Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Exposure Tour

Bike
    Whatever is in the garage - FXDC, Bking
    Blog Entries

Cool Northern Exposure Tour '06

The time has arrived!! Qkchk and Custard have decided to announce the Northern Exposure Tour '06

A 3 day tour during the Auckland anniversary Weekend - 28th, 29th and 30th Jan
    Up the West Coast to the Lighthouse @ Cape Reinga and back down the East Coast

The Tour includeds:

Saturday 28th Jan
    - Meet @ Westgate Shell, head up SH16 via Peak Road to Wellsford
    - Join SH1 to Brynderwyn take Maungaturoto turn off along SH12 (Same route taken as in the famous Opononi ride)
    - Pass through Dargaville, WAIPOUA FOREST (can stop to see giant Kauri tree if need be), and Opononi.
    - Take the Vehicle Ferry from Rawene across to Kohukohu
    - Rejoin SH1 and "BLAST" throught the Maungamuka Gorge (QKCHK's Old Blatting area) to Kaitaia
    - Time permitting and sore bums, could go out to Ahipara for a looksee etc..
    - Finish up for the first day @ Waipapakauri Ramp, Ninety Mile Beach Park. http://www.ninetymilebeach.co.nz/ We are staying here for two days in cabins.......

Sunday 29th Jan
    - Head up North along SH1 past Houhora, Te Kao, Waitiki Landing up to the North Cape Lighthouse
    - Last 20kms IS IN GRAVEL! If you do not wish to ride in gravel you can stay @ Waitiki Landing for a cuppa...
    - For those who have not been up to the cape, take the oppotunity to ride to the end of New Zealand, you cant go any further than the lighthouse! You can see where the Tasman Sea meets the Pacific Ocean. On a clear day you can also see the Three Kings Islands.
    - On return we drop in @ Houhora (for a icecream?) and head back down to Awanui to drop into the Ancient Kauri Kingdom (awesome walkthrough staircase inside a Kauri tree) www.ancientkauri.co.nz
    - Time permitting we could do a couple of more rides ... options open...maybe the Fish Shop for late lunch...
    - Ride back to Ninety Mile Beach Park for a drink or 5 and then settle in for a Lamb on the Spit Smorgasboard (YUMMY, just ask Custard what he thinks of it!)

Monday 30th
    - Depart Waipapakauri Ramp head south on SH1 turn off @ Awanui onto SH10
    - Travel the Beautiful and picturesque East Coast down through Taipa, Coopers Beach, Cable Bay
    - Stop in @ Mangonui Fish Shop for the best seafood and Fish 'n Chips in the area (We could do this on Sat or Sun instead if time permits....)
    - Continue to head south via East Coast's beautifuls roads through Kaeo, Kerikeri, take a slight detour through Haruru Falls to Paihia, then past Opua to Kawakawa.
    - Rejoin SH1 to Whangarei then take the Waipu turnoff...... Waipu Cove, Mangawai back to Wellsford.
    - Can go either way (SH1 or SH16) but would recommend SH16 due to Long weekend traffic.....
    - Fin.

Anyone who wishes to join myself and Custard on this "TOUR" can PM me (I don't bite) as I would like to know who is coming along so we don't leave you behind!! This will be a MEDIUM PACED RIDE (open road crusing @ 120 if the coast is clear.... not warp speed, it IS a tour...) I have included a ruff map so you can see where we are going.

You are responsible for your own bookings, we are all grown adults here (well some of us are...) if you book, can you please also make a booking for the Lamb on the Spit Smorgasboard (you wont regret it)

We have booked our accomodation for the 28th and 29th Jan with http://www.ninetymilebeach.co.nz/ or ring them on 0800-367-719. They do have quite a few cabins left. Most of the cabins can accomodate up to 4 people. Just ask them... First in first served.........

In general the long weekend up north is fine weather, so lets hope nothing changes... Both of us are going regardless of the weather.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NET'06.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	24018  

www.Ridertraining.co.nz
    NZTA Approved CBTA Instructor Assessor
    - Restricted + Full Licence Training & Testing
    - Onroad Coaching & Training
    Auckland
    Call or Txt 0210334766
    info@ridertraining.co.nz

Bike
    Blog Entries

Arrow The finer details..............

We will be meeting at Shell Westgate @ 8.30am on the Saturday morning, leaving by 9am....got alot of kms to cover...........

www.Ridertraining.co.nz
    Auckland
    Call or Txt 0210334766
    info@ridertraining.co.nz

Bike
    1999 Suzuki SV650S
    Sounds real interesting, going up to Cape Reinga is something I've wanted to do for a while. Only been there once before (in a car).

I'll have to do some thinking... I'm hoping to save enough for a new bike before uni starts again and I have to stop working. Just have to figure out if I can afford to go on this trip as well and if the Zeal will last the trip without a new chain and sprockets.

Bike
    nun
    ummm.. i'm interested;
    I've just got back from a weekend up there on the with the boys;
    great roads up there highly recommended

:slap:

Bike
    Nada
    Looking forward to meeting some of you city types up these ways:eyepoke:
    Pretty certain that we could show you a road or 10 to whet ya appetites non latte styles ( :eyepoke:again)
    See ya fullaz then e hoa

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    sounds great... who wants to share a room with me?

Qkchk, ever thought of taking the car ferry across Paihia to Russell and do the Old Russell road? I did it in november and they had just finished fixing up the road with hotmix
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapf
    sounds great... who wants to share a room with me?

Qkchk, ever thought of taking the car ferry across Paihia to Russell and do the Old Russell road? I did it in november and they had just finished fixing up the road with hotmix
    Did Old Russell last Friday. It fu*ken awesome right now.
    Bloody good views to
    New Zealand......
    The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid")

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure)
    DON'T RIDE LIKE YA STOLE IT, RIDE TO SURVIVE.

Bike
    Nada
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderInBlack
    Did Old Russell last Friday. It fu*ken awesome right now.
    Bloody good views to
    So it isn't a tary(sp) mess anymore Mac?
    Gorgeous views for sure too

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapf
    Just got back from there... with the boat in tow... BUT we had a couple of fellow KBers drop in on us while we were staying in Russell and they said the "Old Russell Road" is now superb. We may consider doin a overnighter there later on in the year. This tour could be a test for us if you know what i mean.........

www.Ridertraining.co.nz
    Auckland
    Call or Txt 0210334766
    info@ridertraining.co.nz

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TL Rider
    So it isn't a tary(sp) mess anymore Mac?
    Gorgeous views for sure too
    I've heard in the pipeline that someone wants a whole lot of hooligans to come up for the weekend to drink piss @ his house and be shown up on his home turf.............. eh Chris?

Back home on the Busa now, even tho the SP was a fine machine. I saw you drooling over it......... Would you be keen on joining us @ Dargaville or somewhere along the ride. Could always do with another Custard....

www.Ridertraining.co.nz
    Auckland
    Call or Txt 0210334766
    info@ridertraining.co.nz

Bike
    Nada
    ...Innocence personified

Bike
    Nada
    Quote Originally Posted by Qkchk
    I've heard in the pipeline that someone wants a whole lot of hooligans to come up for the weekend to drink piss @ his house and be shown up on his home turf.............. eh Chris?
    Back home on the Busa now, even tho the SP was a fine machine. I saw you drooling over it......... Would you be keen on joining us @ Dargaville or somewhere along the ride. Could always do with another Custard....
    Yeah could show ya the ropes on this riding gig eh?
    LOL...saw the SP1 in getting a medical on friday down your way ...a terminal case of Hondaism I believe
    Yeah fully keen to catch up

Bike
    whatever i can borrow
    Yeah could show ya the ropes on this riding gig eh?
    LOL...saw the SP1 in getting a medical on friday down your way ...a terminal case of Hondaism I believe
    Cheeky prick....was just havin a wee service....
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos
    theres a few people I'ld like to thank...first of all juzzer...my master and one hot buggar...

Bike
    Blog Entries

You better watch yourself, you might be in for more than you bargined for! They're a dodgey lot down here.......

Will have to organise a shindig in Whangarei, good chance for the two cities to have a brawl...

www.Ridertraining.co.nz
    Auckland
    Call or Txt 0210334766
    info@ridertraining.co.nz

Bike
    Nada
    Quote Originally Posted by Qkchk
    You better watch yourself, you might be in for more than you bargined for! They're a dodgey lot down here.......
    Will have to organise a shindig in Whangarei, good chance for the two cities to have a brawl...

...best you guys put your latte's where ya mouths are eh?

Thread Information