Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Ride Fit

Bike
    2016 GSXS 1000F
    Blog Entries

Not Ride Fit

I spent an hour and half on bikes yesterday after not having ridden one for about 20 years. First ride was with a tutor on a little bike then a ride on an SV650s demo as I am looking to buy a bike.

I found on the SV650S my hands got sore very quickly from the weight on them. The soreness is in the area of the palm where the thumb connects. That was not so bad but by the time I had finished my 40 minute run I could barely hold the clutch lever in. There was a bit of clutch work as the ride was in 50 kph area. Okay I am no longer a 20 or something year old and have to get some strength back in the hands. I think the clutch problem will go after a bit of exercise to get build the strength back. What concerns me is, will the problem with sore hands go away after a few rides or should I be looking for a bike with a more upright riding position?

My riding will be on the open road and for fun. I will not be commuting on the bike so there will be little round town and slow traffic riding. For that reason I have been looking for a bike with a screen and a sports bike - but not a super bike. The SV650S or SV1000S seems a good choice from all the posts made here, elsewhere and the articles I have read.

I don't want to buy a bike and find the problem with the hands will not go away. Can some older bikers give me some advice?
    Here for the ride.

Bike
    EX500s - Ruby
    Keep riding! Short trips for a while until you get used to it again. Relax your wrists as well, after a few years away from bikes maybe you were a bit tense.
    Maybe the bars were in the wrong position for you?
    Diarrhoea is hereditary - it runs in your jeans

If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you...

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    You are not alone in this depoartment. Why do you think sprotbikers are often to be seen sitting up with left hand on knee or dangling??
    Handle bar position can make a difference but with faired/screened bikes is not always easy to change.
    My 1100 is not bad as far as sprotbikes go, but by todays styles would be classed more as a sport/tourer (on the sportier side tho)
    It is for sale, but don't tell everyone - don't want a bidding war do you?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    2004 GT i-Drive 3.0
    Continue to ride and your hands will get use to it.

A good exercise for strengthening your grip, wrist and forearm strength is to get a piece of broomstick like wood about 300mm long and tie a length of string about the length of from your shoulder to the ground. Tie one end to the centre on the piece of stick and the other end to a weight of some sort (start light - about 1.5kg). Standing with your arms pointed straight out infront of you (which will also give your shoulders a bit of exercise) roll the stick by turning your wrists alternately and raise the weight from the floor to the stick and back down again. You will get some pretty good benefits from this.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by yungatart View Post
    Keep riding! Short trips for a while until you get used to it again. Relax your wrists as well, after a few years away from bikes maybe you were a bit tense.
    Maybe the bars were in the wrong position for you?
    My opinion is the same, but maybe try test riding a few other bikes in the same class to see if you still get sore hands, after all it might just be that (the bars to low or something). Yamaha have some nice sports/tourers.

Bike
    Buell XB12R
    I get the same issues when i ride the Guzzi (V11 le mans), especially round town...but dont have the problem on the Buell (Xb12R). Slightly more lean forward on the guzzi.

It will get easier, but I'd also suggest trying a few different styled bikes out for size, there is a huge variety these days... have fun!
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for they are subtle and quick to wheelie!"
    --J RR1000 Tolkien

yank tank at Glenorchy 2006 rally

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Work on your "core" muscles and hold yourself up with your abs and back muscles. Your hands and arms aren't designed to hold your body up all day.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    None
    I presume that your left hand was worse than the right? If it is inside your palm between the thumb and the rest of your hand I would hazard a guess at the 'lever configuration' being the reason for the discomfort.

When I first purchased my bike I had this problem and it wouldn't go away; I expected it would as my arms/hands/wrist became acustom to the style of bike.

Later on I adjusted both the clutch and brake lever and have never had a problem since. The only pain I occasionally get is in the wrist from a long journey sitting stationary for some time, such as going down the motorway.

So perhaps try adjust the lever configuration once the muscles in your hand have had time to rest.

If you sit on the bike, you should be able to put your hand out flat in a straight line with your wrist and your arm and the lever should align with your arm, wrist and hand.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
    Work on your "core" muscles and hold yourself up with your abs and back muscles. Your hands and arms aren't designed to hold your body up all day.
    Bingo!
    I thought no-one was going to suggest this!
    Your posture is VERY important. You're not supposed to lean on the bars: your hands/wrists will only get sore if you are putting weight on them. If you sit so you back is arched (stomach and bum out), and use your thighs to grip the tanks, then even though you're leaned forward, you should able to take your hands off the bars.
    Hold the grips lightly, then you aren't interfering with the steering.

If you're doing a lot of commuting, make sure the bars aren't too low. At highway speeds, the wind pressure over the front of the bike on your chest/shoulders should counteract your forward lean. If they're too low, this won't happen until insanely illegal speeds. If they're too high, then they'll be comfy commuting, but you'll feel like a windsock on the highway.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2004 GT i-Drive 3.0
    This will definitely help in taking some of the pressure off the wrists yes, loads of exercises you can do to strengthen up your core....just don't forget to work your stabilser muscles as well as your mobilisers.

I still recommend you strengthen your wrists and forearms.

PM me if you need any help with exercise information.

Bike
    masturbate more, alternating which hand you use and try a variety of grips.

I'm a total wanker and have no problems with my hands.

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisr View Post
    The SV650S or SV1000S
    The SV's would certainly be a more upright riding postion than the TL1000 (same basic engine)
    The sore hands thing,is that pain or going numb ?
    That could be the difference between just not used to riding (fitness) or age and that capal tunnel thing in your wrists...(swinging hammers for 30 years in my case does not help that)

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/c...l.htm#68973049

I found on the TL,the better the suspension set up,the less numb hands over longer distance.. I don't think i would like to ride the TL for 40 minutes at 50 kmh,open road speeds may reduce the problem quite a bit with the wind taking some weight off your arms. (non fairing bike)

If you are looking for a V-Twin there is also the SV engined adventure bikes DL650 / Navigator etc which have a more relaxed riding position with conventional bars and a small screen (i think) They sound like a great allrounder.

Bike
    2004 GT i-Drive 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dover View Post
    masturbate more, alternating which hand you use and try a variety of grips.

I'm a total wanker and have no problems with my hands.
    60mins per day for weight loss though tubby. work on your endurance.

Bike
    Buell XB12R
    but.... if it was sore due to weight resting on it, wouldn't BOTH hands/arms be sore? Not just gear lever one?

I reckon it could be due to position of levers more like what the others have said, than just weight on arms.
    Oh yeah and the Buell lever is way heavier than the Guzzi one
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for they are subtle and quick to wheelie!"
    --J RR1000 Tolkien

yank tank at Glenorchy 2006 rally

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    60mins per day for weight loss though tubby. work on your endurance.
    I wish I only spent 60 mins per day...........

Thread Information