Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accident SH16 tonight, help needed (12 March)

Bike
    Blackbird

Accident SH16 tonight, help needed (12 March)

HI guys, we were cruising up SH16 tonight, and just before the Kahikatea Flats Road turn off one of our bikes went down. Just opposite the church there is a left hand corner. This corner is all tar. It has no grip. When i went over it it felt like oil was on the road. We all need to phone the council and demand they fix it. Would appreciate as many of you as possible phoning in. I saw lots of riders go past tonight - to all of you, rider was ok, a few broken bones, and the bike wasn't rideable. We were doing about 70km, taking it safely and still this experienced rider went down. Lets get the road fixed so no one else suffers.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun!

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Sorry to hear this, what time did the accident happen? Hope the rider (was that you?) makes a full, uncomplicated recovery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    Blackbird

time was about 6:30pm

Wasn't me. I took the corner and slid a bit, but managed to stay upright. I was very relieved to make it. I saw him go down in my mirrors. He'll be fine. A lot better than the bike i suspect.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun!

Bike
    2004 Yamaha YZFR6
    Ring this number as well.
    0800 444 449
    It is the Transit Highway information number (TREIS = Transit Road Event Information System) and the appropriate Contractor will be called to at least be told about it (can't promise it will be fixed but mention the accident as well and it might get a better chance of it).

Bike
    2007 CB900
    Quote Originally Posted by Happybug View Post
    HI guys, we were cruising up SH16 tonight, and just before the Kahikatea Flats Road turn off one of our bikes went down. Just opposite the church there is a left hand corner. This corner is all tar. It has no grip. When i went over it it felt like oil was on the road. We all need to phone the council and demand they fix it. Would appreciate as many of you as possible phoning in. I saw lots of riders go past tonight - to all of you, rider was ok, a few broken bones, and the bike wasn't rideable. We were doing about 70km, taking it safely and still this experienced rider went down. Lets get the road fixed so no one else suffers.

Did you get pictures ... pictures of the road will help force the hands of those who can do the work ...
    Life is a gift that we have all been given. Live life to the full and ensure that you have absolutely no
    regrets.

For your parts needs:

http://www.motorcycleparts.co.nz/

Bike
    2018 Suzuki GSX-R1000
    That's a particularly disgusting road surface there, I overtook a car travelling towards Helensville on that same stretch on my ZX10R last year in the wet, I gently accelerated past the car (wet road, must be cautious) and the rear tyre broke traction and the bike almost spat me off (feet off pegs, opposite lock type of moment). It scared the shit out of me, I was at 4000rpm or less - what if I was higher in the rev range eh?
    The road is like a polished mirror, no grip whatsoever and dangerous as hell if there is any moisture present.
    Hope your mate is ok, it's a death trap waiting to happen

http://sportbikerider.17.forumer.com
    the DEAD forum for politically incorrect Sportbike riders!

Bike
    The mighty Zephyr
    Blog Entries
    Was that the dark-coloured CBR? We passed it last night, saw your mate getting laoded in the ambo. Here's wishing him a speedy recovery
    has developed a love of big fours. WTF!

Bike
    F-18,Ginny and #66
    Blog Entries
    So As I understand it was this corner ---> http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&so...2&ie=UTF8&z=14

Am I correct ?

Just so I know how to explain when I call up t o the council.
    Don't Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly !!!

Hey Alan, Alan, Alan....

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Quote Originally Posted by Happybug View Post
    It's NZTA's responsibility (NZ Tits & Arses ) They resealed this road twice in the past year and believe it or not it was ok before they resealed it.

Good luck getting any action from the wankers

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGBOSSMAN View Post
    That's a particularly disgusting road surface there, I overtook a car travelling towards Helensville on that same stretch on my ZX10R last year in the wet, I gently accelerated past the car (wet road, must be cautious) and the rear tyre broke traction and the bike almost spat me off (feet off pegs, opposite lock type of moment). It scared the shit out of me, I was at 4000rpm or less - what if I was higher in the rev range eh?
    The road is like a polished mirror, no grip whatsoever and dangerous as hell if there is any moisture present.
    Hope your mate is ok, it's a death trap waiting to happen
    This is the exact thing that happened to a biker I was following except it was in the dark and he fell off,I stopped my car in the road with hazzards on so following drivers didn't run him over.
    The biker didn't know what happened and thought he hit something

Bike
    triumph scrambler
    Seems a fair few of us have had a scare on that corner. Watched my mate break traction on that bend, both ends let go for an instant, & he was headed for the wrong side of the road with lots of oncoming traffic. Scary & bloody lucky.
    Will send an email to LTSA.
    Hope your mate makes a full recovery.

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    $5 says the ginger had been out with a bottle of oil...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTO View Post
    So As I understand it was this corner ---> http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&so...2&ie=UTF8&z=14

Am I correct ?
    Yep, thats the one TOTO.

Guy was heading from Peak end to Kahikatea end, so a downhill left hander...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    ZX6-R '08 and KXF 290 '06
    Quote Originally Posted by skidMark View Post
    $5 says the ginger had been out with a bottle of oil...
    I hope I never meet this ginger cop from west Auckland I've heard so much about.

All the best with your friends recovery and I'm sorry to hear about the accident.

The New Zealand really government needs to clean up the appraoch to road maintnenace that appears to be standard through out the country, "slap some tar and chipseal on top and she'll be right mate" just doesn't cut it.

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Maybe they could put a wire rope barrier there to stop bikes going into the wrong lane too??? (p/t)

Hey sorry to hear about the off. Hope the bike doesn't cause too much heart or financial pain. Hope the body's ok soon too.
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Thread Information