Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheesecutter: Hawke's Bay action

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy

Cheesecutter: Hawke's Bay action

Been thinking about what we in the Hawkes Bay can add to the planned protests over the cheesecutters. I know we do not have these things here, but in our longer travels we will no doubt come in contact (not literally??) with them sooner or later. Either that, or they will start to appear in our corner.
    I think we need to do something here as is being planned in Auck/Welly/Chch.
    I am (or will be shortly) talking to Roger Moroney, who is the HBToday motoring reporter and also a motorcyclist, to see what he can do re getting a item in the paper, or perhaps Louis Peirard can do an editorial on the matter.
    I also think we need to 'gather' somewhere visible, or do a slow ride around the main roads as is proposed elsewhere.
    What do the rest of you think? Or suggest?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    See here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85 and we need to dovetail with other events.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Just got off the phone to Roger....he had heard NOT A THING about any of this. He is very interested in pursuing the matter as a journalist (and said as a motorcyclist, he is well aware of the danger of even Armco). He is meeting co-incidently tomorrow with Transit HB's chief and will be bringing the matter up with him (at least as to whether plans exist for installing that shit in our corner?.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    I should be a starter for something local. Also a starter for a trip to Taupo if needed in December.

Bike
    Not often I find other threads but this looks good John. I would try and be at anything that might be planned. I get the shits just thinking about what it would be like as you slid in to them. You would know you were in the shit.
    Are these used over seas?

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    gixxer, they are. one american i asked said they were in wide use in his state.

im in for either yours or wellingtons, or both depending on days.
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    Ok I have looked at some of the threads and it looks like nothin is going to happen. Auckland and or Wellington seem to be the places. Wouldn't it be good to all gather in Wellington and park at the beehive and put our case? If we do small rides no one is going to give a shit. But if we had hundreds of bikes in the city it could make a difference. Or a big group gather in Taupo. I mean a big group and do a slow ride down SH1.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Been thinking about what we in the Hawkes Bay can add to the planned protests over the cheesecutters. I know we do not have these things here, but in our longer travels we will no doubt come in contact (not literally??) with them sooner or later. Either that, or they will start to appear in our corner.
    I think we need to do something here as is being planned in Auck/Welly/Chch.
    I am (or will be shortly) talking to Roger Moroney, who is the HBToday motoring reporter and also a motorcyclist, to see what he can do re getting a item in the paper, or perhaps Louis Peirard can do an editorial on the matter.
    I also think we need to 'gather' somewhere visible, or do a slow ride around the main roads as is proposed elsewhere.
    What do the rest of you think? Or suggest?
    Good work MSTRS.

My input re what should be done in HB:
    - We need some sort of message/issue we are pushing. How bout thanks to the local decision makers for not have fitted (as far as I know) these wire barriers in Hawke's Bay and see if we can get a commitment not to do so in the future either! And obviously ask for a re-think re all this in the rest of NZ.
    - From all the info that is available now on here someone with time should compile the information that supports our stand point. Just to go somewhere and say" We dont like the cheese cutters" will not take us far. We need to present supporting statistics. From NZ, from overseas. From anywhere as long as it supports our view. (This should really be done for the whole movement so all have the same info so that we have a unified front.)

- Set a date for the ride.
    - Sort out a route to travel with start time and place and finish time and place.
    - Inform everyone and anyone that we know would support this of some status (celebrities, politicians, local big wigs etc.)
    - Produce a leaflet with the info that we can distribute before the event and at the event.
    - Set up posters at all local bike shops
    - Contact all local clubs and ask for support. (The MCC's and the MC's) Lets show a unified front here!
    - Come up with a slogan type: "Keep Cheese Cutters in the kitchen" or something like: "Bikers and Cheese Cutters do not mix" or "Slice cheese not bikers" or something even better...
    - Produce some sort of emblem/sticker/sew on logo that all that support the cause can purchase for a dollar or two.
    - Megafone/speeker system at the end of the ride where we tell whovere is there what it is all about.

Subtract/add as you see fit. But lets get started!!

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sunhuntin View Post
    gixxer, they are. one american i asked said they were in wide use in his state.

im in for either yours or wellingtons, or both depending on days.
    Yep I recon I have seen them in some of the bike vid's I have seen. We are going to have to push hard to get them removed/changed here then. I hate them but as I seldom see them I have not given it much attention but they will turn up here and at the end of the day we must think of the people that have to live with them on a day by day basis.

Bike
    So...is the preference to add ourselves to the Welly round-up, rather than doing it seperate?? And the Taupo one http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...97#post1259697 is great, esp since it gives us a month to get organised.

Bike

This just sent to the editor of the local paper

Hi Louis

I spoke the other day with Roger Moroney in his capacity as both motoring reporter and motorcyclist. I hope he has realised the depth of concern that most motorcyclists have over (so-called) safety barriers, in particular Armco and especially the WRB (cheesecutter) type. A young man (Daniel Evans) was killed over Labour W/e after hitting one of these and it has sparked a huge outcry by motorcyclists.

The problem with these two types is mostly the posts that support them. The W-section metal of the Armco allows a body to slip under and hit the support posts, and the wires of the WRB type only increase the gaps for bodies to be sliced'n'diced.

For 20+ years BRONZ (Bike Riders Of NZ) have been lobbying Transit to install barriers that do not increase the risk of injury to motorcyclists (or anyone not inside a vehicle). To date, there has been no success in this campaign, despite all the warnings of un-necessary injury or death. In recent years, the WRB type have been increasingly utilised in many areas around the country, although thankfully not in HB. These barriers are an almost guaranteed death sentence for any body that strikes one, even at speeds of as little as 70kph. Many other countries have banned their use, or have fitted 'skirts' of some sort to cover the posts and wires.

The WRB type should also be of great concern to car drivers, because they are designed to keep a vehicle from crossing into the path of oncoming traffic yet will flex 3 metres or more out of line, which renders them useless when installed directly down the centre of an ordinary 2-way road.

I wonder if you would be interested in featuring this subject in your paper, or perhaps doing an editorial?

If you wish to check out these links, you will find ample evidence of arguments against and ways to 'fix' the problem.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59344

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=56622

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59348

http://www.network.mag-uk.org/barrie...kdistrict.html

Please don't hesitate to ring me if you need to know anything else, and I hope that you will give this situation as much publicity as possible.

Regards

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Hi Louis

I spoke I hope that you will give this situation as much publicity as possible.

Regards
    Well done John. Looking forward to a response.

Bike
    Yeah - so am I.

Bike
    Orangy/Redy/Blacky Blingy thingy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer 4 ever View Post
    Ok I have looked at some of the threads and it looks like nothin is going to happen. Auckland and or Wellington seem to be the places. Wouldn't it be good to all gather in Wellington and park at the beehive and put our case? If we do small rides no one is going to give a shit. But if we had hundreds of bikes in the city it could make a difference. Or a big group gather in Taupo. I mean a big group and do a slow ride down SH1.
    I totally agree with the 'BIG GROUP' concept......just think for a minute about the types of people (M.Ps) that we will be protesting to...I'm sure that small provincial groups unfortunately wont have the desired impact. This folks is a huge issue and certainly warrants our full participation, if it means making a bigger than normal effort to join up with others...for example Wellington or even Auckland then I think we should do it. The outcome of this protest will leave a lasting impression...even in the minds of those in halls of power.The general public will support this protest, especially when they see us making an effort. Count on the 2 of us...
    Cheers W & D

I've learned... that to ignore the facts does not change the facts

Do you seriously expect me to believe that these politicians would implement policy based on nothing more than bullshit......

Bike
    OK. Seems like the 'better' option would be to join the Welly ride on Nov.11. We will no doubt discuss this more fully at the track tomorrow. I will continue to lobby the local paper etc. Will be approaching the bikeshops this week coming to get something on their counters to highlight the issue and the protest ride. No doubt there will be a petition sometime in the near future too.

Thread Information