Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great KBer Ride - 1 October 06

Bike
    Yamama R6 & Frankie the Bucket

Thumbs up The Great KBer Ride - 1 October 06

Right...it's just about October...well not really, but this will give you all plenty of warning!!!

This will be the third year running for this ride, last year there were around 50 odd bikes and it was a great day of riding (ride reports here). Let's make it even better this year!

So here's the plan:
    Meeting point:
    Rimutex (Caltex Rimutaka)
    Meeting time:
    10am
    Departure time:
    10:30am (sharpish)
    Route:
    Over the hill and then heading around the back of Lake Wairarapa to Martinborough where we'll stop for lunch, after lunch we're off again through the backroads heading towards Gladstone, then possibly out to the coast or in to Masterton (TBC, looking for ideas here)
    Lunch: Pukemanu Tavern, Martinborough - There's a large dinning room and a great court yard space so it'll be perfect!
    The pub will put on three choices for lunch:
    • Fish & Chips
    • Cold Roast Chicken & Salad
    • Beef Curry with Rice

Lunch will be about $12, can you PM me with your preferred lunch option so I can give the pub a bit of fore warning on numbers for each meal.
    If you drink and ride, you're a bloody idiot and will create a dangerous situation for the other riders in the group. Personal responsibility is required here people!!!

We'll run three separate groups:
    • Novice - If you're lacking confidence or just want to have a real cruisy ride.
    • Intermediate - For those that are confident riding over the hill and through the twistys.
    • Expert - For those that are happy to set their own pace and know their limits.
    The Experts will depart first followed by the Intermediates and then the Novices, we'll set up points along the way to re-group.

If you find you've chosen the wrong group, either pull over and wait for the next group (signal you're OK to the sweeper as they pass) or move into the next group up at the next meeting point, please don't pass the leader of you group.

We'll arrange a leader and a tail end charlie for both the Novice and Intermediate groups (the "experts" can look after themselves), let me know if you're happy to volunteer. All levels of riding are most welcome although fluoro-vests are strictly prohibited (unless someone really wants to wear one).

No Bins Allowed

It would also be great to see some out of town riders, I'm sure between us Welly people we can put up the accommodation.

Please also register your attendance in the calendar.
    Last edited by Slingshot; 22nd September 2006 at 08:57. Reason: Updated details

Bike
    '10 R1, '07 ZX14
    Cool to see some historical rides coming through on KB It would be a long shot for us to make it down there, but then lotto might come in along with my boss letting me yet again fall sick and have to go motorcycling instead
    50 bikes is a good crew. On a big ride up here we booked the dinner/watering hole ahead, and they really raised to the occasion. Have a great event and may the sun shine on the day
    View my new blog at www.girlybikes.blogspot.com
    Perfection is not something you should ever attain, but something to always strive for. For if we actually achieve our idea of perfection, is it then any longer perfect?

Bike
    GSXR 750 (No 10)
    Love to join ya, but I'll in a right mess at Oktoberfest in Cologne Germany
    Superdukes. Serving up shame to sportsbikes since ages ago.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    I'd love to be there taking photos as usual but I'll be in Aus again on that date not getting back until 3 Oct. Have fun.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    Ill be there (sounds like a Jackson 5 song).
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    gsxr1100
    I'm in.

can I make a sugestion though, Where ever we decided to have lunch can we give them maybe 2 days notce as to how many people are coming for lunch. This way they can put more staff on to cater for our large group. Last ride I went on was to lake ferry & oh my life did they struggle still it was an awesome ride
    wanted: a tacho for GSXR 1100 1993 please Pm me if you have one.

Bike
    gsxr1100
    hope fully I'll have my next bike by then. (gsxr1100) time for a suzuki the old honda has done its job
    wanted: a tacho for GSXR 1100 1993 please Pm me if you have one.

Bike
    A few
    Yeah, all things going according to plan il show my face at this one. Sounds like it'l need someone like me or Mikey to keep things respectable and under control
    Sargent Major: "Now then, who called the cook a bastard?"
    Small voice from the rear: "Who called that bastard a cook?"

Bike
    VTR1000, RM 250 and a few toys
    Argh bloody assignment due the day after that. If its done in time I'll be there otherwise I may have to give it a miss. The problem being its a group assignment so not only have to get my own ass organised which is hard enough.
    You know you had a good nite when you have to ask someone if you had a good nite.

Bike
    Goose
    Yep im in. Great idea Slingshot
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    Bandit 250(for sale), 636
    I'll be there.
    1990 Suzuki Bandit GSF 250 for sale 39k kms $3,500

Bike
    Yamama R6 & Frankie the Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by knight rider
    Where ever we decided to have lunch can we give them maybe 2 days notce as to how many people are coming for lunch. This way they can put more staff on to cater for our large group.
    Totally agree, last year we had lunch at the Pukemanu Pub in Martinborough. I'd called them and they had arranged to start the kitchen staff early, at that stage we were expecting 20 to 25 people. When 50 odd people turned up they just couldn't cope and we ended up waiting for ages.

We'll figure something out though for this year.
    The Unknown Rider

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800
    Quote Originally Posted by Slingshot
    Totally agree, last year we had lunch at the Pukemanu Pub in Martinborough. I'd called them and they had arranged to start the kitchen staff early, at that stage we were expecting 20 to 25 people. When 50 odd people turned up they just couldn't cope and we ended up waiting for ages.

We'll figure something out though for this year.
    Yes they said they could do a lot better if they had a better idea of numbers in advance, and thats difficult with these rides. Having said that, at least the pub had the dining room space, the outdoor area, and toilets to cope with a crowd (and a bar of course) - more so than a cafe. I think the pub is a good venue, if we can work in with the catering team.
    I'm happy to do the tail end charlie thing again this year.
    Experience......something you get just after you needed it

Bike
    XB12R, FXR150, Ducati 400ss, 1125CR
    ooo if i have any money left from the BOB.. luke and I may just meet you at said pub........watch this space.... umm can we have a reminder?

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    Nothing, broke it, no $$ for a new one
    Is there room for a total nanna novice on a GN250? Would love to have a play with some other riders instead of just pootling to and from work each day (not that too much playing can be done on a GN! LOL). Hubby might not be able to come along, but I'd love to (if I'm not going to cramp anyone's style!)
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Thread Information