it gets to the point i'd have to be over the white line and charging down oncoming traffic. Doesn't make a pleasureable experience for a noob! :no:

alanzs
10th May 2008, 21:51
If you don't split lanes, might as well drive a cage....:laugh:
I always split lanes.
Survival tip: Right middle finger on the brake, right foot poised on the brake. I figure that nanosecond that I may save getting to my brakes is essential, as most cages here drive like shit. I also figure cages ARE AIMING (not that they don't see me) for me, so I drive accordingly. Get in front and away from them, always.

You'll see me, as I rip between the lanes, with a big smile on my face...

mashman
11th May 2008, 19:53
The issue of filtering has been raised so many times I've set this up as a sticky.

Isn't there a law over here that specifically forbids parking on a highway??? that being the case, why isn't everyone getting booked for being stationary... And based on that thinking, aren't bikes technically not breaking any law at all...

Mikkel
12th May 2008, 10:41
Isn't there a law over here that specifically forbids parking on a highway??? that being the case, why isn't everyone getting booked for being stationary... And based on that thinking, aren't bikes technically not breaking any law at all...

I can't remember if it's Murphy's or Darwin's law that one...

mashman
13th May 2008, 11:08
I can't remember if it's Murphy's or Darwin's law that one...

:yes: certainly one of those fits the bill and the other is just wishful thinking...

Swoop
29th May 2008, 12:30
Well, it appears as if the price of petrol is putting more people onto two wheels. Unfortunately some of these retards are attempting to filter at times and speeds that are inappropriate.
If a bike comes up behind you whilst filtering, move over and let them pass. You will see them in your mirrors. If you cannot use your mirrors, get back in your cage.
Luckily some of us know how to use other "lanes", but the line of bikes that is forming behind you and stuck - due to your actions, are not appreciating your efforts.
If you ride a trailbike in traffic on a clear and sunny day, while wearing a plastic bag as a raincoat, lookout buddy...

xwhatsit
29th May 2008, 12:48
If you ride a trailbike in traffic on a clear and sunny day, while wearing a plastic bag as a raincoat, lookout buddy...
Leave Ixion alone. It's not his fault he's slower than your Nana's Nana.

Heading north into the city, before the viaduct, seems rather excessive amounts of numpties clogging the motorcycle lanes. If I had an open megaphone I could let them know I'm there, but all the RS will give out right now is a little *piffle-wheeze*.

Swoop
29th May 2008, 13:45
Leave Ixion alone. It's not his fault he's slower than your Nana's Nana.
I seriously doubt it would have been Ix. He would ride with consideration for other bikes around him.
This person was... different.
Immune to horn and pipe-music... so after a km, had to be undertaken in 1a.

Rotor
2nd June 2008, 22:20
Well it took a fucken hour to read all that blabble

My point is: Be safe and take a little bit of risk to put you in a safer space. I allways travel 10 to 20km/h above traffic unless it feels unsafe and then i sloww down, even stop. The safest place is in front of the cars so here in the Coromandels we don't have that sort of problem but when i come to Auckland on my bike its a rush. Down side of motorway riding is the pollution, the hills are better

McJim
2nd June 2008, 22:26
There's no point filtering in Invercargill. What an utterly wasted skill I have learned.:rofl:

Hanne
3rd June 2008, 23:02
There's no point filtering in Invercargill. What an utterly wasted skill I have learned.:rofl:

then again, if there is suddenly a glut of pre-apcalyptic traffic jams in your town you will be the one with the mean skills and people will see and elect you undisputed leader and you will reign over them all.

well, you never know!

mouldy
28th June 2008, 14:50
Are tou down in Invercargill cos the weather reminds you of home ?

Irontusk
22nd July 2008, 21:16
I'm not riding yet but a guy I work with has been saying that splitting is illegal and he often sees riders pulled up for it. Says that this morning he saw (first) a cop sitting as a passenger get out of his car in stand still traffic on the motor way to block a bike off and give them a ticket, shortly after the DRIVER opened his door and got out to block/ticket other rider. Something just doesn't sound right about that.
Also I'm happy for bikes to filter through.. and I like it when they take off from the lights infront of me :yes: (Filtering is only OK if it's a proper bike, not some stupid scooter or pedal powered POS that just gets in the way. That reminds me, if they ticket riders for it, why don't they ticket cyclists because they are much MUCH worse.)

Irontusk
23rd July 2008, 22:51
Ok I'm reading my motorcyclists roadcode, and it says to pass a stopped car on a one lane road at an intersection on the LEFT. Everything is contradicting everything else. You can also pass at a no passing lane if you don't cross the yellow line.

swbarnett
23rd July 2008, 23:20
Ok I'm reading my motorcyclists roadcode, and it says to pass a stopped car on a one lane road at an intersection on the LEFT.
This is just asking for trouble. Don't pass any car with a passenger - "Quick, get out while the lights are red".

You can also pass at a no passing lane if you don't cross the yellow line.
I was told there's no such thing as a "no passing" line. The line is actually a "no crossing" line - pass all you like but keep to the left of the line.

Irontusk
23rd July 2008, 23:55
This is just asking for trouble. Don't pass any car with a passenger - "Quick, get out while the lights are red".

I was told there's no such thing as a "no passing" line. The line is actually a "no crossing" line - pass all you like but keep to the left of the line.

I'm just quoting from the book, to let people know what new riders (that's me :) ) are being told. But yeah, I'm not too keen to pull up on the left eh, alot of people are to lazy to indicate left too, cause they don't expect to be crossing anyone's path.

vtec
24th July 2008, 11:06
(Filtering is only OK if it's a proper bike, not some stupid scooter or pedal powered POS that just gets in the way. That reminds me, if they ticket riders for it, why don't they ticket cyclists because they are much MUCH worse.)

I ought to pedal power your ass. I was a bike courier for two years, and cars held me up heaps even though i was a master splitter. A bicycle is little and easy to pass, a car is big and harder to pass... unles you are on a bike. So get your bloody cars off the road.

Plus a 125 scooter is quicker than the average car. You just try saying this to Texmo... He'll scooterise your ass.

vtec
24th July 2008, 11:11
Ok I'm reading my motorcyclists roadcode, and it says to pass a stopped car on a one lane road at an intersection on the LEFT. Everything is contradicting everything else. You can also pass at a no passing lane if you don't cross the yellow line.

You are allowed to pass a stopped vehicle on whichever side you like. But a moving one only on the right... unless you are in a separate roadway (a different lane is considered a separate roadway). I've been looking at this for years, because I was saving 30mins to an hour every day just on my commute by lane splitting. That gave me a lot more time for my own life.

P.S. Lane splitting probably multiplied my income as a bike courier by 1.5

vtec
24th July 2008, 11:16
I'm just quoting from the book, to let people know what new riders (that's me :) ) are being told. But yeah, I'm not too keen to pull up on the left eh, alot of people are to lazy to indicate left too, cause they don't expect to be crossing anyone's path.

The trick to staying alive in traffic is allow for as many possibilities as you can. Judging all the different possibilities comes with experience unfortunately. My motto was always if in doubt be ready to stop. Make sure you know how fast your vehicle can stop. I could stop my bicycle so quickly. Got so good on the brakes I could balance it on the front wheel down hills. Used to pull endo's/stoppies to freak out pedestrians and vehicles that pulled out in front of me... and that was on my road bike with no suspension and skinny tyres, and simple rim brakes.

This didn't mean that I became immune to crashing. I just got good at avoiding the bad ones. I still crashed my bicycle well about once a month. But that was 9 hours a day 5 days a week in cbd crazyness.

Plus on my motorbikes I've probably clipped over 100 wing mirrors and broken a few aswell. used to hit wingmirrors daily on my bicycle.

If you are worried about the cops busting you... here's how it goes. If they don't like you they give you careless use. If they think you are a cocky bastard they will try to sting you with dangerous driving. They don't need any evidence, they just need to say you were overtaking in a careless or dangerous manner and give a couple of reasons why which may or may not be true, they will bend the truth to not look stupid. I didn't get a ticket in my 2 year stint as a courier, and I did some on a motorbike too. But I got careless use for splitting like a maniac not long before I started.

P.S. It's relatively easy to run from the cops on a bicycle in the CBD if you know it really well. That's part of the reason I never got a ticket. Although I wouldn't try it on with a bike cop. They are capable of following you where cars can't and are pretty quick too. Not only that, they are constantly agitated by the retardedness of the average road user in Auckland and thusly will be willing to vent on anybody who "pushes their buttons" ie. runners on bicycles... it's kind of cheeky.

Swoop
24th July 2008, 12:29
ie. runners on bicycles... it's kind of cheeky.
So... the plod took away your pushbike driving licence then?:rofl:

jrandom
24th July 2008, 13:05
For the first time ever, yesterday, a car driver clipped my wing mirror.

At the Nelson Street offramp from the northwestern motorway, it was. While taking off from the lights.

I was very affronted!

:angry:

I shall never again line up directly behind another filtering bike at the front of an intersection unless I'm positive that he won't fuck about when the lights turn green.

<_<

Rider Of The Blue SV1000, karma will get you one of these days.

I have no doubt that one of your mirrors will be donked by a chortling cager in a most unpleasant fashion when you least expect it.

So there.

vtec
24th July 2008, 16:14
So... the plod took away your pushbike driving licence then?:rofl:

Nope I told you I never got a ticket as a courier. I've always got away. I was clever though didn't put myself in a position where I had to run all that often. Just from what I'd seen with the other bike couriers you don't push your luck with the bike cops.

I don't know what the deal is with licencing. Whether or not they can take your drivers licence off you for a bicycle offence. But I did have a friend who was the nuttiest if not the most talented bike courier in Auckland who used to make runners a sport. They caught up with him three times and I think the worst part was the fact that he got arrested. The fines were only about $200... totally worth the risk.

He'd got away every time... it was just that we are always around town and if they see you again, they will pull you over and because we'll think we haven't done anything wrong we'll stop. Then the drop it on you that you were the guy who ran from them previously. Hasn't happened to me thankfully.

Another guy I knew. Total character started as a bike courier then migrated to a suzuki streetmagic then to vans, now he's a motorvehicle sales rep. Another complete animal though. A cop was pulling over red light runners, and he ran the red, and she got radio'd by another cop, then when he came up on his bike she stepped out in front with her hand out and shouted "stop" at which point he yelled back "NO". And cycled around her and on his merry way. A few days later she recognised him and pulled him over, busted, hilarious.

Irontusk
24th July 2008, 18:54
I ought to pedal power your ass. I was a bike courier for two years, and cars held me up heaps even though i was a master splitter. A bicycle is little and easy to pass, a car is big and harder to pass... unles you are on a bike. So get your bloody cars off the road.

Plus a 125 scooter is quicker than the average car. You just try saying this to Texmo... He'll scooterise your ass.

Most cyclists wobble along at 15km/h. You might be ok with riding past a stopped car quite closely, but I'm not going to attempt to pass that narrowly (As you said, car vs bicycle..). I hope you didn't ride like this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiXfviWVMQI&feature=related
And just because you do something wrong every day, doesn't mean it's alright. I'm assume you just rode off when you broke mirrors.

Oh, and who buys a 125 scooter? :gob:
Wow I'm off topic.

CookMySock
25th July 2008, 08:33
I shall never again line up directly behind another filtering bike at the front of an intersection unless I'm positive that he won't fuck about when the lights turn green.I might have done that if I thought I could get alongside him, but never if I thought I would be second in line.

I stalled while splitting between two trucks once.. nasty fright! I agree - if you cant get away pronto, don't go in.

Steve

vtec
28th July 2008, 11:58
Most cyclists wobble along at 15km/h. You might be ok with riding past a stopped car quite closely, but I'm not going to attempt to pass that narrowly (As you said, car vs bicycle..). I hope you didn't ride like this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiXfviWVMQI&feature=related
And just because you do something wrong every day, doesn't mean it's alright. I'm assume you just rode off when you broke mirrors.

Oh, and who buys a 125 scooter? :gob:
Wow I'm off topic.

Don't worry I didn't ride like that guy... I'm better. Plus Auckland is a lot hillier so we hold onto cars and all sorts. Plus I did it with an oversized pack. I did it for 2 years, you get good at it when you do it all day every day. And you work out how to do it safely. Some people don't have the foresight to be a bike courier, they generally don't last very long and get hurt very quickly and/or bike's broken.

Lots of people buy 125's, my ex-girlfriend bought one after I left. They make the best powered delivery vehicle. The guy who made the most money in the whole company not including contract deliverys was on a 125, he probably averaged about $270 a day before tax. Plus a lot of the 50's, are very quick off the mark and up to 50 kph.

With regard to passing stopped cars closely, there's certain rules you need to follow to not get a door in the face. You need to be aware of if there is anybody in a seat that could open a door on you, so if you can't see in through the back window, then you slow down enough that you can stop... but yes, if the cars are going slow, you're better off riding down the centreline of the road, helps to avoid death by pedestrian/taxi pulling out/door opening.

buzzard
6th August 2008, 09:19
I had an interesting experience on the way home last night with a car driver getting extremely upset that i was filtering. He seemed to be incensed that I was passing illegally. This prompted him to drive like an absoluite idoit at extremely high speeds weaving in and out of the traffic as he tried to catch up with once I had filtered through the traffic waiting at traffic lights (technically parked according to others in this forum). Not only does this piss me off as he seemed to be a complete peasant but I know that he will endanger other riders on the road with his behaviour.

Most car driver seem to be OK but ignorant in their own little worlds, busy texting or talking on their mobiles or just day dreaming out the windows. As long as you ride with the attitude that they are just not going to see you and hence do something completely stupid, then you will be ok. This means expecting them to pull out in front of you or swerve erratically down the motorway.

Now I got my license in the UK about 10 years ago and commuted through central london every day on a bike. In addition I did some IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists) courses and a couple of Bikesafe London courses that are run by the police. In London the cops encourage you to filter, thier rationale is that the safest place for a motorbike is in front of the traffic - Get to the front of the cars at traffic lights and stay in front of them. So after 10 years riding about 40 miles a day every day I had only 1 accident and that was very minor and the other guys fault (his insurance paid out).

So in the UK the cops encourage you do it. In some parts on the US its legal and the Department of Transportation say that its safer than sitting in traffic (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/10/30/MN87097.DTL)

So it interests me that there is nothing concrete that the NZ cops or Land Trasport are willing to put down on paper. Sure the cops have told us that as long as we are riding [I]conservatively[I] then we should be ok. But this is extremely arbitrary and subject to the judgement of the officer at the time.

Its time for the authorities to get this sorted out, surely more people on bikes is better for the traffic problems that Auckland and Wellington have. Making filtering legal would make it clear that bikes are better to commute on and if this could be legalised then the car drivers would have no beef with people filtering.

Anyway thats my rant.

rossw
9th August 2008, 23:30
As I understand it "lane sharing", aka filtering, if not illegal is frowned upon and will cause you to fail a motorcycle licence test. That being said, when the motorway speed drops below 50... On Friday there were cops everywhere on the Southern motorway (most unusual). I passed 3 without them doing anything. It was almost a parking lot anyway so they never would have caught up with me on 4 wheels. I agree, it IS risky. There are in fact so many risks that it resembles driving on suburban streets or great south road for danger. Drivers changing lanes, gaps between lanes get bigger and smaller quickly and then there's the trucks. I don't enter a gap unless I am confident I have a clear path out and I am in a low enough gear. Full attention to the road is necessary (no cellphones or sandwiches). Home to work is just under 20 minutes (at the legal speed limit!) but turns into 40 to 60 minutes if you go with the flow. I would feel stupid waiting in lines of traffic.

swbarnett
10th August 2008, 08:15
I agree, it IS risky.
This is a very subjective observation.

So is walking out your front door.

Done properly lane splitting can be safer than staying with traffic.

Compare lane splitting with the necessity of kayaking in an Arctic storm because if you don't hunt you'll starve. We don't know how safe we really are.

The "safety" focus of today's society is going to be responsible for it's downfall. The amount of effort, expense and resources put in to "safety" is at a level that cannot be sustained indefinitely and only getting worse.

Gubb
10th August 2008, 21:18
On Friday there were cops everywhere on the Southern motorway (most unusual). I passed 3 without them doing anything.

I've filtered up, seen several cop cars (going about 30 in a 100), cut back into traffic, the coppers saw I was waiting behind them, rolled down his window, and waved me through.

Maybe they were bikers too.

DarkLord
11th August 2008, 13:42
I was on SH1 the other day going out towards Hamilton, it was bumper to bumper traffic and I was passing everyone on the left without indicating (yes my bad I probably shouldn't have been doing that) and I passed a cop, I was sure he was going to put his siren on and pull me over but he didn't seem fussed and just let me go through.

vifferman
11th August 2008, 14:33
So in the UK the cops encourage you do it. In some parts on the US its legal and the Department of Transportation say that its safer than sitting in traffic ...
So it interests me that there is nothing concrete that the NZ cops or Land Trasport are willing to put down on paper.
It's probably because of two reasons: firstly, most of our traffic laws are copied from Victoria, for some reason. So, if there's no ruling in Victoria to say it's legal, then there's unlikely to be one here.
Secondly, the bureaucrats aren't going to pass any laws that are pragmatic or make sense to any one affected by them - they're only interested in binding everything up with red tape, and making us all "safe". Of course filtering/lane-splitting just smacks of something that's naughty, so it'll never be sanctioned. It's probably too that there are no bureaucrats that approve of motorcycling anyway.

alanzs
11th August 2008, 21:32
I was told years ago, that lane spliting was allowed due to the fact that sitting with an air cooled engine on a motorcycle would cause it to overheat.
Don't care what the reason is now, I do it, with gusto.

McJim
11th August 2008, 21:38
With a road system as badly designed as Auckland's I would say filtering should be mandatory.

I did it in Auckland for over a year with no ill effects.

I actually went out and bought a bike coz I wanted to filter. I got fed up taking 45 minutes to get to work and an hour to get home.

Swoop
11th August 2008, 21:38
I was told years ago, that lane spliting was allowed due to the fact that sitting with an air cooled engine on a motorcycle would cause it to overheat.
That is quite true and an American rule for freeways.

Teezer
13th August 2008, 14:41
Great thread guys - and saved me having to stick up a post about it and be yawned at.

Down here in ChCh I am always amazed at the number of bikers I see sitting in traffic on Blenheim Road. In the UK I'd just shoot straight to the front and be gone with the green, sod all that sitting behind stinky lorries. It seems that everyone is just polite and doesn't want to push in?! Why the feck are they on bikes then?! Are the Canty rozzers particularly stringent about splitting?

Still beats the M25 commute I used to do in the UK on 2-wheels. 30 miles (48km?) each way of filtering through 4 lanes of mostly solid traffic. I used to love it. Nearly died twice, (once locked up the front in the wet, heading for the armco (centre divider) as a car cut me up but he saw me at the last minute and moved back into his lane as I gracefully slid past him :gob:) but I learnt from those experiences and with forward planning and always having an escape route, it certainly kept the brain ticking over.

Good luck all you Auckland bunch - sounds like with nutters & rozzers, you need it!

MarkH
14th August 2008, 21:01
So, today I get a mate to drive me from Auckland to Mt Maunganui where I buy my new ride - it's been close to 20 years since I was on 2 wheels. I ride back to Auckland and am happily ticking along the Motorway at 105 or so when everyone is slowing. I want to take the Ellerslie off-ramp and the traffic is bumper to bumper moving at 0-10kph with maybe 3kms before Mt Wellington off-ramp. At this rate it is going to take over half an hour to get to my off-ramp!

I had already read this thread and figured I would have to learn to filter through the traffic at some point. So I move to the left of the right most lane/right of the lane beside it - and I start filtering at up to 20km/h faster than the almost stationary cages. 25kph = 5 x 5kph so I get off the motorway in 1/5th the time I would have in my cage. Colour me Fuckin' delighted with my first go at filtering. I did touch a wing mirror with my wing mirror once, by touch I mean touch - no damage to mine and I am sure no damage to theirs either (not that I was about to stop and see).

I am wondering if I should have flicked the headlight to full? Of course I just assumed that I was completely invisible and only pressed forward where the gap was enough to do so. But I did come up behind a Nissan Skyline that noticeably moved over to give me room - :niceone:

Whenever I have been driving my cage and noticed bikes coming up from behind I have always moved to give them room, and I usually did notice because my car is fitted with the non-decorative versions of mirror - they work and are adjusted for optimum visibility of stuff behind me.

gt_phanta
8th September 2008, 01:03
Most cops don't bother as long as you look like you know what you're doing.

In response to lane splitting in the evening traffic, I must say I get a lot more cautious when its dark, because you can't see nearly as well in your rear view mirrors.

I've done some really stupid lane splitting in my past, but by far the scariest was 240kph pillion on my friend's R6 on a freeway in Johannesburg, passing trucks and busses. Fun!

OutForADuck
12th September 2008, 10:59
From experience in a previous life :devil2:

There is NO LAW IN NEW ZEALAND that defines lane splitting or its legality.

What this means is that many other laws come into play, such as passing regulations, indicating, passing within the same lane, crossing solid or yellow lines, inconsiderate/dangerous/reckless driving etc.

All said you can pass within the same lane ON THE RIGHT WITH MORE THAN 3 SECONDS INDICATION IF IT IS SAFE TO DO SO. But if you cross over into the othe lane you will be passing on the left which will get you pinged.

Just ride safely and sensibly and most cops who have not got out of bed on the wrong side will let you go.

FROSTY
14th September 2008, 20:25
Wow this thread is still going strong--since 2005

Just something I'd like to reiterate guys.
WHEN FILTERING - If some "ignorant cager" moves over in front of ya dont get all shitty. If you are doing 20km/H faster than them-or a bit more BY the time theyve looked Back Made sure the space next to em is clear and started moving ovber YOU have moved up about 10 car lenths closer to em.
YOU need to anticipate them -and Im sorry guys but if a cop gets involved he will blame you every time

Irontusk
15th September 2008, 23:17
Ok, so I filtered today, and 2 out of the 3 times I moved back into the traffic (where there was a gap in the very slowly crawling queue) when the traffic stopped again the car behind me squeezed up the left of me to get up to the bumper of the car infront.
Are SO many car drivers like that? Before I bought a bike I always thought 'good on ya! I wish I could do that!' when a bike filtered past me, and I always made room for them too. (It's not often that there is actually room left of the white line too, people like to drive ON the line don't they..)

Ducky848
22nd September 2008, 22:28
The poor clutch on my old 996 would'nt cope with more than 10mins stop-start bullshit so lane splitting was mandatory. But even after 15yrs riding in Christchurch traffic I still get nervous when I pass a cop while splitting, even though I've never had so much as a second glance....at least seeing him there reminds me to keep the front down when the light turns green :innocent:

I get a lot of people closing the gap when they see (or hear) you coming, it gets a bit like a Indiana Jones moment and the only solution is to power up (ok, the other is to stop, but I feel like a dick stuck in the middle) and shoot the gap before its gone...clipped my 848's mirror last week in one of those situations :doh:

Oh yeah, just a few days ago I filtered to the front on Main North Road during evening traffic and some chick in the cage already there sat on the horn till the light changed, pissed she lost pole position I guess...

CookMySock
23rd September 2008, 08:01
when the traffic stopped again the car behind me squeezed up the left of me to get up to the bumper of the car infront.Stay in the centre of your lane so they cannot do this. It's called lane stealing.

Yep, splitting seems to piss cagers off. Bummer. Get a bike.

I split to the front of a maaaaasive line of traffic a few weeks ago, and then fatt off on the green light.. acres of space behind me while all the bumbling cages get their shit together and I cruise off unimpeded.. :first: THEN I see disco lights way back there in my mirrors!! OH FUCK here we go...! Speed check, 75k all good. Act normal! Ride smooth. Uhh, disco lights vanish WTF? Someone else musta done something stupid back there coz he wasnt after me. Whew! My guess is I was the final piss-off (what! again?) for someone before they did something really stupid and got busted for it. :clap::dodge:

Steve

Irontusk
23rd September 2008, 19:12
Stay in the centre of your lane so they cannot do this. It's called lane stealing.

Even if I was right in the middle they would've tried it, in most places that road has enough room by the curb for cars to park without being in the way of traffic. So if there wasn't enough room for them to try fit on the inside, they would've just come up the right of me. Havn't really had the need to filter since :)

PHATVW
20th October 2008, 19:38
Everyday before and after work, I'll hit rush hour traffic, so when I'm driving the car, it'll take me around an hour to drive. Whereas on a bike, it takes around 15 minutes by filtering through the traffic, pretty much why I wanted to start biking in the first place (plus cheap petrol etc).

Most people/cops that I pass are usually good at giving space to bikers :2thumbsup, but I have encountered ones who will drive on the white line just to block you (perhaps jealousy is setting in?), but then you just go around the other side and give them a friendly wave as they watch :lol:

Mind you in Auckland, not only cars get crazy, I've seen bikers who get road rage and tailgate cars :calm: REMEMBER YOU HAVE NO AIRBAG TO PROTECT IF YOU DECIDE TO KISS THE BUMPER!

Enjoy the sun and ride safe! :woohoo:

samgab
28th November 2008, 08:15
I don't know if the LTSA link to this matter has been posted yet:
http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/roadcode/about-driving/passing.html

So it says in part:

Passing on the left

You can only pass on the left when:

* there are two or more lanes on your side of the centre line and you are able to pass safely by using the left-hand lane
* you are directed to by a police officer
* the vehicle you are passing:
o has stopped, or
o is signalling a right turn, or
o is turning right.

At all other times, when you are passing, you must pass on the right.

So this means that if the cars in front of you are stopped; be it for the lights or traffic jams, or for whatever reason, you are allowed to pass them on the left or the right, if there is room and if it is safe to do so.
Also, if the car in front is still moving but is indicating right, or is slowing down to turn right but has failed to indicate you can pass them on the LEFT.

So this covers passing all the other cars that are stopped at a red light. As long as there's a gap, it's legal to pass them all and go to the front of the queue, because they're stopped.
Technically, it doesn't cover motorway splitting unless the motorway traffic has come to a complete stop, or unless you're in the same lane as the vehicle on your left. If you cross the cat-eyes to enter the lane with the vehicle on your right, then again technically, you are breaking the law.

And yes, I work for the Police, but I'm a non-sworn member. So I have no authority to issue tickets or get you off your tickets, sorry. But I know that a lot of the cops I've met are bikers themselves, and biker-friendly.

PHATVW
28th November 2008, 10:20
Oh I see, thanks for that samgab!

Another dumb question though, what if on the motorway, the traffic has stopped completely, are we allowed to ride on the far left hand side of the motorway? ie. not really a lane, more like the road where people stop when broken down.

The reason I ask this is because my bike is aircooled and lane splitting during summer in rush hour traffic, the engine gets really hot and could overheat and cut out.

Btw I used to have a FXR as well! Definitely a cool bike :woohoo:

bsasuper
28th November 2008, 16:26
Ive used the emergency lane which you are talking about and got a ticket, misuse of emergency lane.

samgab
28th November 2008, 17:03
Ive used the emergency lane which you are talking about and got a ticket, misuse of emergency lane.

Yes, unfortunately this is true. The shoulder is only for breakdowns/emergencies. If you are caught using this lane you will get ticketed.

But yeah, I'm really enjoying the FXR! And I've started seeing them around on the road. Saw one on my way home from work this morning. Isn't it weird how that happens: you buy a vehicle, and suddenly start to notice them all over the place...

samgab
28th November 2008, 17:25
Oh, and several times after passing all the cars stopped at a red light on my scooter to go to the front of the queue, and moving in front of the front car, it would beep it's horn at me. This happened quite a few times. Now, on the scooter I'm leaving the lights and getting up to 50ks faster than the cars, so I don't understand what their problem is, exactly. It's like they think they're at the drivethrough and I've pushed in front of them and will get the order sooner or something.
I never get dangerously close to any of the cars, and NEVER touch them. If the gap is too small, I don't go through.

Slyer
28th November 2008, 17:30
Scooter? <tenchar>

samgab
28th November 2008, 17:33
Scooter? <tenchar>

Who me? Yeah. I'm talking about normal roads, not the motorway. I have a scooter too, which I used to ride all the time before I got the bike.

Slyer
28th November 2008, 17:40
No you said scooter not bike. :bleh:

samgab
28th November 2008, 18:03
No you said scooter not bike. :bleh:

Ha, yeah: The anecdote I was talking about happened a lot when I was riding the scooter. I haven't ridden the bike enough yet to do much sneaking past cars at the lights. (And traffic has been minimal whilst I've been riding it, so the queues have been very short and in those situations I just sit in the queue with the rest of the traffic. I only resort to sneaking past everyone when the queues are long.)

Mikkel
28th November 2008, 23:27
Annoyingly the height of the wingmirror on your average cage matches the level of the handlebars on a sportsbike.
A motard is nice - handlebars are well clear of these and 4WDs and vans tend to have them higher than the level of you handlebars. The issue then becomes MPVs... Oh well, I guess you can't win every time.

Dunno how naughty it is - but left and right turning lanes (and bicycle lanes and sidewalks... naughty naughty I know) can be very effective in getting you to the front of that queue at the lights very quickly and effortlessly. At least compared to having to weave through a jumbled mess of people not knowing what lane they actually wanna be in.

CookMySock
29th November 2008, 06:01
[...] moving in front of the front car, it would beep it's horn at me. [....] It's like they think they're at the drivethrough and I've pushed in front of them and will get the order sooner or something.haha, I think you hit the nail on the head there. Thats one of the best things about biking I reckon - toasting the traffic - stationary or moving they are real gone, real quick. Love it. :shifty:

Oh yeah, and the next best thing about biking, watching cagers fume as I do it, LOL. Seriously though, biking has made me a much more patient cager. In the car I will happily sit and wait rather than pushing through - I'm not on the bike and I'll wait my turn.

Steve

gatch
11th December 2008, 22:35
im a big fan of splitting, i do it all the time in the city, get a few people frowning/boyracers frothing at the mouth, most of the time tho people just accept it, chances are ill be gone before they even know the lights have changed, usually pretty safe it you keep your eyes open and dont take chances, (altho a few days ago i did exactly that and had an incident because of it.. do'h) first time in traffic, hopefully the last

samgab
11th December 2008, 23:06
Did my first bout of real motorway filtering on Wednesday; 5pm, and all the way from the CBD to Massey. I wasn't sure if I would or not, but traffic was creeping along, and a dude on a bike ripped past me, so I thought what the heck... It's kinda fun when you get the hang of it :) And most motorists were very courteous, moving out of the way to give extra space and whatnot. I even passed a paddy wagon. So I'll definitely do that any time I need to use the motorway during rush hours.

Slyer
12th December 2008, 00:07
Oh yep I wasn't going to start doing it for a while but it was just so tempting!
Completely gridlocked traffic so I had a shot... was easy.

Snails pace
12th December 2008, 20:00
Oh yep I wasn't going to start doing it for a while but it was just so tempting!
Completely gridlocked traffic so I had a shot... was easy.

If you are like me, just take it easy. Am no expert by a long shot, but I have been riding rush hour occasionally up the southern and on up to Warkworth. Today on the way up things were sweet and flowed nicely. On the way back home tonight I pushed the envelope a tad and the gap closed and a gentle scrap of the right handle bar weight reminded me to just look before I leap. No damage to either the bike or 5 tonne truck deck. But those gaps that aren't really gaps can close darn quick.:Oops:

Pascal
22nd December 2008, 07:58
Oh yeah, just a few days ago I filtered to the front on Main North Road during evening traffic and some chick in the cage already there sat on the horn till the light changed, pissed she lost pole position I guess...

I don't understand that, honestly. Had it happen to me as well on Saturday as I filtered through a queue of cars to sit on the green bicycle bay at the front of the traffic lights. (It crosses the road inbetween the car bay and the pedestrian crossing)

And for some strange reason one of the motorists got all pissy and started honking his horn constantly. I did not touch anything on my way through, wasn't doing anything illegal and on a motorcycle you're gone before they've even managed to put the latte down or put the car into gear.

Weird man, totally weird.

MarkH
22nd December 2008, 10:14
I don't understand that, honestly. Had it happen to me as well on Saturday as I filtered through a queue of cars to sit on the green bicycle bay at the front of the traffic lights. (It crosses the road inbetween the car bay and the pedestrian crossing)

And for some strange reason one of the motorists got all pissy and started honking his horn constantly. I did not touch anything on my way through, wasn't doing anything illegal and on a motorcycle you're gone before they've even managed to put the latte down or put the car into gear.

Some people are just weird, some people are fuckin' stupid, some people are just the slightest provocation from being angry. Why do you think road rage incidents happen?

A couple of years back I was almost in a road rage incident. I was driving the cage and stopped at a set of lights with 2 right turning lanes, I was in the left of those 2. The lights went green and I turned right, there was a car to my right who was along side of me through the turn and along the straight. Then he almost drove into me when I am along side and slightly ahead of him, he realised I was there at the last second and swerved back into his lane. He then followed me and when I had to stop at another set of lights he got out of his car, came up to my car and started to abuse me verbally. He said "didn't you see my indicator?", I told him that I couldn't as I was along side him at the time.

I believe that the guy got a fright when he almost drove into me and that got his adrenaline going, he most likely hadn't realised that I had been beside him from the right turn onwards and thought I had come up and was passing him on the left while he was indicating to change lanes - from his point of view he was doing every thing right and I had no business being there in his blind spot. He will probably cause an accident one day (maybe he already has).

R-Soul
20th October 2009, 14:52
My understanding is the right to use the bus lanes on a motorcycle is a decision made by that city's council. The motorways are land transport and they don't allow motorcycles to use their bus lanes.

Yes, because God forbid that they would want to make life safer for us and reduce ACC payouts...

An arbitrary decision made by some arbitrary thoughtless beaurocrat with no idea of biking or traffic. :argh:

R-Soul
20th October 2009, 15:01
Split to the right of the car in the same lane at a reasonable speed and it should all be good. If you swap lanes, try to indicate at least.
Someone I don't know did a vid yesterday on the way to te job and the problem is you can clearly see traffic in the right hand lane moving over to make room, whereas left laners move to the right (center). Cagers drive on the right hand side they are more comfortable moving over to the right. Spatial perception or some such naff.
Puts us in a bit of a quandary eh?
Its "illegal" to filter past moving traffic on the left, but the only room available is in that lane on the left. We know it, most cagers know it, but the law doesn't.

The biggest and most obvious thing to watch out for is a large gap between cars. Cages dont move quickly into places where there is no gap. If there is no gap, they have to first indicate and plead with other cages first - so you can see them. If there is a big gap, they can make a quick lurch into it.

:buggerd:

R-Soul
20th October 2009, 16:00
Most cops don't bother as long as you look like you know what you're doing.

In response to lane splitting in the evening traffic, I must say I get a lot more cautious when its dark, because you can't see nearly as well in your rear view mirrors.

I've done some really stupid lane splitting in my past, but by far the scariest was 240kph pillion on my friend's R6 on a freeway in Johannesburg, passing trucks and busses. Fun!

Was it on the main N1 through Joburg? Was that you? Two Ninjas on a sunday morning? Weaving through traffice at ridiculous speeds?

I have another question: The onramp from Onewa road going into the city is part bus lane and part car lane, merging as it joins the motorway.

Now I know that we are not supposed to be using buslanes on the motorway, but until it joins the motorway, its still the local municipality jurisdiction, so we can use it right? Thats my logic anyway...

Actually, another question: The Shelley Road turnoff south of the Harbour bridge becomes a bus lane. immediately after teh turnoff, an overhead sign says itsa bus lane. But then the road goeas around teh corner and the road markings indicate a merging of lanes before it is very clearly marked as a bus lane on the road. So which is it?

I have seen Mr Plod sitting right where the lanes merge (i.e. around the corner) waiting for people to come around the corner, and pulling people off (not sure what for). But to be fair, if the markings are ambiguious, they should have no right to ticket anyone.

R-Soul
20th October 2009, 16:15

I had one bloke try and race me from the line (I did not realise he was even doing so, until he screeched to a halt at the next traffic queue 50m down the road). This was after I split to the front of a queue. He then tried to move as far as he could to my side to block me off. Luckily the car in the lane next to me had left lots of room.

I always drive to leave the smallest traffic "footprint" on teh cars around me -I figure if I dont disrupt their drive, they will appreciate that I am taking the accident protection and weather risk, and reducing congestion, and they then would not mind me making my way through the traffic at a faster rate than cages. But this guy was just a resentful prick in a blue Honda Acccord. He is the reason biker gloves have hardened knuckles - to smash side view mirror off!

PS Scooters are not doing bikers any favours by going to the front of queues and then dawdling off the line - not a small traffic footprint. Its also not particularly safe for them.

R-Soul
20th October 2009, 16:19
The biggest and most obvious thing to watch out for is a large gap between cars. Cages dont move quickly into places where there is no gap. If there is no gap, they have to first indicate and plead with other cages first - so you can see them. If there is a big gap, they can make a quick lurch into it.

:buggerd:

And if you can find a loud bike to follow, this helps a lot. Its not like my mistress is quiet or anything, but if I hear a ear splitting cruiser coming up behind me, I always let them through as cars hear them quicker, and tend to make way. The quicker I can get a decent set of aftermarket 'zorsts, the better....

MarkH
20th October 2009, 21:35
PS Scooters are not doing bikers any favours by going to the front of queues and then dawdling off the line - not a small traffic footprint. Its also not particularly safe for them.

Unless they are bigger ones that easily pull away from most cars at the lights - on my four hundy I have no problem with pulling away from the cars. But yeah, the 50cc mopeds are going to piss of car drivers if they filter to the front and then struggle to reach 40kph.

Tunahunter
21st October 2009, 12:13
I've noticed this too - twice yesterday morning - I think it might be push-back by car owners who feel they are subsidising us

Azi Dahaka
21st October 2009, 15:20
I have to admit whenever i can i lane split and 9/10 i always only travel between 20 and 30 kms/hr above the other cars and that odd 1/10 time i like to travel faster for the thrill and adrenlin rush though i ride a boulevard c50t so it aint that easy but i always watch out.

what realy shocked me once is when i was going over the rimutakas and two sods on small sports bikes wizzed past me and i cannot go that fast arround corners as my bike is too low to the ground overtaking cars around blind corners on the hill.

i mean i ride fast but not dangerious like that. and by the time i got to the bottom of the hill i over took them on the straight so it is not like they saved any time.

jetboy
22nd October 2009, 15:43
Had it happen to me as well on Saturday as I filtered through a queue of cars to sit on the green bicycle bay at the front of the traffic lights....

And for some strange reason one of the motorists got all pissy and started honking his horn constantly...

Well that explains it! I split to the front of a relatively large traffic queue up the road from work the other day, parked in the green bike bay up front and the car behind me kept beeping periodically. It wasnt someone I knew, so I thought it might have been a problem with the bike but after checking it out there was nothing wrong, so put it down to some random act.

But he was probably annoyed at me jumping the queue as it would have taken him about 3 phases to get to where he was!

On another note...has anyone actually hit a car while splitting?

Azi Dahaka
23rd October 2009, 10:31
never while splitting on the motorway but when i first started riding i took out someones wing mirror at the lights once. i did no damage merely pushed is out of the way they didnt seem to care.

ac3_snow
4th December 2009, 00:44
AMEN!!!
:spanking:

rphenix
9th December 2009, 13:31
The onramp from Onewa road going into the city is part bus lane and part car lane, merging as it joins the motorway.

Now I know that we are not supposed to be using buslanes on the motorway, but until it joins the motorway, its still the local municipality jurisdiction, so we can use it right? Thats my logic anyway...

I also use the onewa bus lane, particularly when its crawling along the overpass. Always been a bit dubious about the legality of it though so when mr :Police: is stuck in traffic I tend to stay in the regular lane till I see other bikes go past :)

GOONR
9th December 2009, 21:01
I also use the onewa bus lane, particularly when its crawling along the overpass. Always been a bit dubious about the legality of it though so when mr :Police: is stuck in traffic I tend to stay in the regular lane till I see other bikes go past :)

Same, if traffic is moving slow then I'll use the bus lane on the overpass but try to be back in the regular lane before the on ramp merges with the motorway.

Plod seem to hang around at that layby thingy on the left.

R-Soul
11th December 2009, 12:30
Same, if traffic is moving slow then I'll use the bus lane on the overpass but try to be back in the regular lane before the on ramp merges with the motorway.

Plod seem to hang around at that layby thingy on the left.
I s'pose that whether you are in the bus lane or claim to be "splitting" between teh bus lane and the normal lane it has the same effect...

I turned left onto onewa rd from onepoto domain road today, and a cop car put its lights and siren on behind me. I was flying atteh time, and only reaslised that it was following behind me by the time that I got to teh motorway. I joined the motorway and waited to see if he was after me (I had gone down busway).

But he went past off to some other event.
PHEW!

Also, on the onepotoo domain rd I normally filter past the big tails they have. But one day as I arrived at teh tail, I saw a bike in the car lane. I wondered why (as we all filter normally) and then saw MrPlod a cuple of cars agead of him. I pulled in next to him asap.

But then I figured that if I was going to have to follow teh tail, then I would rather U-turn and go filter somehwere else. So I thought I would get it in teh open, so pulled up next to the cop car and asked Mr Plod if he was Ok with me filtering through. I he said no, I was gonna U-turn.

He said "Well you are not really supposed to, but I suposse its OK - just be safe". I was outta there, and when I stopped at the traffic lights infront, the other bike was just behind. :chase:

I guess that kinda sums things up - they start getting uppitty when you do dumb unsafe things - as they haveto clean up and it makes paperwork for them I s'pose.

MarkH
11th December 2009, 12:53
So I thought I would get it in teh open, so pulled up next to the cop car and asked Mr Plod if he was Ok with me filtering through.

I generally just filter past the plod - what is he going to do, he is stuck in traffic. But twice I have gone to head onto the motorway on the northbound Ellerslie onramp and spotted a police car. I didn't really want to filter to the front and then go at the same time as 2 cars with the plod watching - it is a traffic light controlled thing with a sign saying "one car from each lane per green" and I am not too sure what the police would make of my idea of a vehicle from the left lane, a vehicle from the right lane and a bike from the lanesplitting lane.

Whether the particular officer would feel inclined to do anything about it I really don't know, but both times I decided not to risk it.

swbarnett
12th December 2009, 20:31
"one car from each lane per green"
Doesn't say anything about bikes (or trucks for that matter). Do what you like.

I got through two of these stupid things every day. I have never stopped for the light (bike or car) and have no intention of ever doing so (cop or no cop).

CookMySock
24th December 2009, 15:02
um, watch out splitting at open road speeds (70-90km/hr.) I was left to ponder what might have become, today.

Here's me slipping down the centreline on a two-way, two-lane road, about 90k (15-20k faster than the line of traffic), and I spot a biker at the very last second in between the cars in the opposing direction. Like, I was right next to him as he was almost completely concealed by the car he was following.

What was unusual about this biker, is he had good dose of lean-angle on to the left. My guess is, he had swung the bike hard at the centreline to basically do what I was doing, and spotted me and hurriedly initated the opposite. The consequences of this, of course are enormous. Massive explosion of steel and plastic getting trampled by a fleet of ten or more cars does not bear thinking about.

Suggest if you are going to split at open-road speeds;

Expect a biker coming the other way to be doing the same
Don't commit hard to the manoevre
Be bloody ready to get back in
Expect bikers to come out of nowhere
Don't come out of nowhere! :Playnice:

Take it easy out there.

Steve

dmoo1790
12th February 2010, 21:30
One thing about using the shoulder. I did this for a few years in Melbourne and ended up with 6 punctures. Nails and other rubbish get swept onto the shoulder so it's pretty hard on tyres.

BMWST?
12th February 2010, 22:07
um, watch out splitting at open road speeds (70-90km/hr.) I was left to ponder what might have become, today.

Here's me slipping down the centreline on a two-way, two-lane road, about 90k (15-20k faster than the line of traffic), and I spot a biker at the very last second in between the cars in the opposing direction. Like, I was right next to him as he was almost completely concealed by the car he was following.

What was unusual about this biker, is he had good dose of lean-angle on to the left. My guess is, he had swung the bike hard at the centreline to basically do what I was doing, and spotted me and hurriedly initated the opposite. The consequences of this, of course are enormous. Massive explosion of steel and plastic getting trampled by a fleet of ten or more cars does not bear thinking about.

Suggest if you are going to split at open-road speeds;

Expect a biker coming the other way to be doing the same
Don't commit hard to the manoevre
Be bloody ready to get back in
Expect bikers to come out of nowhere
Don't come out of nowhere! :Playnice:

Take it easy out there.

Steve

thats is why you should not split on a two way road.A motorbike is not the only thing concealed by the other traffic.

CookMySock
13th February 2010, 07:20
thats is why you should not split on a two way road.A motorbike is not the only thing concealed by the other traffic.Perhaps. I approach the split tentatively, and examine everything I can see. I consider it to be a "safe" passing manoeuvre.

Initiating a brutal swerve into a shared-direction "lane" without checking it first isn't a safe passing manoeuvre. We are even entitled to share an opposite-direction passing lane if it is unused, but that doesn't mean entering it blindly at all costs, even it's going your way.

Steve

BMWST?
13th February 2010, 14:55
Perhaps. I approach the split tentatively, and examine everything I can see. I consider it to be a "safe" passing manoeuvre.

Initiating a brutal swerve into a shared-direction "lane" without checking it first isn't a safe passing manoeuvre. We are even entitled to share an opposite-direction passing lane if it is unused, but that doesn't mean entering it blindly at all costs, even it's going your way.

Steve
the "shared passing lane is one thing but spliiting on a twp way road is something else entirely IN MY OPINION

CookMySock
13th February 2010, 15:05
the "shared passing lane is one thing but spliiting on a twp way road is something else entirely IN MY OPINIONWhat do other people think of this?

I feel comfortable using the white line regardless of traffic direction. Perhaps if both lanes were going in the opposite direction it might get weird. :killingme

Steve

BMWST?
13th February 2010, 15:34

Here's me slipping down the centreline on a two-way, two-lane road,

Steve

What do other people think of this?

Perhaps if both lanes were going in the opposite direction it might get weird. :killingme

Steve

arent you talking about a two lane only road with opposing traffic in the original examplee??

CookMySock
13th February 2010, 15:41
arent you talking about a two lane only road with opposing traffic in the original examplee??Yes. Sorry for the confusing narrative.

Steve

Berries
13th February 2010, 22:36
What do other people think of this?

Isn't this just overtaking in to oncoming traffic as opposed to lane splitting ? Opens up a whole new realm of possiblities when traffic isn't going in the same direction, which is what lane splitting means to me.

CookMySock
13th February 2010, 22:51
Isn't this just overtaking in to oncoming traffic as opposed to lane splitting ? Opens up a whole new realm of possiblities when traffic isn't going in the same direction, which is what lane splitting means to me.Yes it is overtaking into the oncoming traffic. I just growl crackle up behind them and cars move over for me. Theres loads of room. I stay in the left lane. I've never had a problem with it.

If they stay glued to the centerline, then I wait.

Steve

FROSTY
14th February 2010, 10:16
Just to be clear the origonal post was specificly talking about Motorway traffic or similar. Splitting lanes with oncoming traffic to me is like playing russian rulette--eventually you will get hit. You arent talking about adjusting to a 5-25 km./h speed difference you are dEALING WITH UP TO A 200KM/H SPEED DIFFFERENCE

R-Soul
15th February 2010, 08:37
Just to be clear the origonal post was specificly talking about Motorway traffic or similar. Splitting lanes with oncoming traffic to me is like playing russian rulette--eventually you will get hit. You arent talking about adjusting to a 5-25 km./h speed difference you are dEALING WITH UP TO A 200KM/H SPEED DIFFFERENCE

I agree
Massive differences in speed and potential damage. Also a huge additional number of factors that could happen, including:

- opposing car moving onto the white line to trurn right (he would be trying to get out of the way of cars behind him, but making life REAAL scary for you coming the other way). Speed difference up to 130km/hr
-opposing car moving onto white line to pass a car in his lane turning left. speed difference up to 220kkm/hr

These two scenarios happen frequently and are not "exceptions" to look out for. Looking at the risk management aspect of it (i.e. probability of it happening in percentage i.e. about 20% X by the effective result scaled from 1 to 10 - which is pretty much death for a rating of 1), you get 0.1x1 = 0.2 (or about 20% chance of death). That is significantly higher than I am prepared to go. And damn close to russian roulette.

Looking at lane splitting in two lanes going the same way:

Chance of car pulling out is quite high- maybe 30%, but the effect is lower - as the relative speeds are lower. And the rsik of a car pulling out is reduced by cautious riding between the lanes. The lower the relative speeds, the less chance of a car pulling out in front of you that you can't brake for. Whereas you would find it pretty much impossible to brake for a car pulling onto the white line going the other way.
So the weighting is about .3 for effect/resultant damge (by my thumbs suck).

Of course you also have the chance of being run over by following cars, but -I hope - this is low. So by my reckoning total weighting is .2x.3= .06

Thats about a quarter the risk of the first example. Still not great, I admit. But nobody said that lane splitting was safe.

Now I have chucked my figures into the pot, I expect a massive debate on them...

BMWST?
15th February 2010, 09:03
I agree
Massive differences in speed and potential damage. Also a huge additional number of factors that could happen, including:

- opposing car moving onto the white line to trurn right (he would be trying to get out of the way of cars behind him, but making life REAAL scary for you coming the other way). Speed difference up to 130km/hr
-opposing car moving onto white line to pass a car in his lane turning left. speed difference up to 220kkm/hr

These two scenarios happen frequently and are not "exceptions" to look out for. Looking at the risk management aspect of it (i.e. probability of it happening in percentage i.e. about 20% X by the effective result scaled from 1 to 10 - which is pretty much death for a rating of 1), you get 0.1x1 = 0.2 (or about 20% chance of death). That is significantly higher than I am prepared to go. And damn close to russian roulette.

Looking at lane splitting in two lanes going the same way:

Chance of car pulling out is quite high- maybe 30%, but the effect is lower - as the relative speeds are lower. And the rsik of a car pulling out is reduced by cautious riding between the lanes. The lower the relative speeds, the less chance of a car pulling out in front of you that you can't brake for. Whereas you would find it pretty much impossible to brake for a car pulling onto the white line going the other way.
So the weighting is about .3 for effect/resultant damge (by my thumbs suck).

Of course you also have the chance of being run over by following cars, but -I hope - this is low. So by my reckoning total weighting is .2x.3= .06

Thats about a quarter the risk of the first example. Still not great, I admit. But nobody said that lane splitting was safe.

Now I have chucked my figures into the pot, I expect a massive debate on them...

i disagree witrhthe risk of lane splitting error with traffic going the same way.If you or the car misjudge and you touch i would say you are likely to go down and almost certainly run over by either one of the cars behind you....or even the ones beside you

R-Soul
15th February 2010, 09:14
i disagree witrhthe risk of lane splitting error with traffic going the same way.If you or the car misjudge and you touch i would say you are likely to go down and almost certainly run over by either one of the cars behind you....or even the ones beside you

I agree it could happen. But because of teh relative speeds being less, there is larger chance of evasive action by a car having some effect. i.e. they have more chance to swerve/brake.

You also have more chance to swerve or brake before you hit another car.

Having said that, the other day I was lane splitting and as I was just behind the line of a car's boot, they put their indicator on, and started moving across. Whereas 9 times out of 10, the bike would be able to see it and brake/accelerate to get out of trouble, this was different. The timing of it was perfect (ly bad), and did not leave me with much option. I started braking hard, and may have made it, but not sure. It was all at innocuous speeds, and seemed to be in slow motion. But the physics of it left me with no options but to rely on the car driver (scary scenario).
Luckily she looked over her shoulder and saw me, and stayed in her lane. It can and will happen. That is why you need to be especially diligent when a gap opens up in the lane alongside. Only pass cars when there are no gaps.

Bald Eagle
15th February 2010, 11:26

With opposing traffic it ain't splitting it's insanity.

FROSTY
15th February 2010, 11:40
ONLY time I'd ndo it is gridlock both ways.

Ratti
15th February 2010, 12:14
Handy to be able to move up to the front of a que when waiting at lights. Maybe in VERY slow moving traffic I'd consider it. Too risky otherwise, I dont have the balls for it...actually I dont have balls at all

PrincessBandit
15th February 2010, 14:02
Handy to be able to move up to the front of a que when waiting at lights. Maybe in VERY slow moving traffic I'd consider it. Too risky otherwise, I dont have the balls for it...actually I dont have balls at all

you and me both honey!
I only split when the gap is one that will 99.9% guarantee me a nick-free (or is that knock-free) tootle through. I see plenty of bikes splitting through as I patiently stay in my lane - you see lotsa cute rear views! (then just have to make sure you don't stare at them to the point you run up the jacksy of the car in front eeeek)

Brownbikerbabe
15th February 2010, 14:03
This is one thing that is rarely done where I live. I have never seen it done here, but I have seen it in Europe and U.S.A and it is quite a normal thing, the cagers in those countries are aware to watch for motorcycles who are land splitting.

CookMySock
15th February 2010, 15:10
Interesting to hear folks feelings on this.

Yes I concede turning traffic is a risk, particularly so when their movements are rash and unannounced. Mind you, any rash and unannounced movements on the road are tantamount to dangerous driving, particularly in a group of swiftly moving vehicles.

For anyones' use, I made myself a few rules when lane sharing into oncoming traffic ;

Know the traffic. If you don't like the way they are behaving - don't pass.

Don't make gaps. If there's no gap, don' try and force one. Let them pull over for you, then go. Thank them with a wave.

Don't pass where they can pass. If they can pass, quite likely they will, so don't chance it.

Keep your speed differential down. Self explanatory.

No hard braking. The centreline has gravel all over it. Don't brake hard on it or pay the price.

Always remember, theres loads more room on the centreline that you think, so don't panic and bash the brakes.

Be careful out there.

Steve

swbarnett
15th February 2010, 15:17
But the physics of it left me with no options but to rely on the car driver (scary scenario).
You could go around the front.

I've been in the exact scenario that you describe except that the car driver did not see me. I rolled on the power while falling in to an extreme right lean. If I'd stayed this way I would've low-sided in under the car so I flipped to a left lean and scraped past the front of the car. The right corner of the front bumber folded up my foot peg and left a scratch in my left muffler.

swbarnett
15th February 2010, 15:21
land splitting.
Do you tow a plough with your bike?

swbarnett
15th February 2010, 15:24
No hard braking. The centreline has gravel all over it.
Not to mention long stretches of white (or yellow) paint.

MarkH
15th February 2010, 18:16
I
Having said that, the other day I was lane splitting and as I was just behind the line of a car's boot, they put their indicator on, and started moving across. Whereas 9 times out of 10, the bike would be able to see it and brake/accelerate to get out of trouble, this was different. The timing of it was perfect (ly bad), and did not leave me with much option. I started braking hard, and may have made it, but not sure. It was all at innocuous speeds, and seemed to be in slow motion. But the physics of it left me with no options but to rely on the car driver (scary scenario).
Luckily she looked over her shoulder and saw me, and stayed in her lane.

If you had been really lucky it would have been one of those very rare drivers that indicates at least 3 seconds before changing lanes - then you would have had plenty of time.

Ladydragon
3rd March 2010, 15:47
I saw something happen at the lights that i've never seen before the traffic was thick right up to the lights so this person on a motor bike decided not to wait till the lights turned green he just drove up on the foot path was quite a way to the lights I thought to myself not setting a good example for learners and very dangerous for pedistrians and ilegal

R-Soul
3rd March 2010, 15:59
I saw something happen at the lights that i've never seen before the traffic was thick right up to the lights so this person on a motor bike decided not to wait till the lights turned green he just drove up on the foot path was quite a way to the lights I thought to myself not setting a good example for learners and very dangerous for pedistrians and ilegal

Yeah thats pretty shocking. And dangerous.

R-Soul
3rd March 2010, 16:00
If you had been really lucky it would have been one of those very rare drivers that indicates at least 3 seconds before changing lanes - then you would have had plenty of time.

Do those exist?

GOONR
3rd March 2010, 16:02

I used to see MC couriers in London do that on a very regular basis, hooting at pedestrians as they went.

R-Soul
3rd March 2010, 16:02
You could go around the front.

I've been in the exact scenario that you describe except that the car driver did not see me. I rolled on the power while falling in to an extreme right lean. If I'd stayed this way I would've low-sided in under the car so I flipped to a left lean and scraped past the front of the car. The right corner of the front bumber folded up my foot peg and left a scratch in my left muffler.

Yeeeaaah - I would not have doen that myself - firstly because there was no space, and secondly because I would rather be behind a car with no space than in front of it....

swbarnett
3rd March 2010, 16:07
Yeeeaaah - I would not have doen that myself - firstly because there was no space, and secondly because I would rather be behind a car with no space than in front of it....
Didn't have much choice. I was so close when they pulled out (didn't see the indicator) that there was no way I could stop in time and there was absolutely no room to go behind. Luckily for me there was no opossing traffic.

R-Soul
3rd March 2010, 16:11
Didn't have much choice. I was so close when they pulled out (didn't see the indicator) that there was no way I could stop in time and there was absolutely no room to go behind. Luckily for me there was no opossing traffic.

Oh OK so you had the lane of opposing traffic next to you?

I was in between two lanes of traffic moving the same direction, and the woman wanted to ull into quite a little gap between two cars in the left hand lane. There really was nowhere for me to go. I could not swerve left as I had a car there in line with my wheel. Maybe I could have pulled into the gap, but it would have been reeeeeal close! Now I always try and look for people looking over their shoulder, or cars that start edgeing towards the way they are going to pull out, and I keep an extra beady eye on them.

But it sounds like your seat must have had bite marks on it when you pulled up after that? I know mine did...

R-Soul
3rd March 2010, 16:19
I used to see MC couriers in London do that on a very regular basis, hooting at pedestrians as they went.

That goes past dangerous and into funny...

swbarnett
3rd March 2010, 16:20
Oh OK so you had the lane of opposing traffic next to you?
Yes, this was through the middle of the Mt. Eden shops.

I was in between two lanes of traffic moving the same direction,
Yeah, if this had been the case I'd have been screwed.

But it sounds like your seat must have had bite marks on it when you pulled up after that? I know mine did...
Indeed. Took a while to sink in that I'd actually gotten away unharmed.

MarkH
3rd March 2010, 17:44
The right corner of the front bumber folded up my foot peg and left a scratch in my left muffler.

So you did have enough room then - no worries!

wanpo
9th March 2010, 10:10
I generally filter on the motorway if the general car traffic is going slower than ~60, I'll keep an indicator on and not be riding along the white line/cats eyes changing either side of it depending where the gaps are. Had a few close calls, people pulling otu to change lanes without indicating at all or checking behind them. had to brake pretty hard, locking up the rear wheel and going a little sideways.
Closest call I've had was some idiot 2 cars ahead deciding it was a good idea to stop in order to change lanes on the motorway -_- car infront broke quite suddenly; I wan't tailgaiting so I saw it coming as was going to change into the left lane to avoid it, the driver there on my left didn't give any slack or slow down at all, and I ended up having clipping (and moving quite significantly) my right mirror on the car infront of me. Granted a lot of this was caused by ego and not wanting to stop on the motorway, but I was indicating for a couple of seconds and the car BEHIND and to my left didn't give any slack at all.

swbarnett
9th March 2010, 10:58
but I was indicating for a couple of seconds and the car BEHIND and to my left didn't give any slack at all.
Just remember, an indicator does not automatically give you the right to move over. I will generally let people in as it's the courteous thing to do but always assume that others won't.