Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: XR 600 as a dual-sport?

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by lion.red View Post
    anyone here know the best sprocket combo for on road/off road riding?
    You mean for an XR600? Mine is geared real high - 42/15 I think (from the scrawl on my desk pad). Doing some research most people recommend stock 48/14 for road/offroad. But I kind of like the tall gearing because it's so torquey anyway you just use the clutch a bit more. And geared up you can use the gears more on the road - drop into 4th at 120 for overtaking if you want to. I haven't had it in real tight offroad situations yet so I might change my mind then .

Reading a post on the DR650 thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...t=79915&page=5 about getting some wheels for motarding - anyone got any idea of a possible fit for an XR600 without too much hassle and cost?

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Did the mid-north adventure ride in the weekend - see thread. The XR ran pretty much faultlessly. New tank was great - no worries about running out; but I did loose the rubber breather hose along the way.

Gearing was fine for this ride so will probably stick with it until I need new chain then gear it closer to standard. The Michelin AC10's performed well in all conditions. It does use a bit of oil though - not sure why. Maybe this is normal for 30000km and it's getting a bit loose. Anybody know??

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Only 30,000km?

But it may have been thrashed earlier in it's life.

BTW: How big is that tank?

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Only 30,000km?

But it may have been thrashed earlier in it's life.

BTW: How big is that tank?
    Don't know as I tipped the old one into the new one then filled it and haven't got anywhere the bottom yet - just topped it up. I think 20 litres maybe? I saw the one on DucatiJims DR650 in the weekend and it's way bigger. Mines about right - wouldn't want any bigger.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by CRM View Post
    Don't know as I tipped the old one into the new one then filled it and haven't got anywhere the bottom yet - just topped it up. I think 20 litres maybe? I saw the one on DucatiJims DR650 in the weekend and it's way bigger. Mines about right - wouldn't want any bigger.
    The Safari is a 32L

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Still trying to track down some spare wheels for the XR6. Anybody know off the top of their heads if CRF450 or YZ250 wheels would work (wait - don't they have 19" rears - would that really matter for dirt riding?) There's a set of each on TM at the moment for a 'good' price (i.e possibly do-able if I forget Christmas).

Looking on EBay in Australia and found an XR600 front wheel. Any idea how much that would be to courier??

Thanks guys.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Well finally got some wheels for XR6. $300 for the pair with good tyres and apparently were on a 93 XR600 so everything should fit. So today being a nice sunny day I decide to put them on and go for a ride (as if it's ever that easy).

Wheels looking good (pic one) what could go wrong? First problem my bike stand (various bit of scrap wood cobbled together) really didn't work that well and barked my thumb real good (pic 2). Thought I'd try the front wheel first as I figured it might be easier. All good until I went to insert the axle through the new wheel - won't fit - axle too big .

Okay off to the bearing shop - not a lot of help. There is a sleeve in the bearings they said maybe a bike shop may have a replacement. Bike shop says go to engineer and get it drilled out a bit (it's only about a mil too small). Being Saturday - end of fun. No rides this weekend....

Consequently went home to try out back wheel. Removed wheel, bike overbalances, I grab to stop falling against my car and slice thumb - more blood, more muttering. I'm so glad i didn't follow my teenage dream to become a motorcycle mechanic...

So there she is bereft of her wheels and abandoned until I'm off to the engineers on Monday to see if I can get this sorted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3180007.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	545.7 KB 
ID:	124275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3180009.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	424.6 KB 
ID:	124276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3180010.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	426.7 KB 
ID:	124277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3180011.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	534.2 KB 
ID:	124278  

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Slight progress...

Got the front fitting - now issues with the back... They look good though.

I've put them on TradeMe - i don't have time for stuffing around. Maybe they won't sell and I'll get over it and find some time to do some more work on them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3250024.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	377.0 KB 
ID:	125150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3250025.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	514.4 KB 
ID:	125151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3250026.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	519.7 KB 
ID:	125152  

Bike
    3 black ones
    good to see that your bike stand has improved from a few pieces of wood. i used to use a similar technique with the same result...

a decent bike jack makes life easier

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Yeah for sure - way easier. Been wanting one for quite awhile.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Well after putting her on TradeMe with the idea of getting something more road-worthy and getting a couple of mild responses (but no-one willing to offer me my high-but-fair price) and encouragements from you guys to just bling up the XR6 I've decided to do just that...so I've resurrected this thread so I can share my project with anyone who is interested.

Since last posting I've had the cam chain replaced, refaced the valves, rebore and new piston and run in. She's going very sweet and of course not using oil any more. The goal is to turn her into a fine looking long distance traveler that looks equally at home in Queen Street or Ahipara but can still tackle any offroad challenge. Next thing to do is new lights and plastics/stickers.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally

Headlight options

Just trying to make a decision over the best way to get more lighting power. I can get a stator unit from XR's only for $130US which will give me 2x100W pretty much plug and play apparently. That's looking like a good option. But to get an actual headlight unit isn't so easy to source. I want to replace the stock one anyway as it's pretty small even if I upgraded the bulb and the whole thing is pretty knocked about.

Ideally I want something that can run around 100W, be road legal and in a large numberplate/ small fairing arrangement that looks good and doesn't cost too much. I've been searching the interwebs and not a lot of joy - anybody know who stocks such a thing?

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)

Headlight....

I have no idea how feasible this is but Hella do a driving light unit F50? that you could mount for high beam only rather than trying to replace the existing unit. Quite a few guys use them as additional lighting for adventure riding so I assume they are reliable.
    The XR's looking good, keep at it.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
    I have no idea how feasible this is but Hella do a driving light unit F50? that you could mount for high beam only rather than trying to replace the existing unit. Quite a few guys use them as additional lighting for adventure riding so I assume they are reliable.
    The XR's looking good, keep at it.
    Yeah not sure about those if they are road legal now. I used to have one on a CB400F back in the day wired to high beam - real good I'm wondering about the Ascerbis Dimension HP which runs 35W with halogen bulbs. May be enough without having to do the stator. Anybody know who does these in NZ?

I've got a new black XR's Only seat cover and tank graphic coming from Ballards, plus a black single sheepskin ordered for the distance rides. Decided to just repaint the side covers - can't justify new ones at the moment.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally

Tyres

I'm heading off on Sunday 11th, my trip taking me as far as Christchurch; so just sorting out some essentials like tyres...

My front one (trail winner of something...) is fine but the back one is just about worn out. I'll be doing mostly tar-seal on my trip, but like to get into some gravel and maybe even some sweet tracks in the weekend I'm away around the top of the South Island .

I've scoured the tyre thread and it looks like the Michelin T63 could be a good buy, or maybe a Mitas E08? Can't find any pricing on these though. Any other ones I should look out for around the $100 to $150 mark for the type of riding I'll be doing?

Thread Information